Manifold Removal, Easy or Hard? And Turbo Clocking?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Manifold Removal, Easy or Hard? And Turbo Clocking?
Due to some complications I may end up fitting the TD04 myself. I'll need to go get some adaptor plates made up so will need to remove the exhaust manifold to take it to a guy I know.

Thing I'm worried about is snapping a stud, how likely is this? This is why I was going to take it to Kris as he has more experience with this but it's taken long enough already and I need to get back to work.

Will do the intake manifold too as I have a gasket that covers them both.

Also, I know the turbo needs to be clocked. This involves undoing the clamp then what? Really don't want to mess that up either.
Thanks given by:
Getting the manifold/turbo out the car is just awkward but relatively easy, getting the manifold off the old turbo can be a bit of a bastard, but just requires lots of WD40, agood dose of man up and some 6 sided sockets to undo the nuts.

Clocking the turbo can and probably will be a twat, it's the big-ass circlip on the back that you've got to wrestle with to get it out that's the problem. Once you've got the circlip out, you've then got to gently tap the housings off and spin them to the right position.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
Getting the old turbo off the manifold can be a real pain. The exhaust elbow may be completely seized, I ended up cutting the old bolts off.

and watch your fingers on the circlip! Nasty things.. and remember you need some big beefy circlip pliers to even stand a chance of getting it off.
GT2052s DTurbo
OEM+ HDI Estate
Project thread
Thanks given by:
(02-03-2013, 04:54 PM)bigcheez2k3 Wrote: Due to some complications I may end up fitting the TD04 myself. I'll need to go get some adaptor plates made up so will need to remove the exhaust manifold to take it to a guy I know.

Thing I'm worried about is snapping a stud, how likely is this? This is why I was going to take it to Kris as he has more experience with this but it's taken long enough already and I need to get back to work.

Will do the intake manifold too as I have a gasket that covers them both.

Also, I know the turbo needs to be clocked. This involves undoing the clamp then what? Really don't want to mess that up either.

I fitted an xantia manifold about a week ago never done any thing like that before, but with in 30 mins i had it all off turbo off and studs removed new gasket in and i was putting it back together. Not sure if it went really easy or it had been to bits before, as for exhaust elbow/ manifold not sure how easy they are to take off but i bet they will be a pain, probably lots of wd40 and heat might help. I need to clock my turbo to yet but im getting a mate to do it as i think i will probably brake it lol

Thanks given by:
As above really but don't forget to remove the locating dowel that keeps the turbo in line. Otherwise when you try to clock it you'll probably break it. Just separate the whole thing and it'll be clear what I mean.
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
Turbo in vice, chisel between the exhaust housing and centre housing. Smash with hammer until they start to seperate. Ensure even parallel removal otherwise bent fins turbine fins Sad as said beefy circlips for the comp side copper grease all the hot side up after abit of emory cloth cleaning on reassembly and you will thank yourself later, it will just fall apart Smile the two sections should be able to independantly spin freely in your hands before the v band goes back on. If not then more cleaning is required. My turbos are never forced back together they should just drop together with ease. Makes disassembly a million times easier and is always good practice.
[Image: 22f2b6b2-758b-4c1c-96fb-6fa9c6059b13_zpsf306b56b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Cheers for the help everyone, including Dave, even if you are a couple days late Wink

Finished it off today, will update my thread soon.
Thanks given by:
Do you just grind the locating pin off?
Thanks given by:
A grinder might be a bit heavy-handed. We used a dremel on the one in the coldside and I whacked the hotside one off with an old chisel.
Thanks given by:
The pins pull out with pliers/moleys lol
[Image: 22f2b6b2-758b-4c1c-96fb-6fa9c6059b13_zpsf306b56b.jpg]
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Will a T2 turbo fit on a K14 manifold? Dum-Dum 3 3,350 18-05-2017, 10:00 PM
Last Post: Dum-Dum
  Urgent help needed, belt tensioner aux. Easy Spoonaltap 4 1,951 15-03-2016, 03:03 AM
Last Post: maxaret
  Hitting High EGT to easy? JamesPT 4 1,798 15-12-2014, 04:35 PM
Last Post: Ruan