Aux Belt

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Aux Belt
Hello,

I am just looking for some answers to the following questions,

1) How do I gain access to the belt?
2) Do I need any special tools to do the belt?
3) Do I need to change the tensioner or anything?
4) Any hints or tips?

Thanks in advance, I am hoping to do it this weekend if the weather is fine.

Thanks

Dan
Thanks given by:
Do you know if the tensioner is the "lolly pop" shaped 1? If so, just remove the front drivers side wheel, the trim from in the arch (just the part that covers the crankshaft pulley) and using a 6mm (i think) allen key undo the 2 bolts holding the tensioner on and release pressure off the belt. The old belt should now come off, fit the new belt and re-tension, it should move about 1cm up/down or twist 90 degrees depending who you talk to when tensioned right. tighten the 2 retaining bolts on the tensioner.

You will need :

a jack
axle stand
screw driver (for any clips holding the crank pulley cover on)
19mm socket for wheel bolts
6mm allen key (a socket allen key was easier for me with extension to get to the top bolt on the tensioner)
new belt
tensioner if you want to change it or if its knackered.

Be aware, the adjustment bolt at the bottom of the tensioner screws in to relieve the pressure and out to increase tension. Its also made of cheese and more than likely the hole will be round, you may want some mole grips and a spare adjustment bolt in case... Unless you buy from a dealer you wont get the adjuster with the tensioner.
Thanks given by:
I'm not sure what tensioner is on there as not taken it off or looked at it yet, I just know it's started to squeak and its getting annoying now.

That's great info thanks for that! I am just hoping the weather is fine this saturday and I can get it done. I've already for the belt and I have them tools too so should be good to go. It just looks tight getting in there!
Thanks given by:
It is pretty tight and you will need to manouver the belt in. Its much easier if you can completely slacken the tensioner, i had to go hunting for a new adjuster bolt on saturday, along with a tensioner, and luckily got 1 from the scrappy. Nearest factors i could find with a Tensioner was 30ish miles away!

Its a good idea to have a look at the tensioner before you go to the factors as they will probably offer you 2 types. I think the "lollypop" 1 is the 1 for the DT but there are numerous other designs and for some reason it didnt associate the right 1 to my car! Took me about 40 minutes once i had the parts, and that included making a coffee, its not a difficult job at all and i did it when it was trying to snow!!!
Thanks given by:
If you get stuck i can give you a hand. Not to far from you
Venetian XUD ph2 heaven
Ph3 perv cab heaven
Black ph1 XUD died

Moonstone hdi stage 2
Thanks given by:
Cheers Karl. I'm hoping it's all ok. I have changed belts before so I do know the general idea just not done the 306 before. I will try find out when tensioner is on it before. Is it a special bolt that does the adjustment?
Thanks given by:
Just a allen key to do it mate.
Venetian XUD ph2 heaven
Ph3 perv cab heaven
Black ph1 XUD died

Moonstone hdi stage 2
Thanks given by:
Ahhh cool. Hopefully it will do fine as I can't put up with the squeaking any more. Might fit my boost gauge at the same time too.
Thanks given by:
Its a long headed allen key bolt with a flange which pushes down onto the tensioner to push it down, tightening the bolt. I think the previous owner/garage had tried to loosen this (anticlockwise) which actually tightens it, so when i came to do it the allen key hole was round...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Alternator-Fan...5895982404

this is the tensioner mine had, there are others listed which say they are for DTs although ive never seen 1 fitted. I think later ones have the same as the hdi maybe
Thanks given by:
Thank RJDubya! I will keep that in mind, hopefully it won't need a new one.
Thanks given by:
If its been on for a while then prep with plenty of wd40 on the bolts and when you loosen the fitting bolts crack the tensioner away from the engine so it will move freely with the tensioner... Helps to preserve the tensioner bolt Smile good luck
Thanks given by:
I've got the old belt off but I'm struggling to get the new one back on. I'm trying to lock the auto adjuster as in the Haynes manual but I can't turn the bolt. Any hints or tips? Stuck now!
Thanks given by:
I've done the belt finally after some messing about with the bloody spring loaded adjuster. But bad news is I still have a squeak. Where else could the squeak be coming from? It's from the drivers side somewhere.
Thanks given by:
Try spraying WD40 on each pulley then you should witch is causing the problem
Venetian XUD ph2 heaven
Ph3 perv cab heaven
Black ph1 XUD died

Moonstone hdi stage 2
Thanks given by:
Might be the bearing in the alternator or PAS pump, mine had a high pitched noise for a while until they gave up.
Thanks given by:
I've already sprayed them all with wd40 when I changed the belt. Could of done with your help Karl today, struggled lol, thankfully my neighbour helped me.
Thanks given by:
(02-03-2013, 10:13 PM)DanWY Wrote: I've already sprayed them all with wd40 when I changed the belt. Could of done with your help Karl today, struggled lol, thankfully my neighbour helped me.

should have pm'd me lol. is yours xud with aircon?. If so i have a alternator you could try
Venetian XUD ph2 heaven
Ph3 perv cab heaven
Black ph1 XUD died

Moonstone hdi stage 2
Thanks given by:
Yeah with air con(which doesn't work) I was going to pm you but it said you were not online. It's done now I guess but it was such a pain lol.
Thanks given by:
(02-03-2013, 10:23 PM)DanWY Wrote: Yeah with air con(which doesn't work) I was going to pm you but it said you were not online. It's done now I guess but it was such a pain lol.

if its still making a noise you can try alternator mate
Venetian XUD ph2 heaven
Ph3 perv cab heaven
Black ph1 XUD died

Moonstone hdi stage 2
Thanks given by:
Could do. How much would you want for it? I'm not sure if its just bedding it etc as it only squeaks at odd times lol.
Thanks given by:
(02-03-2013, 10:29 PM)DanWY Wrote: Could do. How much would you want for it? I'm not sure if its just bedding it etc as it only squeaks at odd times lol.

i'd have to have a look. £20?
Venetian XUD ph2 heaven
Ph3 perv cab heaven
Black ph1 XUD died

Moonstone hdi stage 2
Thanks given by:
That sounds alright. I'll let you know about it. Did it come off a fully working car?
Thanks given by:
(02-03-2013, 10:34 PM)DanWY Wrote: That sounds alright. I'll let you know about it. Did it come off a fully working car?

ok. Ye mate stripped a car ages ago due to the head going. Still got a few parts left
Venetian XUD ph2 heaven
Ph3 perv cab heaven
Black ph1 XUD died

Moonstone hdi stage 2
Thanks given by:
Cool. I'll be in touch.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclamation Belt slapping wildly - belt tensioned - pics added ginge191 57 28,873 25-04-2013, 09:22 AM
Last Post: Mattcheese31