Scrap, burn sell or keep?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scrap, burn sell or keep?
Star 
Right the MOT is due on MYA in April, as she stands...

-mechanically she is sound, no problems since I had her about 6 years ago!
-external body pretty good
-needs welding on the inside passenger arch by the seat by anchor (MOT failure)
-gutter above the doors is rotten and the rubber is held on by rust
-airbag light is on (I changed the pretensioners and airbag control unit yesterday but light still on)...so it's a wiring issue !
-a few other small issues.

I have no time or money to invest nor anywhere to fix her, so do I sell,scrap, burn or fix her?

Someone please help me restore the faith...
[Image: siggy1.jpg]

the smokey old bus that sounds like a tractor...
Thanks given by:
fixety fix fix
Current stable
'09 Mercedes E320cdi wagon 
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
(24-02-2013, 12:07 PM)ozonehostile Wrote: fixety fix fix

This.

You could buy a new car and have more problems.
Sometimes it's better the devil you know sorta thing.
Thanks given by:
fix it. Pretty standard problems there. Seats can be fixed in an hour or two. If the external body is good and its just a few other problems get it fixed Big Grin
Thanks given by:
I think my hearts no longer in it...don't get me wrong, MYA is fantastic around the awesome country roads around cheddar Smile

The things I need help on are...

-the airbag wiring as electrics is not my forte, how can I get around the wiring so the airbag light comes on and goes off for MOT, it's not as simple as a resistor under the seats otherwise the pretensioners and airbag control unit from pugloves non-accident dt would have solved it yesterday plus the plastic plugs under the seats have been replaced with spade connectors..hence my thinking of wiring issues!

-I do not have a welder and need the shell welded up for MOT. As it will fail as the passenger rear seatbelt anchor is just rust...so I need a fantastic member near Bristol with a welder to help.

I also forgot to mention I am moving a round the same time the MOT is due so not funds as at all, just shelled out £2.5k and rising ! Sad

(24-02-2013, 12:24 PM)SRowell Wrote: fix it. Pretty standard problems there. Seats can be fixed in an hour or two. If the external body is good and its just a few other problems get it fixed Big Grin

Sam read my below post..

Thanks given by:
Do you need the seatbelts in? Ive got this issue and im just putting a plate in, cheaper and easier but obviously you can use a seatbelt.

Are you sure the pretensioners are good? I know its not ideal but there are ways to get the light to come on and go off for mot by taking a suply of another bulb. Doesnt sort the problem but gets it through.
[Image: sig002_zpscb892e18.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(24-02-2013, 12:37 PM)PE02KHG Wrote: Do you need the seatbelts in? Ive got this issue and im just putting a plate in, cheaper and easier but obviously you can use a seatbelt.

Are you sure the pretensioners are good? I know its not ideal but there are ways to get the light to come on and go off for mot by taking a suply of another bulb. Doesnt sort the problem but gets it through.

I have a child so need the rear seat belts, do you have a welder and could weld the plate for beer tokens?

The airbag will be f*cked and probably won't go off as its over 15 years old so wire around it I say ! Any suggestions for the supply, glow plug pre-heat light supply? if i do this won't the MOT tester notice they go off at the same time which they don't normally...

I need it to get through the MOT so I can save some dollar for a new ride..

Thanks given by:
I do but i wouldnt be willing to weld on a car, only just got it and im just learning to use it. Especially on something like a seatbelt point. As you wont find out how good/bad the weld is until its too late.

Have a search on here through the airbag threads as im sure its been mentioned which bulb to take a feed off.
Thanks given by:
It wont fail the MOT on that Chris, it should. But how will the tester know its rusted? Obviously having little un in the car means you will have to get it fixed, but for the time being (until you have some spare cash to sort it) put the seat in behind yours
306oc Chat Wrote:15:30: Toms306 - :Genuinely thought it was gonna explode when I was playing with Sam
22:57: SRowell - :wtf why didnt you try harder to make me come!
[Image: connorsig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Abs bulbs has been used to take a feed off.
Thanks given by:
(24-02-2013, 01:39 PM)Connor Wrote: It wont fail the MOT on that Chris, it should. But how will the tester know its rusted? Obviously having little un in the car means you will have to get it fixed, but for the time being (until you have some spare cash to sort it) put the seat in behind yours

Tim is very attentive when it comes to his work so I guess he will find it Sad. But then saying that if Tim has worked on a car and said its a good car to buy, I would buy it without having a look around, that's how much I trust his judgement and his workmanship!

Charlie's is currently in front of the car and he loves it ! Lol

(24-02-2013, 01:42 PM)PE02KHG Wrote: Abs bulbs has been used to take a feed off.

My car doesn't have abs so I can't Sad. Any other ideas?

Thanks given by:
Go off the oil light or something.
Anything that goes off when the car has been started.
[Image: A1A3B2B1-9269-463A-9F21-2ABF4CE9BEAC-165...A3B3F7.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Good call o-b

Thanks given by:
There is literally no way of seeing that rust without removing the interior trim, which you're not aloud to do on a mot test
306oc Chat Wrote:15:30: Toms306 - :Genuinely thought it was gonna explode when I was playing with Sam
22:57: SRowell - :wtf why didnt you try harder to make me come!
[Image: connorsig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
So it's not viewable thought the inner arch, I can't get under to check hence why I'm slightly worried Sad

Thanks given by:
devil id repair it, rather than buying another car and having to go thru the full works again with a new car. at least you know what the crac is with this car. also if i can fix my rover devil you can fix the 306!
Thanks given by:
(25-02-2013, 03:43 PM)procta Wrote: devil id repair it, rather than buying another car and having to go thru the full works again with a new car. at least you know what the crac is with this car. also if i can fix my rover devil you can fix the 306!

ha ha true true about fixing the rover, i have no time/cash or nowhere to fix it hence i'm undecided. But if i can bodge the airbag light and get away with the welding for a while then i will keep MYA...just happens with expense of moving/MOT and roadtax Sad

Thanks given by:
(25-02-2013, 03:46 PM)devils_fuel Wrote:
(25-02-2013, 03:43 PM)procta Wrote: devil id repair it, rather than buying another car and having to go thru the full works again with a new car. at least you know what the crac is with this car. also if i can fix my rover devil you can fix the 306!

ha ha true true about fixing the rover, i have no time/cash or nowhere to fix it hence i'm undecided. But if i can bodge the airbag light and get away with the welding for a while then i will keep MYA...just happens with expense of moving/MOT and roadtax Sad

if you can sort the two major bits like you say then your practically nearly there! do a bit at a time devil.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Best place to sell classic mini. bashbarnard 14 2,393 12-01-2016, 07:24 PM
Last Post: RetroPug
  Best place to sell Dining Table and Chairs ct-hdi 7 1,316 20-08-2014, 01:42 PM
Last Post: 1616six
  Why can't I sell my car Jukie88 21 4,104 15-03-2014, 04:06 PM
Last Post: Razorback_Rob