standard silencer... how restrictive??

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
standard silencer... how restrictive??
I know chaps usually put mid boxes onto where the silencer should be but I'm just wondering how restrictive they really are as in , Turbo response. I don't consider my car laggy but is it really that restrictive?

I was considering getting the baffles smashed out of my silencer but will it be noticeably louder? I don't fancy an aftermarket back box as I don't want burble and I'd like to keep the 'whoosh' sound, so is it worth it?

Arron

S2 HDi >click<
154bhp
280lbs/ft
Thanks given by:
ive got pretty much straight through, and its still queit and throttle response is tonnes better. Do it mate. You wont regret it
Thanks given by:
pretty bad to be fair...
more flow, more go
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Im totally straight through mate and it is pretty loud.
Id go double mid box shouldnt be too bad then
[Image: A1A3B2B1-9269-463A-9F21-2ABF4CE9BEAC-165...A3B3F7.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Sean I was thinking an hollow silencer might hum on idle. What exhaust you got??

Oil burner would you say it dramatically sped up spool times or throttle response after you had it done

S2 HDi >click<
154bhp
280lbs/ft
Thanks given by:
I did it in stages so cant really tell you over standard
But yeah its deffo better.
I personally wouldnt go 100% straight through again if im honest, its too noisy for a daily.
Infact i keep looking to go back to a modded standard system over my stainless tbh.
I loved it at first but it gets boring quickly. Although that might just be me getting old!
Thanks given by:
Mines a powerflow. No cat. Just taken the baffles out the back box and I can't notice an exhaust note. But throttle response is deffiantly noticeably quicker
Thanks given by:
Think I'm going to hollow out the standard silencer. Is there any easy way to do this without cutting the baffles out??

S2 HDi >click<
154bhp
280lbs/ft
Thanks given by:
Do what I did mate, cut a flap in the top of the box, take all of the shit out then weld a piece of straight pipe through the empty box. Empty backboxes rattle and sound really tinny.
Thanks given by:
I've got a twin midbox exhaust, it's fairly quiet unless i'm thrashing it, ideal really.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(24-02-2013, 09:58 PM)Poodle Wrote: I've got a twin midbox exhaust, it's fairly quiet unless i'm thrashing it, ideal really.

What, as in one in the original mid place and another replacing the rear or two mid boxes to replace the rear?
Thanks given by:
Decat --> original midbox --> midbox (replacing backbox)

You need to make up a hanger for it, but i just ripped the one off the old backbox and bent it into shape. Tack weld it in place and you're good to go.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
I've currently got no exhaust post cat (french pos rusted and snapped) and while its much louder and Mich less laggy, its also lost bottom end torque. Top end is much better, but bottom is noticably worse, do you guys get that with straight throughs or does the pipe give that bit of back pressure that seems necessary for low torque?
Thanks given by:
Ive forgotten the exact figure but on a stage 2 car the scanguage indicated a 10-15bhp gain by swapping the oem back box for a straight through
Thanks given by:
(24-02-2013, 11:00 PM)Toms306 Wrote: I've currently got no exhaust post cat (french pos rusted and snapped) and while its much louder and Mich less laggy, its also lost bottom end torque. Top end is much better, but bottom is noticably worse, do you guys get that with straight throughs or does the pipe give that bit of back pressure that seems necessary for low torque?

You're confusing your exhausts mate, it's only NA engines that need backpressure.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(25-02-2013, 07:27 AM)Poodle Wrote:
(24-02-2013, 11:00 PM)Toms306 Wrote: I've currently got no exhaust post cat (french pos rusted and snapped) and while its much louder and Mich less laggy, its also lost bottom end torque. Top end is much better, but bottom is noticably worse, do you guys get that with straight throughs or does the pipe give that bit of back pressure that seems necessary for low torque?

You're confusing your exhausts mate, it's only NA engines that need backpressure.

Well thats what I thought - until my exhaust fell off. As said it's really noticeably worse bottom end BUT without restriction top end is better, so I'm thinking they do need some back pressure for low end.

It's odd though as I drove the Golf for a short while with no exhaust and there wasn't really any difference, wasnt even noisier, just whistled more, possibly to do with it being VNT though.
Thanks given by:
Well I'm going to get the baffles taken out today so I'll keep you all updated. Tom that sounds weird, in theory your Turbo should have loved the reduced back pressure

Dum dum how accurate was the scan gauge, as in did you roll the car and then use the gauge, to see how far out it was

S2 HDi >click<
154bhp
280lbs/ft
Thanks given by:
the SG was about 15% out but ive forgotten the exact number anyway. I know it was 10-15bhp though.

lets put it like this, with a standard back box the clutch held, with a straight through it had some pretty impressive clutch slip.
Thanks given by:
Was that based on your bum dyno though Tom? Thing is, less exhaust restriction means sharper spool and bigger torque spike, makes off boost performance seem worse than it is.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
This guy who's doing it is an arse. I'm thinking this might be why my rr figure was a lil low, sounds like the difference with and without silencer will be like night and day

Also the rr I went to had a dyno day yesterday and some of the figures were way out, for example a v6 2.5 corsa b making 101bhp and 200 torque! And a Leon k1 with revo map and fmic making 231, the things 260 standard!! Should of been nearer 300.

S2 HDi >click<
154bhp
280lbs/ft
Thanks given by:
I have a stage one mapped hdi and my back box had rusted out so i got a second hand scorpion one which was straight through.
Didn't really notice any difference in sound or performance had a tiny little bit more smoke if driving it hard.
Thanks given by:
(25-02-2013, 11:07 AM)Poodle Wrote: Was that based on your bum dyno though Tom? Thing is, less exhaust restriction means sharper spool and bigger torque spike, makes off boost performance seem worse than it is.

Not dynod it no, but it struggles to overtake without a run up now, it doesn't just seem slower, it definitely is lol. But at 70 it pulls up to 100+ so much easier now.
Thanks given by:
I have (Turbo ===================== not one box just a straight pipe and its only loud when putting your foot down. But my god its good
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rear Silencer and de-cat DeeTurbo 21 2,891 15-02-2015, 06:06 PM
Last Post: Poodle