New BMW M-sports are going to be diesels....opinions?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New BMW M-sports are going to be diesels....opinions?
http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/bmw- ... 2012-01-26

3.0 triple turbo diesels....what do you reckon....good move or bad move?
[Image: 43f2473c.jpg]
Thanks given by:
i like this
[Image: ocpic2.pg.jpg]
http://www.sanderson-brown.com
MrsMoonstone Wrote:Cats eyes get in the way of the racing line!
Moonstone HDi Phase 3- Scrapped Sad --- 1.6 Phase 2 - Scrapped Sad --- BMW 318is 1993 (Hyperventilates)
Thanks given by:
No reason why not. Diesels are becoming as good as patrols now so why not! Saab have been using diesels in there 93 aero. 2.8L v6 twin turbo diesel putting out about 260bhp but a stupid amount of tourqe. Also believe Audi are going to do a similar thing with some of there new 'S' range
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
"As a result, it produces 381bhp and 546lb ft of torque. In the M550d XDrive, that equates to a 0-62mph time of 4.7 seconds (the new M5 does it in 4.4), a top speed of 155mph, a combined mpg of 44.8mpg and emissions of just 165g/km"

So still pretty nippy you have to admit, and much more mpg than the current petrol M sports and much lower emissions too!
Thanks given by:
Might be quick but it sounds like a tractor! So what if my car is slower than a derv at least I enjoy listening to it ha ha
[Image: SDC10442-1.jpg]
Thanks given by:
I'd hope the M boffins have sorted adequate gearboxes... i.e. ones that won't shit themselves after a torque hike. That way people can finally begin to exploit the full potential of Bmws dervs.
[Image: brokendown-1-1-1.jpg]

Dturbo GT2259s build thread;
http://306oc.co.uk/forum/thread-3692.html

Daily driver; 330d Msport (doesn't blow up!)
Thanks given by:
BMW have denied it apparently..

http://www.pistonheads.com/news/default ... ryId=25083
Team hand-painted-commercial Vehicle
Thanks given by:
You can get as much power from a turbo diesel as you can a petrol in entry range cars so why not?
Thanks given by:
Think it's silly! It all about the sound of a meaty petrol engine.
[Image: Foxy2.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Jacko Wrote:You can get as much power from a turbo diesel as you can a petrol in entry range cars so why not?

But slap on a M5 price tag to a 'mere' diesel (as defined by a large proportion of typical 'petrol heads') and it becomes a different market altogether compared to your usual entry range diesel. The demand for which would make it uneconomical for BMW to conteplate. People in the brand new M5 price bracket have more than enough disposable income to piss up on petrol powered monsters whereas your typical diesel driver has economy and fuel savings in mind somewhere amongst their car criteria.

It's a shame though, A 4 wheel drive, bmw tri turbo diesel with a tinkered map would just fkin WIN.
[Image: brokendown-1-1-1.jpg]

Dturbo GT2259s build thread;
http://306oc.co.uk/forum/thread-3692.html

Daily driver; 330d Msport (doesn't blow up!)
Thanks given by:
Foxy-jim Wrote:Think it's silly! It all about the sound of a meaty petrol engine.

This, really. If you can afford an M5, you can afford to put fuel in it... Producing a stupidly fast performance car which costs a lot of money to begin with, to save money... Bit counter productive.

Not denying it's impressive, and BMW 6-pot deseasels actually sound pretty epic, but it's not what the M-badge is all about IMO
Thanks given by:
But the whole point of it is the fact that they are starting to clamp down on the really high emission/uneconomical cars, and I only imagine it will be a matter of time before companies start getting massive fines from various governments if they don't start producing cars that do X to the gallon and whos emissions are under a certain level....personally I think this how the performance cars of the (near) future are going to be
Thanks given by:
It's such a shame that the government are so hooked on low emissions! Global warming is a natural cycle that the earth goes through!
[Image: Foxy2.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Craig-o Wrote:But the whole point of it is the fact that they are starting to clamp down on the really high emission/uneconomical cars, and I only imagine it will be a matter of time before companies start getting massive fines from various governments if they don't start producing cars that do X to the gallon and whos emissions are under a certain level....personally I think this how the performance cars of the (near) future are going to be

They already do to an extent. That's why Aston Martin have started selling that small Toyota thing!
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Tis the work of the devil I tell ye

Anyone remember demolition man? I will be one of the ones underground with a petrol engine ha ha
[Image: SDC10442-1.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Jonny b Wrote:Tis the work of the devil I tell ye

Anyone remember demolition man? I will be one of the ones underground with a petrol engine ha ha

Demolition man....what a film! Murder Death Kill!
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Should we be concerned about our diesels bashbarnard 65 14,662 15-05-2017, 09:10 AM
Last Post: r3k1355
  Diesels in london lolsteve 57 18,355 10-05-2017, 06:22 AM
Last Post: Magenta Sunset
  ByeBye Diesels lolsteve 109 27,375 14-04-2017, 08:43 PM
Last Post: Piggy