Please help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Please help
I know this is a long shot but.....

I have a slight ticking noise coming from roughly where the alternator is, (I'll post a video later this week so you can here it) it only happens for 2-3mins at the start when cold but goes away, my first thought was the valves but its not tapping! And the noise is definetaley from the side, if the alternator is goosed does it click? Oil levels are fine too, I thought maybe check the oil pump and see if that's goosed but don't really know where to start, thought I'd check with the experts first.... Smile

Any replys would be great!

Thanks in advance!
Thanks given by:
aux belt tensioner?!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Is it a hard job to replace?
Thanks given by:
No, not at all. Depends if it is that though. Does it sound like a metal on metal grinding noise or more of a belt slipping? Does the noise come and go or is it just the first couple of minutes? Does it get louder with revs or as you drive faster?
Thanks given by:
It's not a slipping belt, miter like metal on metal, just gets more constant, only happens at the start, when the engines been running for a while it doesn't do it!
Thanks given by:
That's strange, if it was the tensioner I'd be expecting a constant noise, grinding metal on metal, getting louder when you pick up speed/revs. Stick a video up if you have chance mate, could be worth it
Thanks given by:
I'll sort it out later on possibly Monday, I'm working today and Sunday! Boooooo!

That's the story when your a chef!

Cheers for taking a minute to answer mate, I'll get a vid up by Monday!

Smile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmqRfGbjIko

Video as promised
Thanks given by:
Anyone??
Thanks given by:
sounds like cambelt is slapping on the casing!!

suggestion to pinpoint the sound...

get a long metal pole/rod...put the one end on an area of the engine...obviously a non moving part...the other close in your ear...use it as a stethoscope...move in round on engine till pinpoint the sound location
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
If the cam belt is slipping, would that not be continuous??

I'll check the casing on Monday when I attemp to get a shredded ball joint off!!
Thanks given by:
slapping...not slipping
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Ill have a look mate! That's what I meant mate! Lol
Thanks given by:
It's the timing belt casing mate, just took it off and changed it, no more noise Smile
Thanks given by: