Intermittent 'flat spot' 2000-3000 rpm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Intermittent 'flat spot' 2000-3000 rpm
Well found this yesterday, bit of a strange one.

Went to overtake a car in 4th and as I powered from about 2000rpm the car seemed to hang back then lurch forward, almost like it had clutch slip (but it wouldn't at that speed?!). Managed to re-create the problem in 3rd on the same journey, it's like a momentary flat spot, like when a petrol car bogs down?

Possible sensor problem?

Gave it a good thrashing on the way to work this morning once everything had warmed up, problem didn't occur again.
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
[Image: Sig500x130.png]
Thanks given by:
Fuel filter? Not too clued up on the electronic side of these cars yet
Supercharged XUD Project - Dead

HDi Cabby Project Click
Thanks given by:
Thing is it had a service 6000 miles ago, genuine filters etc. Everything was spotless in the filter housing too. So I doubt it could be that? But willing to eat my words!
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
Thanks given by:
only a couple of quid to change aint it!
Thanks given by:
I've read that injectors can cause this at the RPM's you describe. Others will confirm if this is the case.
Current Car: Lexus CT200h 1.8 138, 2013, 19,500 miles
Previous Car: VW Passat 2.0 TDi 140, 2005, 136,000 miles
Previous Car: Peugeot 306 XLdt (stock!), 150,000 miles (I miss this car Sad)
Thanks given by:
Doubt fuel filter, if it was enough to cause a massive rail pressure drop, the ECU would long have detected it and killed the engine, thinking that requested vs actual is so low there must be a fuel leak.

I'd go with either possible MAF problems... See if you can recreate it now?
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
Managed to make it do it on the way home, the revs shoot up but there is no real progress, then the engine kind of 'catches' and launches forward at full power again. It is like clutch slip but it would surely happen in lower gears too?

Very odd sensation...
Thanks given by:
Nah, taht's just clutch slip I'm afraid.

Won't happen in lower gears as it's easier for the engine to move the car than it is to slip the clutch, so it shoves the car forwards instead. Perfectly normal for a clutch to only slip in higher gears.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Thanks given by:
So I should start looking for a replacement clutch then? Car has done 100k so it's done well, don't know how hard the previous owner drove it but it is on a stage 1 map.

Easy job on a HDi?
Thanks given by:
It's not too bad to be honest, but in total honesty, just as long as you don't let the clutch slip, I bet you it'll be fine for another few thousand miles yet, long as you don't HOLD the power on whilst it's slipping, it'll last.
Thanks given by:
what Ruan says mine slips in high gears if i miss a cog or rest me foot on the pedal
ive learned to live with it by letting off and letting the clutch catch up once it starts
mines on 105Kmiles so its due for a new one and apparently around the same time tank fuel pumps go wrong too
so could be an expensive time soon Sad
Thanks given by:
There's a couple for sale at the moment at good prices in the parts section, best be quick. Wink
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
I'll have a butchers now, skint til next week though.

One thing that sprang to mind, is it just coincidence that its started to go or could it be a knock on effect of refilling the gearbox oil last weekend? Just seems odd that its all happened at once.
Thanks given by:
If you spilt the oil absolutely everywhere and some got in the bellhousing then it's a possibility. But realistically no it won't have effected it.
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
unless you over filled it and its pushed past the seals
Thanks given by:
Ok Sad

(22-02-2013, 05:46 PM)Poodle Wrote: There's a couple for sale at the moment at good prices in the parts section, best be quick. Wink

I had a look but couldn't find anything...
Thanks given by:
(22-02-2013, 03:34 PM)C.A.R. Wrote: So I should start looking for a replacement clutch then? Car has done 100k so it's done well, don't know how hard the previous owner drove it but it is on a stage 1 map.

Easy job on a HDi?

HDI clutch is fairly easy to do i managed to do it on mine first time I've done a clutch in 6hours the only thing that was a PITA was the Torx bits that held the clutch on the flywheel i had to gingerly cut one of mine off and get new ones all round.

Quote:"Poodle Wrote:
There's a couple for sale at the moment at good prices in the parts section, best be quick.

I had a look but couldn't find anything..."

What parts are you looking for as i am breaking a HDI currently
[Image: ForumSignature.jpg]
Thanks given by:
As above, clutch slip. It won't deteriorate that fast, mine lasted ages like that til I had the time to do it.

Quite straightforward as clutches go, not too bad at all.
Night Blue VW Golf 7 GTD : Bianca 306 Rallye : Mini Cooper D (The Mrs')
[Image: wallye-gtd.JPG?raw=1]
HDi Owner for 200k/9 years
Thanks given by:
What more of an excuse to go stage 2?
[Image: 306ocsig_edited-1-1.jpg]

306 HDI, soon to be XUD
Thanks given by:
The fact he has a little person to think of and needs a reliable car??
Night Blue VW Golf 7 GTD : Bianca 306 Rallye : Mini Cooper D (The Mrs')
[Image: wallye-gtd.JPG?raw=1]
HDi Owner for 200k/9 years
Thanks given by:
(23-02-2013, 08:02 AM)C2K Wrote: The fact he has a little person to think of and needs a reliable car??

That's a pretty good reason, I guess
[Image: 306ocsig_edited-1-1.jpg]

306 HDI, soon to be XUD
Thanks given by:
Mines been slipping like that for 3k miles now.... lol
Thanks given by: