thoroughly had enough of gti ownership

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
thoroughly had enough of gti ownership
I think ....

just getting annoyed with a few things, how much money it costs to have fun, the sever lack of any power until you're absolutely beating the shit out of it, really can't wait to get my diesel on the road,

but I love the gti!

Is it actually worth hanging onto it, body is clean as f*ck, have replaced all the front end running gear, cam belt just done, I really don't know....
[Image: signiture.jpg]
Midnightclub Wrote:All the cool kids have ph 2 Nile 6's!
Thanks given by:
Personally if you've got somewhere to store it, I say keep it. Imo these are waiting to become a bit rarer and then the value will shoot up again. As it is you wont get a HUGE amount for it, proabably in the region of £1500...

Also, although I loved my dirty derv and how it drove, there's something epic about thrashing a perv...... Until you get the fuel bill!!

EDIT: or do a Ruan if the bodywork is clean as; swap a dt engine into it HAHA!
'99 Ph3 Diablo Gti(Victor) Dead
Astor 'X' 4 GTi6-6 - SOLD! Sad
'08 LY Renault Megane RS 230 F1 Team R26 - GONE
'56 BMW Z4 Coupe 3.0si Sport - SCHWIIIING!
Thanks given by:
This^

The thing that I've found is that I'll consider chucking it in but then you get that odd day when the conditions are perfect and everything works as it should and it all comes together and i cant think of why i want to get rid Lol
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(21-02-2013, 11:10 AM)Midnightclub Wrote: This^

The thing that I've found is that I'll consider chucking it in but then you get that odd day when the conditions are perfect and everything works as it should and it all comes together and i cant think of why i want to get rid Lol

I had that feeling of wanting to get rid for the last 2 weeks with the issues I'd been having. That and when Jake posted up he'd got a mk5 Golf Gti for £6k, I was really thinking "Is is really worth all the hassle".

Then I fixed it on Monday evening. And Tuesday was sunny and dry, and so was Weds. And I am now officially back in love with the car again! I ADORE driving to work again, and can't wait for summer to clean it & enjoy it properly!!
Thanks given by:
Yeah i saw your video in another thread of your commute.. i'm quite jelly of those roads haha looks like a good hoon
Thanks given by:
(21-02-2013, 09:10 AM)Ed Doe Wrote: Personally if you've got somewhere to store it, I say keep it. Imo these are waiting to become a bit rarer and then the value will shoot up again. As it is you wont get a HUGE amount for it, proabably in the region of £1500...

This is what I keep thinking the rate people break these they're bound to become worth something one day.

seen the price of a clean 205 gti?

I did have an epic drive yesterday, picked up some wheels for the 205shed from st.ives/st just way was fun all the way back up the coast road to StAgnes, but still to get the power down you have to be beating the shit out of it, and then its near license/life losing speed straight away
Thanks given by:
You can have plenty of fun in the first 3 gears, but then again after that you're already doing 90.. For me it's the way of being half way through a corner and it's just in the powerband as you exit and the pull is awesome where as in the HDi the gearing just isn't really set up for hooning etc.. it's far too short, '6 will do 45 in first where as in the HDi you will have changed gear twice by that point and would be changing into 3rd the same time the '6 changes up to 2nd by which point it's already back in it's powerband after every gear change
Thanks given by:
think my xud revved a LOT higher than your hdi then Smile

I'm not saying its not fun to drive, it definitely is, but its the fact you have to drive it hard always to get it to go anywhere I think is the point
Thanks given by:
Yeah that was at 4.5k changes in the HDi, can't really take it much past there or much point.. I do know what you mean and driving the HDi occasionally i do miss certain things like all the low down torque but the '6 just about wins it for me.. it's the noise
Thanks given by:
That's how I ended up with a 6 in the first place ... my g/f hates the exhaust though, apparently its too loud .....

my xud was 5.5 - 6k changes
Thanks given by:
I've always said the GTi6 is a good fast road car - if you're up around the 50-120mph mark, they're actually great... HOWEVER...

They have a SHIT gearbox for anything twisty, you'll find yourself dropping to first ALL the time, it's too long - or it's just the typical GTi6 dead spot until 5k and then it does something, unless you KNOW the road and know EXACTLY what gear to be in, I just found it frustrating that it's never ready to deliver full power.

The gearbox is just WAY WAY WAY too long for the power the engine has, give the engine another 40hp coming in at the same RPM and it'd be absolutely PERFECT.

The best way of describing a GTi6 vs a Diesel - A GTi6 keeping to the national speed limits has only TWO options for full power - battering off the limiter at 45mph or battering off the limiter at 65mph in second - near enough everywhere else it's pretty dead and you're building up to that. A Diesel however will have four options for full power, but you can also just wait a little and you KNOW the turbo will soon spool and the front end will lift up and the car will be then rocketing forwards on a massive surge of torque, if you can change quick enough you'll be STRAIGHT back on the power. A GTi6 simply can't do that, you're ALWAYS building to full power, chasing the revs - great for a trackday, but near useless for every day driving on slower 20-60mph twisty B-Roads that I seem to drive on every day.

Don't get me wrong, there were times I got in the GTi6, hooned it and though f*ck me this is good to drive, but the times I get in the Diesel in the same shell and think f*ck me this is brilliant happens way more... AND to top it all off, the Diesel costs me HALF as much to run!

Personal opinion, my Diesel sounds better than my GTi6 did... Cannot f*cking STAND the typical K&N 57i induction drone of a GTi6, just sounds someone farting down a drainpipe vs the turbo induced whistling racket of hearing each valve open and close on a diesel...

Barrrrp vs Raghghghghghgh
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
For me that's part of the thrill. I don't find it lacking in go lower down really driving day to day around town or when pottering to work, but when going for a thrash I love that you have to work the gearbox hard and thrash it, it makes it so involving. I just adore it! Tongue

We've had this discussion now quite a few times Ruan, and I deffos agree that your dt would have the edge on thing like the road from Grampound to Lobbland. But on roads like my commute a 6 is much more than in its element...

Across roads you don't know the dy would hands down be quicker too as you're always in the torque band, but on roads you k ow well I find the gti6 more rewarding to thrash as you can be in the right fear all the time and you have to be 'on it' to get the best out of the car.

Just my personal preference.
Thanks given by:
Give me a GTi6 with as said an extra 40hp and 60lb.ft where peak power normally falls on the same gearbox and they'll be absolutely brilliant, until then they're just a bit underpowered for the gearbox they're joined to.

Or get a shorter final drive... A GTi6 with a short final drive would be incredible on UK roads IMO - If anyone can count on one hand the amount of times they actually battered off the limiter in 5th going into 6th and kept on the power - I'll be surprised... If the gearbox was shorter, you'd get through those gears faster and have more options until the national speed limit of getting the power down.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
(21-02-2013, 12:52 PM)Ruan Wrote: Give me a GTi6 with as said an extra 40hp and 60lb.ft where peak power normally falls on the same gearbox and they'll be absolutely brilliant, until then they're just a bit underpowered for the gearbox they're joined to.

Or get a shorter final drive... A GTi6 with a short final drive would be incredible on UK roads IMO - If anyone can count on one hand the amount of times they actually battered off the limiter in 5th going into 6th and kept on the power - I'll be surprised... If the gearbox was shorter, you'd get through those gears faster and have more options until the national speed limit of getting the power down.

Very True.
I spose it's much what you're saying to a certain extent, but have you seen that video of ChrisRallye's Rallye with the shorter final drive? Goes like shit off a shovel. Though that would probably also be something to do with the nearly 290hp as well....
Thanks given by:
if you have done all the front end etc, be silly to get shot. just put the car on a limit second car pol and use it for a summer /weekend burner.
Thanks given by:
This is why I bought a 106 GTI instead of a '6 a while ago. The 106 was amazing on country roads, bugger all weight, great gear ratios and gearchange, wide power band, amazing grip and handling, I genuinely think a '6 would not stay with a 106 down a lane over the Yorkshire dales despite the extra 47bhp, and it was even good on fuel, 30mpg running to work and back (where my DT manages 34mpg) and I even got 49mpg on the way down to Cornwall!

I want another. I rarely regret selling cars but I regret that Sad
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by:
I get 34mpg+ on my commute generally.. About 380ish miles to a tank Smile but admittedly that figure plummets when I'm enjoying it!!
Thanks given by:
Tempted to sneak in with a last minute blind bid for this actually...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1997-PEUGEOT-1...3f22353376

(21-02-2013, 09:14 PM)Ed Doe Wrote: I get 34mpg+ on my commute generally.. About 380ish miles to a tank Smile but admittedly that figure plummets when I'm enjoying it!!

Mine is 5 miles of crawling traffic, the Skoda got 18mpg on it!
Thanks given by:
(21-02-2013, 09:14 PM)THE_Liam Wrote: Tempted to sneak in with a last minute blind bid for this actually...

(21-02-2013, 09:14 PM)Ed Doe Wrote: I get 34mpg+ on my commute generally.. About 380ish miles to a tank Smile but admittedly that figure plummets when I'm enjoying it!!

Dooo it! Buy the 106!!

And you've seen my commute! Tbh it's a miracle I get anything above 25 really but the weather plats a big factor in how fun or is to drive...!
Thanks given by:
(21-02-2013, 09:32 PM)Ed Doe Wrote:
(21-02-2013, 09:14 PM)THE_Liam Wrote: Tempted to sneak in with a last minute blind bid for this actually...

Dooo it! Buy the 106!!

And you've seen my commute! Tbh it's a miracle I get anything above 25 really but the weather plats a big factor in how fun or is to drive...!

I'm really tempted, the only reason I sold mine was I needed money fast and a guy offered me £200 more than I paid for it plus a decent mk3 Golf, so I had no choice really Sad

The only things I disliked was the lack of space and the fact that it was at nearly 4k revs at 70...
Thanks given by:

How do you manage? Lot more than I'm getting Sad
Thanks given by:
(21-02-2013, 11:08 PM)kernow_joe Wrote:

What do you get Joe? I get about 28/30 from my S16
Thanks given by:
I only average around 23 ATM.. But that's mainly only hoonage and town driving, on the way to ace and back I managed over 450 miles to a tank
Thanks given by:
(21-02-2013, 11:08 PM)kernow_joe Wrote:

To be fair mate you can see your work from your house, does it even get warm?
Thanks given by:
(22-02-2013, 08:03 AM)THE_Liam Wrote: To be fair mate you can see your work from your house, does it even get warm?

Nonsense, it's 17miles away! It's warm by about 8miles, and I never use more than 1/3 throttle or go above 3k until the oil is half-way up to 90, and even then I don't give it full beans until it's well up to 90..!

I dunno Joe, but I've consistently managed 33mpg over the last few months, and I even got 38mpg from the tank when I went to Ruans, despite beating it some when I got there Tongue

On the 33mpg runs I have been driving it pretty sedately. The ovalled hub I had made for some very interesting handling characteristics, which didn't exactly encourage me to drive it quickly lol!! I fully expect it to go down now the weather is getting drier..... ninja
Thanks given by:
lol think Liam was aiming that at me Ed, my work is literally 30 seconds away from me. I do drive further though.

I filled up and since have put another £25 in and have done around 340 miles and on the red, I know this is not exact but the closest I have ever worked it out, will keep a note and work it out next time I fill up, so considering the amount of short journeys I do its not THAT bad
Thanks given by:
(22-02-2013, 08:57 AM)kernow_joe Wrote: lol think Liam was aiming that at me Ed, my work is literally 30 seconds away from me. I do drive further though.

I filled up and since have put another £25 in and have done around 340 miles and on the red, I know this is not exact but the closest I have ever worked it out, will keep a note and work it out next time I fill up, so considering the amount of short journeys I do its not THAT bad

http://www.torquecars.com/tools/uk-mpg-from-km.php

Use that to calculate your mpg Smile
Thanks given by:
You must have some damn tight roads to want to be in 1st gear in a 6, I can't think iof anywhere i'd be under 40/45mph on any of the fun roads around here, including one with a hairpin!
Thanks given by:
I agree about the gearbox, I guess having such a high top speed looks good on paper (especially at the time it was released). I normally feel doubt about owning a 6 building up inside me driving around in the city and when the weather is crap, then a nice dry Sunday comes along and I head out into the countryside for a couple of hours and all is forgiven. :-)
[Image: sigjpg.jpg]
Serious.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Reflections after 6 months ownership oldboy 5 2,988 23-04-2019, 10:48 AM
Last Post: Magenta Sunset
  Reflections after 6 months ownership oldboy 2 1,793 11-03-2019, 10:40 PM
Last Post: Mighty306
  Might be leaving Peugeot ownership lewisdmz 14 2,976 02-08-2014, 10:24 PM
Last Post: toseland