Forged engine build, to go in the 3 door project car. Parts and advice needed guys.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Forged engine build, to go in the 3 door project car. Parts and advice needed guys.
Yeah boost actuator is such an easy install.
Thanks given by:
so I think today was a productive day, couldnt find a victor reinz head gasket all morning. Then luckily Frenchies autos in Redhill came to the rescue.
With that bought we set about rebuilding the engine. By the end of the day we were had got this far:

[Image: 2E0A6451-49C2-4469-9DDA-6A43261A7354_zpsitoq5bcn.jpg]

Here is the Bosch, no idea to what standard it has been built to but for the first 600miles it won't matter as there is no ragging it around.

[Image: 3B819F01-5F32-4991-9394-09EA0A8FDD46_zpsyqvhrmej.jpg]

Rear of the engine:
[Image: 8EC997E7-6394-4B8D-9440-156E471081CC_zpsqore3svb.jpg]

And does anyone recognise this Pistons? They are different to the ones I fitted from my dturbo engine.
[Image: 179337FD-DBF7-4131-A5A6-DE0C631BBF1D_zpszduzzdmm.jpg]
Thanks given by:
So did some more work today, finished fitting everything else to the engine.

We have looked at how the turbo is going to fit, just need to get the pipe work changed and get it mounted up the. Fit the engine and hope it all works and does destroy itself.

Engine waiting to be craned into the car, after a bit of cut and welding.
[Image: A91E8BFC-A821-41E1-8A06-EB625F57A0F5_zps1crid1v8.jpg]

Finished engine bar a few items that need hooking up.
[Image: BF5F2BAC-2078-490B-8528-3236598C5217_zpsjk7lrxk9.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Question for all those who have built engines, did you use running in oil when you first started the engine up?
Thanks given by:
I just use something like halfords oil for the first 50-100miles then swap for something better usually castrol etc
Thanks given by:
This is THE longest project thread ever!
Thanks given by:
I would not say its the longest thread ever. But it is taking a long time to complete.

I have a load of things on the go at the moment, and the past two years haven't been the most successful of my life.
Thanks given by:
Sorry I meant time wise, it's certainly not page wise!

I remember this being in Kris' garage when I had my black 3dr lowered, that was years ago!

Glad to see it's on it's way to being completed.
Thanks given by:
Started this in Feb 2013, swap over of parts from the old 5 door started May 2014.

I cant wait to get it back on the road and working again.
Thanks given by:
and so it continues..............................

So a week or so ago, we spent some more time on the car. I knew I was going to have some issues as I always do.

So we started by fitting the engine so we could see what went where and how the manifold was going to fit with the new turbo going in.

After seeing all the good success you guys are having with the VNT turbo's I really wanted to go that way with this car even if its just keep it low on boost and under control to begin with. I have read up on a few threads on here, and seen how people are cooking their turbos and engine's which is something I don't really want to do.

So with a the engine in, we went out making up the manifold for the turbo along with the bracket and downpipe.

Everything was going well until it was time to split the turbo so we had all the inlets and outlets pointing in the correct directions. So basically we cracked the turbo house and now need a new one. You will see from my other post on the condition of the turbo that arrived today that I am still in the market for one, but I am sure I will find one. But maybe not in time for this weekend.

Things do to:

Buy turbo.
Fit turbo and oil lines into the car.
Finish off the downpipe to exhaust fitting.
Wrap and spray the manifolds then re-fit to the car.
Fill the engine with liquids and other life giving substances.
Final check of everything...............then start the engine.

Change out top mounts.
Swap the tyres.
Get the blower mount to work in the dash.
Wire up gauges......need to get EGT and EMP gauges too.
If I have some spare cash, paint the car and alloys.
MOT, Tax, and Insurance.
Get an alarm fitted.
Look into possible rear diffuser setup.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thanks given by:
sick project! just read all the way through, anymore updates?
Thanks given by:
That VNT looks scrap, hope you get a refund.
Thanks given by:
(24-11-2015, 06:49 AM)Dum-Dum Wrote: That VNT looks scrap, hope you get a refund.

I was thinking the same thing -  I had a much older VNT and the vanes were much cleaner and smoother than that...

A tricky one that  Huh
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:
wow just read through the thread and its looking fantastic.
Really pleased you didn't cop out when things were going rough, as im sure you will be when this is done. keep up the good work
Thanks given by:
Yea money refunded on the VNT, I know have anyone one which looks like it is in much better condition.

Me and Kris have made new exhaust bits to get everything to fit.

I am hoping we will have a running car in the near future.
Thanks given by:
So over the last two days I managed some time off work to go work on the car with Kris.

Turbo has been spun around so the inlets and outlets are pointing in the right direction, just need some gaskets that have done missing and the metal gasket that sits inside the turbo.

Finished off the exhaust, building brackets and get the original exhaust mated up with the new down pipe.

Also managed to remove the old top mounts, and fit the new Baker BM top mounts.

So been online and bought the gaskets, and bolts and bits and pieces to finish off the bigger bits on the car, still looking for the internal turbo gasket, but been busy with work today so no time to research.

Still looking at ways to control the turbo, anyone used the DigiBoost control boxes off ebay???? I get the feeling it might not be best way to control it, but was wondering if it was better than the boost can method.

Also need a few 306 bits, arch liners, wing mirror, and other smaller items.

Been a while since we last worked on the car, but all my time, money and effort has been focused on my job, the holiday just been and the future plans of marriage.
Thanks given by:
nice to see that you are still working on it, even if its only a small amount of time.
Thanks given by:
might be done in the next month or so. Just need to sort out the VNT control. Then get it MOT'd, taxed and insured.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  DeeC’s 306 VNT Turbo Build / Show Car Project darrencurry0808 63 22,953 30-12-2020, 01:45 PM
Last Post: darrencurry0808
  My first ever project and build! conorpierce 38 9,397 28-04-2016, 10:22 PM
Last Post: MY95
  Project XU7JP4...ADVICE PLEASE! RoloGTI 30 7,865 11-07-2013, 04:12 PM
Last Post: RoloGTI