Something Not Right

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Something Not Right
Hi all. Don't normally post as, so far, all's been well with my motor since I bought her back in July. However, this morning she fired up as normal but then went very spluttery in idle for a few seconds. The engine sounds quite 'rattly' when I pull away and she seems to feel ever so slightly lumpy - as if she's misfiring every once in a while. She's fine in the cruise and the revs are steady when stopped. Anyway, got her into work and parked up and revved her up to about 3k and noticed a fair bit of blue exhaust - nothing on idle revs. Any idea what the problem might be? I'm no mechanic so any advice would be appreciated!Huh
Thanks given by:
Blue smoke and spluttery when first started... Do you get much turbo whistle? Does it smoke as much if you keep the revs right down? Could be the turbo on its way out, but need a bit more info to be sure.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(19-02-2013, 10:21 AM)Poodle Wrote: Blue smoke and spluttery when first started... Do you get much turbo whistle? Does it smoke as much if you keep the revs right down? Could be the turbo on its way out, but need a bit more info to be sure.

This. Blue smoke is oil burning might be worth checking your breather pipes first
Supercharged XUD Project - Dead

HDi Cabby Project Click
Thanks given by:
There's no smoke when first starting and the turbo isn't really whistling at all. Strangely, I had a whistle that sounded like it was coming from one of the air vents when I have the fan on but that went away (constant tone, no undulating sounds like a turbo would make). As I say, the main symptoms seem to be a little 'clatter' as I pull away and move up from gear to gear and the occasional, momentary dip in pull at the same time. I'm popping home from the office in a mo and will see how she starts after sitting in the sun all morning. Could it be a fuel filter thing?
Thanks given by:
Could be if the fuel filter hasnt been changed in a while, doesnt explain the blue smoke though. Are you sure it ismt just black smoke? Its normal to get some smoke when revving the engine unloaded, especially if you drive her gently.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Just driven home and back to work. Spluttery startup again and a little misfiring until I got going. I had quite a bit of blue/grey smoke when I started up to come back to work but this went when speed built up. The blues smoke is intermittent and not happening when on the move. Clattery sound seems more pronounced with the little lack of pull that occurs from time to time. Just parked her up and revved the engine again and no smoke. It's deffo blue not black. I checked the oil level and it is fine.
Thanks given by:
Definitely sounds like oil's getting in somewhere, turbo being the prime suspect im afraid. As said, check your breather pipes just in case. Its not pressurising the coolant?
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
change filters and go from there . . . .
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
Thanks Poodle. Excuse the ignorance but what would the symptoms be of pressurised coolant?
Thanks given by:
Squeeze the top radiator pipe while the engine is running and warm, if its hard youve got pressurised coolant.

Matt has a point, when was this last serviced?
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Thanks. I bought the car last July from a dealer who had it 'serviced' as part of the package, although I don't know if that included a replacement fuel filter. If it didn't, then heaven knows how old the current one is! I only do short hops around Plymouth and have clocked up about 7k miles in that time. I have her booked in for Thursday morning for a look-see by my local garage and may well get the RAC out tonight to have a quick look based on what you guys have said.
Thanks given by:
yeah i know the one's . . .those non-existent dealer services ... . . lol . . .best to check mate . .Smile
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
Umm...don't know how to say this but...it seems that after having been driving a hired Fiesta all weekend on a trip to London and back, yours truly only went and unwittingly put unleaded in his OWN (diesel) car!! DOH!!!!! Problem resolved. Feeling very stupid and contrite - but relieved to have a working motor. Thank heavens I only put a tenners worth in!
Thanks given by:
Haha classic, you did well not to ruin anything fundamental

S2 HDi >click<
154bhp
280lbs/ft
Thanks given by:
Fail! Lol but fair play for being honest and as said at least you didn't break anything!
Supercharged XUD Project - Dead

HDi Cabby Project Click
Thanks given by:
lmao

Oh well, nice easy fix haha!
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Rofl
PMSL

Nice one, I've not laughed this much in ages, but glad you got to the bottom of it.

I've done it myself and luckily I only put a couple litres in an empty tank and then realised.
Thanks given by: