Hdi estate - fuel leak

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hdi estate - fuel leak
Got a slight bit of fuel weepage at the front of the offside rear arch.
Looks like its dripping of a little corrugated hose between the arch and the sill.

Read a little about this being an issue here, sounds similar.

http://www.306gti6.com/forum/showthread.php?id=131391

Is this a common fault?
Anyone else had this?
Thanks given by:
Bonjour, that would be me (tvrfan007).

Yes it will be the corrugated hose, and you can't get it from Peugeot - it's shit anyway. Start lacing the bolts on your tank bracing with WD40, and you can drop the tank by enough to attach it on the top of the tank through the hatches for the fuel pump, and the other end attaches to the bottom of the filler necjk. Use a length of fuel hose from your factors. Smile

Only seen it a handful of times, took me a while to figure it out. Keep below 40 litres in your tank and you can survive for a while.
Night Blue VW Golf 7 GTD : Bianca 306 Rallye : Mini Cooper D (The Mrs')
[Image: wallye-gtd.JPG?raw=1]
HDi Owner for 200k/9 years
Thanks given by:
Here you go, I even went and found my pics for you, took some finding lol.

[Image: 27032010979.jpg]
[Image: 27032010980.jpg]
[Image: 27032010981.jpg]
[Image: 27032010982.jpg]
[Image: 27032010984.jpg]

It's the one with corrugations on, my screwdriver is touching it in the second picture. I couldn't even see the split on mine but it was soaked in diesel.

[Image: tankducts.jpg]

Part 3 but no longer available at Peugeot.

3 years later I still don't have a leak there. The hose is 13mm from memory (half inch) but you need to check. 1 metre will be enough i seem to recall. It will be slightly too big for the bit on the tank, but nothing a jubilee won't sort, and it'll be slightly too small for the filler neck. Put small slits in at 3,6,9,12 and dunk it in boiling water then slip it over and jubilee it. Worked a charm for me.

Only downside is that car takes noticeably longer to fill, tends to gurgle for ages, but if you don't care for the last 3 litres or so you can ignore it.
Thanks given by:
Cheers fella, that is feckin brilliant.!

Seriously, thanks very much, this has peed me off big time as all I have done lately is work on cars!
This was potentially one of those things that may have been beyond my patience, but actually looks pretty easy.

Ha, my hands look as bad as yours do in the pics!
Thanks given by:
Mine has started leaking at number 2 Sad
Thanks given by:
(19-02-2013, 06:18 AM)Just Sean Wrote: Mine has started leaking at number 2 Sad

You mean the other hose dude?
Thanks given by:
This is great, Now I know what to look for when I am sorting my leak out!

Thanks for pictures fella.
Thanks given by:
No problem. Peugeot changed the tank breather system sometime in 2000 and introduced this problem I seem to remember, mine is 2001. If your car is older, I can get the other image but you shouldn't be having this. I stripped a 99 hdi and it was different.

Pull your access grommet out for the lp fuel pump and you might see the tank is wet on the side like mine in the pics.

(19-02-2013, 06:13 AM)mad306man Wrote: Cheers fella, that is feckin brilliant.!

Seriously, thanks very much, this has peed me off big time as all I have done lately is work on cars!
This was potentially one of those things that may have been beyond my patience, but actually looks pretty easy.

Ha, my hands look as bad as yours do in the pics!

I'm wearing gloves lol! Usually do but not always.

No worries, I know how annoyed I was when I found the stain under my car in the works carpark originally, was very frustrated as I do a lot of commuting, so 40 litres limit kept me visiting the pumps more often. You can use the rep system under peoples posts if you want to thank people. ThumbsUp

Sean, filler elbow is easy, you can just manhandle the neck which only had a Couple of nuts. Elbows appear on Ebay as Peugeot old stock (clicky, you just need two jubilee clips as Peugeot use those crap ones that rust badly. Before and after pics in my rallye project thread, common on the petrols to go there but not seen a diesel do it, mine is still on the original. Edit, they've put their prices up a bit it seems - only £36.08 inc vat from Peugeot now 1505 YX, though still good value if you are a way from a Peugeot dealer.
Thanks given by:
Gonna tackle this at the weekend as im running low on fuel.

So all I need is some 13mm ID fuel hose, some jubilee clips and a whole load of patience?

I've been spraying the bolts up for a week!
Thanks given by:
I think it's 13mm yes but it's been a while (Spent almost 2 years out the country lol), but i'd advise you to do it on a day when the factors is open. I found 1m to be spot on, trimmed about 20mm off the end of it to tidy it up. As above it'll be a touch too big and need a jubilee clip on the tank, a touch too small and need some persuading/jubilee clipping on at the base of the filler neck. I put some slits in the end at the 4 positions and dunked it in a cup of boiling water to persuade it on. Fiddly, but goes.

Just looked at servicebox, the above pics are for my hdi, but the estate lists 157776 for part 3 - 23.59 inc vat. I'd still use hose tbh, given how flimsy it is you'd probably break the new one installing it.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Enough of a leak to be a concerning boost leak? MY95 27 3,988 14-03-2016, 07:18 PM
Last Post: Midnightclub
  Estate fuel tank camoturd 12 2,071 03-12-2015, 08:10 PM
Last Post: camoturd
Exclamation fuel leak Leemus 5 1,852 04-12-2014, 06:49 AM
Last Post: Poodle