Hack a car!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hack a car!
Thought this might be of interest to some of you. A mate showed me this on youtube At 4:44 in the guy starrs talking about hacking a car through things like the radio and being able to control the brakes! Firstly WTF and secondly anyone know anything about this. I'm sure the 306 is too old to have a lot of the stuff but it sounds interesting in a scary way.
Thanks given by:
It wouldn't surprise me if it was true!

I doubt the 306 was entirely comprisable.
I Black mask Crystal headlights, check out my Thread
Black mask Service
Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club
Thanks given by:
Good luck hacking my XUD
Thanks given by:
Through a CAN BUS car maybe but Im gonna be honest I highly doubt it.

The brakes are mechanically controlled an almost all cars with no way of electronically operating them, He might be able to stop the abs working though (ooh im so scared)

Also for the car to be hacked via the radio surely it needs to the radio to be turned on and set to the right (wrong) frequency.

Im gonna call BS on this one TBH
Thanks given by:
TED talks aren't in the business of bs, you may be regarding it too literally. These talks are about theoretical discussion - it's about thinking and experimenting, educating. The problem arises when people start watching these talks like they watch the news, now the news is bs lol.

If you watch the clip he does specify "modern and future cars", TED are all about the cutting edge, so if they say modern they're unlikely to be talking about anything more than 5 years old. It is all integrated these days, how else do you think you can read a manual, display codes, view the trip computer, monitor vehicle health, adjust the radio and work the satnav all from the same screen?
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
I know Toyota had some development cars on the road a few years ago that they could remotely access and monitor aswell as turn things like lights and radioes etc on.

And on high end cars if they breakdown the ecu can be remotely accessed to diagnose the problem, reset the ecu , clear the fault codes etc
Thanks given by:
As most of you saw on Top Gear last week, Jeremy was phoning a helpline when in the USA. They would then put his destination into the satnav remotely, no reason why that same technique couldn't be used to do other things.
Thanks given by:
What about the BMW's that are being nicked by wirelessly accessing the ecu to tell it the transponder your using is the right one for that car so it lets you unlock the doors, start and drive the car away.

Manufacturers think they make it difficult to do illegal things to cars by added electronics but in the end it's just made the job a whole lot easier. Look at clocking, in the old days it was a bit of a pain to rewind the clock and took some time but now plug in a laptop and it's done near enough instantaneously.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Empire Four Kingdoms - hack? Piggy 2 1,026 01-01-2014, 03:12 PM
Last Post: Piggy