306 HDI Meridian Engine Management Fault

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
306 HDI Meridian Engine Management Fault
I am about to drive my car off the end of a cliff.
I have just changed the fuel filter (something that i have done for years with my VAG cars) and now for some reason i am getting an Engine Management Light. I have done nothing but change the filter. Engine speed is limited to 30mph too..... Anyone got any suggestions?
Thanks given by:
You need to read the fault code to start with and see what she's upset about.

When you say restricted, why can it only go 30? Is it powerless? Limp mode is 2000rpm limitation iirc.

Retrace your steps and see if you've disturbed anything.
Night Blue VW Golf 7 GTD : Bianca 306 Rallye : Mini Cooper D (The Mrs')
[Image: wallye-gtd.JPG?raw=1]
HDi Owner for 200k/9 years
Thanks given by:
if its only happend after changing the fuel filter,
id take the lid back off and check and make sure if its sealed correctly,
Thanks given by:
Red plug behind it? That's the closest one I can think of. Also check you haven't nudged the rail pressure sensor plug, though I doubt you'll have done that.
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
Ok, I'll brave the dark and check the connections first.
Thanks given by:
Just don't unplug them with the engine running...
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
Sure the top is on properly and not letting in air?
[Image: mcetg0.png]

ZR VVC Homebrew mapping project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=14360
Thanks given by:
Ok I've checked all the connections and they seem tight. The eml is still on I think I need a code reader!
Thanks given by:
Right I have re checked them and one of the snap on connectors on the top was not connected properly. I have snapped it back on and the engine management light went out, however it is now back on and when I turn the car off at the ignition the engine continues to run for 2-3 seconds before turning off. This is getting really odd now, anyone got any ideas?
Thanks given by:
Running on is usually a sign the FPR needs a good clean. It's on the end of the HP pump away from the cambelt, held on by two torx bolts.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
did you prime the system before you started the car?

youve probably got air in if you didn't

to prime once filter is changed
turn ign on wait for Tank pump to stop do this for 4-5 times you should hear air bubbling back to the tank and stop

also when you change the filter always drain the bowl dry and clean before putting a clean new filter in.
if you put new filter in the old diesel in the housing you will pass crap to the pump this needs to be avoided at all costs!!
Thanks given by:
Hi cully, I cleaned out the bowl but I didn't prime the system. Shall I try priming it now? Really wish I was any good with Peugeots!

I have noticed small amounts of diesel on the outside of the housing coming from te lid. Used a new seal and it is tight?
Thanks given by:
you could try priming it if its air you will eventually pass it

as for diesel outside the housing check it for cracks and see if the o-ring is seated right not twisted
remember this is pressurised from the tank pump so don't open it too soon after stopping the car
Thanks given by:
It's not just peugeots, you need to do the same for any CR diesel.

Is the spring washer still in there ok?
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(16-02-2013, 01:01 PM)Poodle Wrote: It's not just peugeots, you need to do the same for any CR diesel.

Is the spring washer still in there ok?

Hi, I also have an Octavia VRS 2.0 TDI CR and I change the fuel filter on that and it doesn't require priming. VAG cars self prime on startup, same for the PD engines too. I suppose it makes sense though.

Yes the spring is still in there, it is seated in the ridge on top of the fuel filter.

I have stripped the housing. Cleaned it, and replaced it and primed it as suggested and now the light has gone off and it is running fine. The leak is still there from the top of the housing but not as bad as it was before.
Thanks given by:
The fault it back! I think the leaky fuel filter housing may be the trouble!
Thanks given by:
Oh really? My mistake, thought it was fairly normal.

Yeah, any leak from the fuel filter housing will be enough to lose pressure in the system. Is it a genuine filter? How tight are you doing up the lid? Always feel like i'm going to break mine before it twists home. :S
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Yes it are I always thought that my skoda would require priming but it turns out that it doesn't as they have Self priming pumps.
The filter that I have used is a Guttmann So I think this may be the cause of my problem It is hindered by the fact that there seems to be a small leak from the lid at the fuel filter housing.
I notice that Bosch do a fuel filter housing unit complete with seal and fuel filter for £38 I think it might be a worthwhile investment.
The fault is now getting less and less and I notice that the engine management light only comes on when the car has over run, ( this now only happens 1 in 10 times).
Thanks given by:
where have you seen the filter housing for £38?
thats cheep
Thanks given by:
[Image: y3y3udyt.jpg]

http://www.carparts4less.co.uk/cp4l/c/Pe...680&000140
Thanks given by:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PEUGEOT-2-0HDi...460c689706
Thanks given by:
Jesus, both of those are cheap! Peugeot wanted something like £85+vat when i asked for a quote on the lot as a package LOL. :S
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Blimey that is cheap.... think I might order one myself. Saves any hassle Smile
Thanks given by:
Sorted. Fuel filter housing was to blame
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Engine management light came on ,, 306 hdi barnesy213 10 4,042 25-05-2016, 07:08 PM
Last Post: DeeTurbo
  Engine Management Light Is On Josh1994 1 1,204 05-07-2015, 06:46 AM
Last Post: Poodle
  Engine management light E_KEL95 2 1,426 11-04-2014, 08:51 AM
Last Post: Poodle