Knocking noise on low rpm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Knocking noise on low rpm
Hello all!
Right ive got some stupid knocking noise when the car is stopped and the clutch is at biting point, continues as i slowly pull off, and when it gets over 1.2-1.5k rpm it goes and dosnt come back.
It also does it when im in say 3rd at stupidly low rpm, but soon as it starts to pick up it goes again.
Theres no noise when driving at all, it just seems to be when its at very low rpm and starting to pick up, happans for say 2/3 secs max depending on how quick it picks up speed/rpm.
It 'sounds' like its coming from the bottom of the engine on the drivers side, clutch vibrates slightly too when the knocking noise is there, but only very slightly.

I have no clue at all what it could be, so ive turned to help off you guys i really am stumped.
Thanks for any help/advice!
Mike
Thanks given by:
Could be engine mount gone usually the top one makes it knock.
Bye Bye D-Turbo
Phase 1 GTi-6 now has a new owner
Rolling in the: Phase 3 HDI Wagon

The current estate project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/thread-22237.html
Thanks given by:
Yeh would be engine mount most likely, the exhaust hits the subframe sometimes, and the increased torque on the block makes it flex to its max when your just pulling away/low engine frequency.
[Image: 22f2b6b2-758b-4c1c-96fb-6fa9c6059b13_zpsf306b56b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Thanks guys!
I got my dad to sit in, while i pulled the engine to the front of the car and the knocking stopped.
I recently changed the cambelt etc which means i took the mount off, you think it may of just come loose/been put back slighty wrong or it has just given up and gone? As it only started doing it yestarday once the car was put back together and driven.
Thanks again!
Thanks given by:
You must have times it up wrong, I bet it valve smashing against pistons Sad

I joke, it must be the mount tbh, cant really be anything else if its all running right and you havent touched it...
Thanks given by:
Haha! Had me going slightly then! Yea it runs sweet as a nut, no smoke on startup or anything, just the knock. Will whip engine mount back off, see if its gone or just come loose.
Thanks dude!
Thanks given by:
Ideally chock it away from the bulkhead in the cradle
Thanks given by:
Wedge summit in? Lol
Thanks given by:
Wedge something in between the buffers on the top engine mount.
Bye Bye D-Turbo
Phase 1 GTi-6 now has a new owner
Rolling in the: Phase 3 HDI Wagon

The current estate project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/thread-22237.html
Thanks given by:
Id take the mount right out and check as XU's have a habit of ripping those mounts out

[Image: DSC_0190-Copy_zpsf093f84d.jpg]
Member of 99% warning or your nothing club!

Thanks given by:
Agree with puglove they can break away from chassis worth checking but also chock like advised, i got some 5mm steel bent to L shape and drilled hole to put bolt through stops my turbo tapping the bulkhead now Wink
[Image: J5hxCcC.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Cheers lads, will have a fiddle today!!
Thanks given by:
I used a bit of quarry convayor belt to chock it on the gti

[Image: DSC_0190-Copy_zpsf093f84d.jpg]
Member of 99% warning or your nothing club!

Thanks given by:
i had the very same issue when i first got my td, i was thinking i bought a banger and the bottom end was going or the mounts need replaceing, turned out to be the accelerater cable betwwen the intercooler and sill, i just moved it a little and all sorted, but it was driving me insane too
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Knocking noise studturbo 20 4,539 09-03-2012, 10:16 PM
Last Post: Ruan