KKK turbo adjustment

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
KKK turbo adjustment
not really had accurate data to go on...first gauge was really cheap and the needle flew to its 20psi max straight away...
got a better one (30psi) and it would go to 14psi bur never further...no matter what was adjusted...

fitted another gauge today and it reads 16psi...

but I had turned the turbo down as was worried what I was running...

so the question really is how many turns on the turbo equates to, say, 5psi?!
I know theres other variables but its it 1 or 5 turns for instance?!
The LDA is standard but fair way out and max fuel screw turned so it puffs bit of smoke just before turbo comes in then its pretty clean on full chat

helpful thoughts welcome
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
lol if only it was that easy.

just limit it by fueling
Peugeot 206 GTI HDI
Volvo V50 2.0d
Volvo XC90 D5

Thanks given by:
just buy a gauge that isn't shit! . . . . . . sweet jesus . .lol
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
I realise that but its more to know if I have an issue with the turbo itself...I wonder if the adjuster is broken/seized internally.

it moves free enough on the allen key...and I hold it as I tighten the nut so its not being wound in...but I just wonder if I am being a bit of a girl with the adjustment...

so my theory is to just wind it more...but is there a limit to how much? will it pop out or anything?!

(13-02-2013, 09:29 PM)Mattcheese31 Wrote: just buy a gauge that isn't shit! . . . . . . sweet jesus . .lol

I have now...hence the question and topic
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
On the k14 on my 205 I found that 1 turn equalled about 1.5 psi increase, although it may vary slightly from turbo to turbo or on different engines.
Thanks given by:
you know about holding the nut while you adjust with the allan key don't you? . on the turbo that is? . Smile
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
As per your reply to someones thread 'fine tuning' use the search features theres enough threads with the information your looking for Big Grin been covered many times Wink
[Image: J5hxCcC.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(13-02-2013, 09:49 PM)Mattcheese31 Wrote: you know about holding the nut while you adjust with the allan key don't you? . on the turbo that is? . Smile

yea yea got that down...

if 1 turn is about 1.5psi....even if that is a bit out then I am probably just being a girl.

(13-02-2013, 09:50 PM)CJ_Derv Wrote: As per your reply to someones thread 'fine tuning' use the search features theres enough threads with the information your looking for Big Grin been covered many times Wink

actually...this thread is a desperation thread after wearing out the search function...
theres lots of info in general and some specifics regarding the garretts but not much on the early kkks
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Meh, wouldn't worry too much.

Just wind in the wastage and use fuelling to control boost.

If its clean on boost you prob won't be running too silly boost.

K14 will take a lot of abuse tbh.
Thanks given by:
thanks ZX...

I dont mind if it dont last forever...I got the 2.1 soon to go in but I am hoping to do a little project with it after so dont want it to go bang!!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(13-02-2013, 09:31 PM)Piggy1987 Wrote: I realise that but its more to know if I have an issue with the turbo itself...I wonder if the adjuster is broken/seized internally.

it moves free enough on the allen key...and I hold it as I tighten the nut so its not being wound in...but I just wonder if I am being a bit of a girl with the adjustment...

so my theory is to just wind it more...but is there a limit to how much? will it pop out or anything?!

Confused
you are turning the allen key clockwise to do it up to increase the boost arnt you???
Thanks given by:
tighten the wastegate right in and then back it out a little bit, that's what i did and i'm running about 23psi for about 18 months now . .Smile
Thanks given by:
okeydoke...thanks matt

yeah been winding in...my thought was could it go too far
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
To be fair, there needs to be a definitive 'STAGE 1 - for Beginners' guide somewhere.
[Image: 22f2b6b2-758b-4c1c-96fb-6fa9c6059b13_zpsf306b56b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Imo you should stop f*cking about with the actuator and fit an mbc, the k14 wg does not work above 18psi it becomes creepy and laggy as the wg still opens at 15-16psi just not as much eg if you run 25psi it boosts to 15 then creeps the rest making it unresponsive and crap. Actually think this is what gives the turbo a bad name and sick of typing this out.
Thanks given by:
well just come in after fitting my stainless system and having a good tweak with lots of test runs...

22psi and pulls lovely now...little smokey at full throttle till full boost and it almost clears
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
She'll run forever at that, my last k14 ran 28psi for well over a year, and was still goin when we took the engine out
Thanks given by:
Only read a little of this thread but my mate has a kkk and no matter what we did we couldnt get the thing past 19psi on a lucus. Even went for broke with the turbo & pump wound right out and............. 19psi lol (30psi) gauge.

Think its just the kkk must be a shit turbo Nospeak

#mattcheese

[Image: DSC_0190-Copy_zpsf093f84d.jpg]
Member of 99% warning or your nothing club!

Thanks given by:
Mbc is the best way tbh, the standard spring in the wastegate is shite on the k14, and only cost a couple quid, and makes changing the boost very very handy, esp if you bring it into the glove box Big Grin
Thanks given by:
(14-02-2013, 03:52 PM)puglove Wrote: Only read a little of this thread but my mate has a kkk and no matter what we did we couldnt get the thing past 19psi on a lucus. Even went for broke with the turbo & pump wound right out and............. 19psi lol (30psi) gauge.

Think its just the kkk must be a shit turbo Nospeak

#mattcheese

(14-02-2013, 04:15 PM)rickye Wrote: Mbc is the best way tbh, the standard spring in the wastegate is shite on the k14, and only cost a couple quid, and makes changing the boost very very handy, esp if you bring it into the glove box Big Grin

lol @ puglove lol . . . . . . i've heard others have had problems with the wastegate but not myself, i was gonna MBC it but i've got a td04 to go on instead, K14 is a decent turbo if set up properly though my dyno results don't lie and i know i could have more out of it . . Smile
Thanks given by:
yeh, i know alot of people say bad things about k14's, but i personaly love them, its the one turbo ive never managed to blow

i never got a chance to get my first sigma onto the dyno, but it ate tdi 150 golfs for breakfast Big Grin
Thanks given by:
K14 after 31psi and lots of coal on boost (purposly done lol)

[Image: 20121127_124117.jpg]
[Image: J5hxCcC.jpg]
Thanks given by:
I have a K14 lying here Cj derv that looks the same lol.. I put the newer KKK in this time the K03, seems to be a very good turbo so far.. quick spool is hard to beat.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  kkk turbo wastegate adjustment LewisG306 5 1,374 22-06-2014, 05:52 PM
Last Post: LewisG306
  Turbo Adjustment GP123 9 2,442 02-12-2012, 08:06 AM
Last Post: Piggy