Have i brought a lemon

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Have i brought a lemon
Hi all im new to this forum. i brought a dturbo yesterday this is my third one now after the first one being torched n second one needing to much for the test. When viewing it yesterday first turn of the key kicked up straight away with only a tiny bit of smoke. I was happy with it till this morning when coming to start it would not start for a while and when it finally started there was a big puff of white smoke and was lumpy, although it did sort its self out after a few seconds and a rev. The glowplugs look fairly new. Anyone got any advice for me?

Also iv noticed a whinning noise coming from the drivers side under the bonnet, its weird because when I but the clutch down it disappears doesn't seem like the clutch bearing s though. Sounds like a belt or something I'm not to sure.
Thanks in advance mark
Thanks given by:
Hi Mark,
Welcome Smile

I've got a similar issue with my gti. It looks as though it could be a rusty pulley. I'll let you know how I get on!
Thanks given by:
(12-02-2013, 09:19 AM)Potta_91 Wrote: Hi all im new to this forum. i brought a dturbo yesterday this is my third one now after the first one being torched n second one needing to much for the test. When viewing it yesterday first turn of the key kicked up straight away with only a tiny bit of smoke. I was happy with it till this morning when coming to start it would not start for a while and when it finally started there was a big puff of white smoke and was lumpy, although it did sort its self out after a few seconds and a rev. The glowplugs look fairly new. Anyone got any advice for me?

Also iv noticed a whinning noise coming from the drivers side under the bonnet, its weird because when I but the clutch down it disappears doesn't seem like the clutch bearing s though. Sounds like a belt or something I'm not to sure.
Thanks in advance mark

Even tho the glow plugs look new they maybe naffed worth taking them out and haveing a look at them the smoke sounds to be all that fuel being injected and not started. Not sure on whinning noise maybe change belt or look to see one of the pullys got play in maybe??

Welcome to oc Smile

Thanks given by:
(12-02-2013, 09:32 AM)MissTap_GTI6 Wrote: Hi Mark,
Welcome Smile

I've got a similar issue with my gti. It looks as though it could be a rusty pulley. I'll let you know how I get on!

Thanks for the welcome I'll have a look at the pulleys later if I get chance.

Even tho the glow plugs look new they maybe naffed worth taking them out and haveing a look at them the smoke sounds to be all that fuel being injected and not started. Not sure on whinning noise maybe change belt or look to see one of the pullys got play in maybe??

Welcome to oc Smile
[/quote]

Thanks for the welcome I'll check the glow plugs out see if there lighting up later. And see if there's any play in the pulleys. Could the whinning noise be the bearing in the water pump?
Thanks given by:
Try some silicone spray on the aux belt. Mine currently makes a slight squezing noise in the colder weather and the silicone spray quitens it down for a while
[Image: mcetg0.png]

ZR VVC Homebrew mapping project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=14360
Thanks given by:
I dont think its the aux belt because its not squealing. Using spray on a belt don't sound to convincing to me. Thanks for info tho mate
Thanks given by:
Mine had the same problem as yours, white smoke on start up and lumpyness until a slight touch of the throttle, mine was like that for 2 years, never got any worse. I did a Bosch conversion and it doesn't do it anymore, I put it down to the fuel pump. I also had small metal filings in my fuel filter housing.
Thanks given by:
Ive had 3 dturbo engined cars all with lucas pumps and they all had the pump screwed and the turbo screwed.. they were all lumpy and put out white smoke first thing in the morning (seems to be a lucas thing)... but the sedan i have now has a bosch pump and it doesnt do it at all! Big Grin
Thanks given by:
I've never had a problem with the Lucas pumps I tuned my first one, last one dturbo I had had a Lucas n that started brilliant every time even when i was -6 and was never lumpy at 180000. What's easiest way to test glow plugs?
Thanks given by:
Sounds like air getting in to me, check the priming bulb, pump it till it goes hard, wait a bit, then pump it again and see if its soft, if it goes soft, replace that, that's the cheapest place to start. Otherwise air might be getting in in the filter housing
[Image: k6f9Fk]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club
Thanks given by:
be air or plugs...
as above for the air...

and plugs, remove the live feed from them and get a multimeter and test resistance between the live connector on the glow pliug and earth...take all four readings and tell us what ya got!!..saves removing them

PS may have been warmed up before you went to see the car...I always check the engine for being cold when I see a car...if its warm, I am very wary
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Okay cheers mate I'll check them soon and post the readings. Its most likely was warmed up before I got there. I didn't think to check because it looked like it had not moved with snow all over it. I knew I should have checked I just got key n stared it like a fool
Thanks given by:
not the end of the world...theres a recent thread on here of guys starting there XUDs...a lot worse than yours by the sound of it!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Cheers for all the advice, iv just changed the glow plugs 2of them was shot and not working. Seems to start better ill see in the morning. When I started it i noticed air coming through the pipe from the fuel filter housing. Will this be why its lumpy?
Thanks given by:
yep, the air getting in won't help matters at all

Thanks given by:
(12-02-2013, 03:27 PM)sammykins Wrote: yep, the air getting in won't help matters at all

I checked the prime bulb and that was fine
Thanks given by:
probably the fileter housing then, try taking the top off and cleaning up the sealing surfaces, then bolting back down, if that fails, others have bypassed the housing by using an inline filter, its pretty common

Thanks given by:
(12-02-2013, 03:36 PM)sammykins Wrote: probably the fileter housing then, try taking the top off and cleaning up the sealing surfaces, then bolting back down, if that fails, others have bypassed the housing by using an inline filter, its pretty common

This, unless you are running veg then sack off the fuel filter housing completely and join the pipe from the grenade straight to the pump via an inline filter.

Like this one which is the one I used on my old dt: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LARGE-INLINE-F...45d&_uhb=1
Supercharged XUD Project - Dead

HDi Cabby Project Click
Thanks given by:
I'd probably put money on glow plugs
But that's a reason why when I buy a car I always make sure its cold even before knocking the door
Just so you can see potential start up issues
[Image: IMG_20130925_181339_zps95df48fa.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Bought* sorry, it had to be said Wink
[Image: 22f2b6b2-758b-4c1c-96fb-6fa9c6059b13_zpsf306b56b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(12-02-2013, 04:33 PM)londondan86 Wrote:
(12-02-2013, 03:36 PM)sammykins Wrote: probably the fileter housing then, try taking the top off and cleaning up the sealing surfaces, then bolting back down, if that fails, others have bypassed the housing by using an inline filter, its pretty common

This, unless you are running veg then sack off the fuel filter housing completely and join the pipe from the grenade straight to the pump via an inline filter.

Like this one which is the one I used on my old dt: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LARGE-INLINE-F...45d&_uhb=1

or just fix it properly!! Tongue
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(12-02-2013, 05:30 PM)Piggy1987 Wrote:
(12-02-2013, 04:33 PM)londondan86 Wrote:

or just fix it properly!! Tongue

Or get fuel into the engine via the shortest route that has the least chance of something going wrong.....
Supercharged XUD Project - Dead

HDi Cabby Project Click
Thanks given by:
Yeah... Putting an inline filter is fixing it properly, bodging the filter housing to seal with silicone isn't...

Thanks given by:
sounds like...and looks like a bodge IMO...but my opinion dont count for nout

silicone is used at the factory with some components, so why should we not use it appropriately?

I actually found my air leak to be the corrosion/dirt between the plastic and ally and the O rings for the sensor and stat to be dry and cracked...

also if you run veg...you need the heater system
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Only if you get fuel rated silicone, otherwise its just gunna get dragged thru the fuel system and gums shit up.

Thanks given by:
^^^ defo, for sure
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
If you handnt work it out from the above this is a wanky lucus pump issue, dont know what or wh but its the pump, A family friend spent ££££££ years ago , re seated valves, recon head, new fuel lines you name it he tried it, nothing left to do other than the pump, he bought a recon lucus and hay presto! my old XUD done it for the 3 years i owned it and never coused any other problems

Welcome Smile

Its not quite the same issue Tongue

[Image: DSC_0190-Copy_zpsf093f84d.jpg]
Member of 99% warning or your nothing club!

Thanks given by:
(12-02-2013, 09:06 PM)puglove Wrote:
Welcome Smile

Why's that?
Thanks given by:
(12-02-2013, 09:06 PM)puglove Wrote: If you handnt work it out from the above this is a wanky lucus pump issue, dont know what or wh but its the pump, A family friend spent ££££££ years ago , re seated valves, recon head, new fuel lines you name it he tried it, nothing left to do other than the pump, he bought a recon lucus and hay presto! my old XUD done it for the 3 years i owned it and never coused any other problems

Welcome Smile

That has confirmed what I had said, I tried the glow plugs, worked well for a few days, then the problem returned.
Thanks given by:
yep she's lemon now I'll be nice and give you over the odds and I'll give you 50p and a branded pack of crisps not the cheap ones.

In all seriousness buy Bosch duraterm's(glow plugs)and test your battery.
Thanks given by: