Recon head broken

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Recon head broken
So I just had a recon'd head fitted as I had HG failure. Got it on, but I'm losing coolant.

Check all the rad pipes, they're fine. Took it to a garage who put it up on a ramp and said it's the head. The port for the coolant pipe on the back of the head has a hairline crack around it, and leaks substantial amounts of coolant under pressure.

I've paid £485 labour and parts (not including £255 for recon'd head) to have the HG replaced, now Wigan Engine Services LTD are suggesting I take the head off again and send it back to them to determine if it's faulty or not.

So that means I'm going to be without a car again for f. knows how long while I wait for them to do that, send a new head, plus I've got to pay another £485 labour to have the new head fitted.

WTF am I meant to do? Angry is an understatement...
Car history (starting Jan 2012):

106 1.1 Zest2 (Scrapped)
206 1.1 (Sold)
306 Dturbo (Totaled)
BMW 318i E46 (Sold)
306 Dturbo (Engine failure)
306 HDi Estate (Sold)
306 Dturbo in black (Sold)
205 1.9 GTI (Sold)
Golf GT TDI
Thanks given by:
Did the place that fitted it also recon the head?
GT2052s DTurbo
OEM+ HDI Estate
Project thread
Thanks given by:
(11-02-2013, 05:33 PM)Ricky Wrote: Did the place that fitted it also recon the head?

Nah, I bought it from http://www.wiganengines.com/.

Got a local place to fit it.

106 1.1 Zest2 (Scrapped)
206 1.1 (Sold)
306 Dturbo (Totaled)
BMW 318i E46 (Sold)
306 HDi Estate (Sold)
205 1.9 GTI (Sold)
Golf GT TDI
Thanks given by:
Hmm, I don't know where you would stand if they take it back and accept it was faulty, that should have shown up on a pressure test, surely?

I personally would have taken it to be tested at a local engine shop when you got the head to make sure, but it's too late for that.
GT2052s DTurbo
OEM+ HDI Estate
Project thread
Thanks given by:
They say they do crack and pressure tests, so it should have shown up there...

106 1.1 Zest2 (Scrapped)
206 1.1 (Sold)
306 Dturbo (Totaled)
BMW 318i E46 (Sold)
306 HDi Estate (Sold)
205 1.9 GTI (Sold)
Golf GT TDI
Thanks given by:
Hmmm hard one is that. If they accept its faulty. Fight like f*ck for compension for all the extra money its cost you.

If they dont. Your up the creak without a paddle mate.

But the thing to remember in the future is DT lumps £100 down the scrapper and take half a day to swap out. That way youv only spent £100 and if a year and a half down the line do the same again . Still only costing you £200 total and you 5x better off. Its half the reason i own an xud/306 all the major parts are so cheap and easy. Never really need to buy new/recon parts at £ra*e.99 . The cost of those sort of parts far out way the benefits

[Image: DSC_0190-Copy_zpsf093f84d.jpg]
Member of 99% warning or your nothing club!

Thanks given by:
Instead of paying the labour, why can't you do it yourself?
Thanks given by:
(11-02-2013, 06:12 PM)c.gerrard Wrote: Instead of paying the labour, why can't you do it yourself?

Wouldn't know how to, it's a big job and I don't have the tools or space to do it tbh...

106 1.1 Zest2 (Scrapped)
206 1.1 (Sold)
306 Dturbo (Totaled)
BMW 318i E46 (Sold)
306 HDi Estate (Sold)
205 1.9 GTI (Sold)
Golf GT TDI
Thanks given by:
Mate! What a shitter, I feel really bad now but honestly there were no signs of hg failure when you had it off me. Out of good will I can pick you up a head from the scrappy and get it skimmed and tested for you but it may mean you are without a car for even longer. Up to you though bud, I just feel terrible Sad
Supercharged XUD Project - Dead

HDi Cabby Project Click
Thanks given by:
Worth pointing out that this isnt HG related failure, from the sounds of it water is just leaking out of the water port on the back, i.e just a water leak? Which means A. its should be fairly easy to weld the crack up and B. That the HG is fine.

Also, a pressure test at a machine shop usually only tests the pressure of the valves/cylinder area, not the water and oil ways, so this wouldnt have shown up.

Knowing how much that water port/pipe sticks out at the back of the head I would assume its been dropped or caught which has cracked it. You'd be downright unlucky to have that crack under normal conditions.
Thanks given by:
If you can see the crack, you could cover it in liquid metal as a temporary fix purely to see if that solves your issue. If it does, chip the liquid metal off and take it back to be welded!
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
485 for hg change!?!?!? :-0
[Image: IMG_20130925_181339_zps95df48fa.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(11-02-2013, 06:23 PM)londondan86 Wrote: Mate! What a shitter, I feel really bad now but honestly there were no signs of hg failure when you had it off me. Out of good will I can pick you up a head from the scrappy and get it skimmed and tested for you but it may mean you are without a car for even longer. Up to you though bud, I just feel terrible Sad

No, don't go doing that... I think radweld and overheating in the snow might have killed the HG, it was a MLS gasket, there was radweld stuck in between the layers.

Tempted to do what Niall said, but I can only see half of the port, I'd have to take the inlet manifold off to get to it properly.

106 1.1 Zest2 (Scrapped)
206 1.1 (Sold)
306 Dturbo (Totaled)
BMW 318i E46 (Sold)
306 HDi Estate (Sold)
205 1.9 GTI (Sold)
Golf GT TDI
Thanks given by:
(11-02-2013, 06:34 PM)Niall Wrote: If you can see the crack, you could cover it in liquid metal as a temporary fix purely to see if that solves your issue. If it does, problem solved! Wink

Fixedthatforyou
[Image: k6f9Fk]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club
Thanks given by:
thats a mega expensive bill for HG change...

garage used to work at wouldnt charge that inc a skim and cleaning head, changing valve seals etc...

why did you get a recon head chap??

head builders should foot the bill imo
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(12-02-2013, 12:29 AM)Piggy1987 Wrote: thats a mega expensive bill for HG change...

garage used to work at wouldnt charge that inc a skim and cleaning head, changing valve seals etc...

why did you get a recon head chap??

head builders should foot the bill imo

http://www.wiganengines.com/

They haven't said they won't foot the bill to be fair, I did ask. But the fact I have to sort it out pisses me off.

106 1.1 Zest2 (Scrapped)
206 1.1 (Sold)
306 Dturbo (Totaled)
BMW 318i E46 (Sold)
306 HDi Estate (Sold)
205 1.9 GTI (Sold)
Golf GT TDI
Thanks given by:
I would push, get Trading Standards involved if needed, if they accept its a fault with the head, they have to sort it
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  recon she will pass? procta 13 1,835 14-05-2012, 03:05 PM
Last Post: 4WayDiablo