ADVICE NEEDED: EBay GTI6

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ADVICE NEEDED: EBay GTI6
Sorry post random capitalised threads!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1998-PEUGEOT-3...d=ViewItem

What do people think? Bit odd that he hasnt posted any pictures of the engine or any of the dents he talks about and I really wouldnt want to buy unseen. Doesnt show pictures of the lacquer peel either! Seems decent for the price.

Ideally Id be after a diablo P3 but decent P3s seem to be fetching good money so this seems like a good choice when ive got all the parts to convert it to P3.

I presume nobody is near enough to go and check it out in the next 4 hours?
Thanks given by:
It'll be fine, stop worrying about it and if you want it then just bid. If theres something which isnt as stated/worse than described when you go to pick it up then you arent obliged to buy it anyway.
Thanks given by:
it looks tidy enough and for that price it looks a bargain
Current stable
'09 Mercedes E320cdi wagon 
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
Looks alright to me :/
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
Interior looks tidy, and you can actually see one of the dents below the boot in the last photo. I'd be inclined to ask how long ago the cam belt was changed (you know the every 3 years or 30,000 mile rule) as it could be that it's needed soon, and really you'd want the last service to be not that long ago.

Ask him for more pics if you can, but at that price it's not bad (shame it's a ph2 Tongue) Don't forget T&T will be up next month too, so consider any issues you'd have to sort before then (air bag light)!
[Image: kim.png]
Thanks given by:
Yeh I just dont want to buy it and then turn back on the deal if its broken. it looks alright in the listing and i presume the lacquer peel is on the boot lid which id be replacing anyway. He doesnt mention a side for the rear window so must be the bootlid!

Its also lowered on what seems to be decent suspension. No idea what the benefits of the solid ally aux pulley is as ive never looked into it.
Id be storing it until after easter anyway so itd need a new MOT and tax after that anyway Smile

What would happen if i drove it 30 miles and the temperature went through the roof? If ive handed over the money then surely i cant get my money back with a private sale?

cam belt was changed 10K ago Kim so that should be a bonus! Ive looked at his previous purchases and he bought an A3 1.9TDI yesterday so that seems to hold up to the story of getting rid for the 60 mile commute.
Thanks given by:
Looks nice enough, but with no T&T make sure you take a GOOD look over it, even if you say to him, I'll give you an extra £200 if you put T&T on it... IMO it's a worthy thing to do, then you know he's making a little extra, but leaves you in the confidence nothing is that bad on it...
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
it could be, but you'd want to know how long ago that 10k was, if it was quite a while (say it's been a weekend car or something) then you'd probably want to change it straight away rather than risk it. Scott did that with his first GTI.

The only way to have any comeback would be to complete the sale and pay through Ebay, otherwise you're breaking their rules and they couldn't help you with a dispute. I'm not fully clued up on buying cars through Ebay, maybe someone else will be able to give you better advice Smile
[Image: kim.png]
Thanks given by:
Dunstable is a right sketchy place.

I'd ask for more photos...
Thanks given by:
it has got T&T so thats not a problem. By the time its summer and I get round to driving it though it wouldnt have T&T Smile

Plan is to use the estate as a daily in the winter and for towing etc and have this as a fun car for the summer etc. Just... id rather drive this all the time so id have to be very religious in saying when i would start and stop driving it in order to make it worth keeping two cars and to keep my wallet sane!

In the last picture there is an open garage so maybe its possibly been stored in there. Obviously no way of telling. Probably maxxing out at sub £600 for it at the moment as I still havent sold the 1.8! Once that has sold I could possibly be spending more.

(10-02-2013, 05:01 PM)cpikey316_ Wrote: Dunstable is a right sketchy place.

I'd ask for more photos...

Seems like a nice enough place from what ive googled about it. From the pictures the house seems to be more out of town in the countryside. Seller has 100% feedback but doesn't seem to have sold anything before.
Thanks given by:
My sole piece of advice - don't try and run two cars.

It just costs you a bloody fortune in the long run.

Paying out for TWO lots of MOT, Insurance, Tax, Parts ETC ETC. I was looking at doing it, have a daily then another car on the side, but I just can't afford it, it's ludicrous to even attempt to! I mean, I could AFFORD it, but I'd be putting almost ALL of my money into having TWO cars and running them both badly, I rekon it's cheaper to run a GTi6 on its own than run a Diesel daily and have a GTi6 as a "weekend" car... You also end up only ever driving the "weekend/summer" car like a penis because you want to get the most you can out of it...

That's my view on it anyway... I wanted to convert the GTi6 to Diesel and keep that as the "fun" car that I could piss about with and have like a 1.9d daily, but I literally can't afford to, hence I ended up putting the Diesel in the GTi6 and having that as an everything car. The only major disadvantage is that when shit hits the fan when you're doing something to your car, you can't just go "sod it", throw the tools in the garage and go inside in the knowledge you can still get to work on Monday, that's the MAIN advantage, but the money it costs is simply not worth it IMO.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
Also its worth saying that my insurance from flux is 830 TPFT. With admiral on a 6 its £760 FULLY COMP! So id probably cancel my insurance with flux and take out another with admiral. Id have to see if it went up with flux when swapping to a 6 but insurance doesnt seem to be too rapey any more! I'm 20 btw.
Thanks given by:
Put a '6 engine in the estate.... ninja
Thanks given by:
Yeh Ruan that is one of the problems and Ill just have to see for myself how expensive it is. At the worst ill have lost a few hundred and have experienced 6 ownership and gained some valuable experience.

Reason for getting a 6 is that I would be buying all the FMIC parts new, lowering, stage 2 remap and then a uprated clutch would be costing me probably the same or more than what it would cost to buy this 6 anyway. Also Jamma Mayhew wrote off his mint diablo 6 at christmas and ive still got the 1.8 so there is a wealth of P3 parts to make this mint! Everyone says about the colours being different but in my experience my P3 diablo doors and bumpers were a perfect colour match on decs P2 dturbo!

Also the estate is brilliant, it gets me everywhere but its just a bit boring and i miss the noise of a petrol. Also I really want to get a bit more stuck in with the track stuff which is why this will probably end up being stripped with buckets in it. Its already lowered which saves me some money. I would have put a 6 speed box in the 1.8 and have stripped and bucketed that but its a 5 door so i may as well start out with the right car instead of what ive got lying around!

(10-02-2013, 05:15 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Put a '6 engine in the estate.... ninja

i have thought about this tom! id need a 1.8 or 2.0 estate to begin with though and cba with the conversion. Plan is to track it so its pointless stripping it all and still having to put up with the extra weight and the extra doors!

Even if this car needs to be scrapped £80 for chyclones, £200 engine, £60 exhaust, £120 interior, selling all the other bits and weighing it in £200. Its probably about what i would pay for it anyway!
Thanks given by:
(10-02-2013, 05:18 PM)SRowell Wrote:

i have thought about this tom! id need a 1.8 or 2.0 estate to begin with though and cba with the conversion. Plan is to track it so its pointless stripping it all and still having to put up with the extra weight and the extra doors!

Weight over the rear axle is an advantage tbh. Tongue But I agree it wouldn't be worth it.

With the colours, you have to check the paint code as Ive said before, ph2s came in both M0KQ and M4KQ from what I've seen - and both are noticeably different tbh.

Honestly I agree with Ruan though, keeping the HDi seems a waste - the tax is the same, insurance is only like an extra £50 so it just comes down to fuel - is it really worth the cost of two cars just to save some fuel money?
Thanks given by:
Message from seller! Big Grin

"Hi Sam, here is a picture of the lacquer. The head unit has now been fixed?although I can't guarantee my work. It was a dry joint. The head unit is a pioneer deh-75bt which you can link to a blue tooth phone to play music and make calls. I also forgot to mention that the gearbox oil was also changed around 106k.?
Good luck bidding!"

Picture doesnt seem to be working so ive asked him to email it to me and ive asked for pics of the engine and dents too! Also asked if it has a NSR arch liner too Tongue And i asked if it had anything Ed Doe about it!

(10-02-2013, 05:23 PM)Toms306 Wrote:
(10-02-2013, 05:18 PM)SRowell Wrote:

Weight over the rear axle is an advantage tbh. Tongue But I agree it wouldn't be worth it.

With the colours, you have to check the paint code as Ive said before, ph2s came in both M0KQ and M4KQ from what I've seen - and both are noticeably different tbh.

Honestly I agree with Ruan though, keeping the HDi seems a waste - the tax is the same, insurance is only like an extra £50 so it just comes down to fuel - is it really worth the cost of two cars just to save some fuel money?

But then I still need to be able to tow the 17ft trailer for sailing and I dont particularly want to put a tow bar on it. not the end of the world though! Ill see how it goes anyway. Nothing is really set in stone! Just in the market to get my hands on a 6 whilst there is one cheap and i have a wealth of parts to make it exactly how i want it!

Lacquer peel is on the rear window! Which is good seeing as i would be putting my smooth boot on anyway!

[Image: image_zpse6b9bb88.jpg]

blahhh bids up to 500 now D:
Thanks given by:
Can't you get removable towbars for 306s?

And I bet it doesn't have a liner lol....might wanna ask for pics of the rear quarter too! Confused
Thanks given by:
(10-02-2013, 05:41 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Can't you get removable towbars for 306s?

And I bet it doesn't have a liner lol....might wanna ask for pics of the rear quarter too! Confused

I bet it doesnt have a liner too but it seems many many 306s dont have them. Asking is enough. if it has one itll be fine if it doesnt then you can almost gaurantee it needs welding!

I have spotted an opportunity! Listing ends half way through topgear which means everyone interested in cars will hopefully stop bidding Tongue
Thanks given by:
Quote:Hi Sam, hopefully the picture gets through to you this time. I tried taking a picture of any dents for the listing but they aren't significant enough to show. One of my attempts included. The car does make a bit of a taping noise but didn't cause any issues so didn't investigate further. Assumed guides or injectors. The car has liners on all four corners.

Regards, Rob

O_o. How much of a tapping noise is bad then D: Arch liners on all four corners which is good at least.

He even went out and took a picture of the biggest dent however said it was too small to show up properly on the photo. Cant say its niticeable myself!

[Image: cid_E6887C9E-4CCB-429D-9EE9-6EF5DC4B8179...095f16.jpg]

Checks out well on my text check.
[Image: check_zps67a36177.png]
[Image: check2_zps2684e97c.png]

yay or nay? And whats the worst case scenario for the tapping? Replacing valves? Dont want it to end up like some of the white Rallyes you see on here Tongue
Thanks given by:
Depends what type of tapping it is really, bent valves because of cambelt failure is the obvious one but there are a lot of other things which can make a tapping kinda noise. Video would be good but not likely to get one before it finishes.

I would only buy it with the provado that you will have to change the head/valves, and if it turns out to be something else minor then its a bonus.
Thanks given by:
Looks pretty tidy to me I'd pay up to 900 ish I should think
[Image: 20120704_212316.jpg]
Thanks given by:
head and valves sounds expensive Sad
Thanks given by:
Probably just needs a couple of valves, and then if you do the work yourself its just the cost of the valves, a HG kit and getting the head done by an engine shop.
Thanks given by:
If it's tapping due to a snapped cambelt, I'd steer clear unless you were paying in the region of £600 max. However, as Dan says it could be something else causing the noise. The injectors on these can be pretty ticky, so I guess it depends on how he defines the 'tap'.

It looks fairly tidy, but I wouldn't pay top dollar for it.
Thanks given by:
(10-02-2013, 07:22 PM)Dan! Wrote: Probably just needs a couple of valves, and then if you do the work yourself its just the cost of the valves, a HG kit and getting the head done by an engine shop.

any idea how much that would all roughly cost dan? Probably a Carl Chambers job!

http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php...pic=132723

apprently it could either be injectors or valves. I have asked the seller how long it has been going on for. If its been happening for ages either it cant be that bad... or it has damaged the guides D: Then again one of the injectors in the hdi ticks pretty badly so could be mistaken for injectors :/
Thanks given by:
All gti's tap. The injectors are very noisy however if its a valve tap, id just get a used head and put that on.

If its injector tap, it wont get louder so as you rev it, the noise of the engine will drown it out.
If it gets louder and faster when you rev the engine, its more than likely a valve. You can loose power from a tapper but a rebuild will sort it out. What you dont want to happen is the valve head to snap off because then its new engine time.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Ahhhhhh its not worth buying now that i know it taps. No point of buying blind. if it were closer and i could have viewed it may have been worth it. Ive been talking to Scott and Dans 1.8 with gti6 head looks awesome. At £1k ill be able to afford it or a 6 once ive sold the 1.8...

With this id have to retax and mot it as soon as i could drive it after easter so essentially im buying a car with no tax or mot :/

Still waiting for a reply about how to tapping sounds but dont think its worth it now. Cheers for all the help guys! Got lots to think of the next time i look at a 6 or buy anything off ebay! Tongue

edit: he got back to me and says the ticking gets louder and faster with more revs. Ill give that a miss then Tongue
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Lightbulb Advice Needed! EzRyder 6 1,283 21-11-2017, 10:47 AM
Last Post: EzRyder
Rainbow Advice needed on selling my 3rd car Welshy_Pete 9 1,566 21-09-2015, 06:56 PM
Last Post: RetroPug
  URGENT HELP ! MOT ADVICE NEEDED Orta 17 2,782 15-05-2015, 03:36 PM
Last Post: Iceman299