gti6 brake conversion on hdi

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
gti6 brake conversion on hdi
Need new brakes on my car so wondering about a gti6 conversion..

is it hard and do i just need new calipers etc?

Amy help/advice/prices appreciated please!
Thanks given by:
New calipers, brake lines would be worthwile, pads and discs.
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:
the calipers would fit in my carrier ok? can leave everything else 'hdi'?
Thanks given by:
you just need the callipers, get new discs and spend £40 on braided lines and all done Smile
Thanks given by:
sorry to jack the thread but are the rear brakes the same on the hdi estate as the gti? im going to be putting the gti fronts onto mine soon aswell.
[Image: sig002_zpscb892e18.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Yes the rear calipers are the same, though some gti had a slightly larger piston area

And yep (shameless plug) always a good time to fit braided lines!!
Thanks given by:
awesome, yeah ill be getting some lines as soon as money allows it. still deciding on a colour though, thats the hardest part.
Thanks given by:
get some 5.1 fluid in there too and a larger master...

awesome pedal feel
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Make sure your wheels are at least 15inch also!
Thanks given by:
(09-02-2013, 11:14 PM)Piggy1987 Wrote: get some 5.1 fluid in there too and a larger master...

awesome pedal feel

Ive read that with the gti master on there i can feel a bit bitey, im going to try mine with the current one and leave is as an upgrade if i want a more positive pedal feel.
Thanks given by:
(09-02-2013, 10:02 PM)W1ll Wrote: the calipers would fit in my carrier ok? can leave everything else 'hdi'?

You need Gti6 calipers and the carriers!
Thanks given by:
Lost count of the times I've pointed out that the master cylinder in a HDi is typically the same as a GTi6 anyway. If you swapped it you'd just be replacing like-for-like..
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
[Image: Sig500x130.png]
Thanks given by:
Wasnt aware of that.
Thanks given by:
And don't bother with 5.1 fluid

4.1 is more than enough and alot of the time has a higher boiling point
Thanks given by:
So calipers and the carriers are needed?? (aswell as new discs and pads obviously) hid carrier wont fit the gti calipers...
Thanks given by:
(10-02-2013, 10:33 AM)C.A.R. Wrote: Lost count of the times I've pointed out that the master cylinder in a HDi is typically the same as a GTi6 anyway. If you swapped it you'd just be replacing like-for-like..

This. I have been running 6 fronts with my standard master cylinder for about 3 years with no ill effects.
Night Blue VW Golf 7 GTD : Bianca 306 Rallye : Mini Cooper D (The Mrs')
[Image: wallye-gtd.JPG?raw=1]
HDi Owner for 200k/9 years
Thanks given by:
(10-02-2013, 01:18 PM)W1ll Wrote: So calipers and the carriers are needed?? (aswell as new discs and pads obviously) hid carrier wont fit the gti calipers...

Yup, just get the calipers, carriers, new pads and discs. Some would recommend upgrading to braided brake lines at the same time, but it's not necessary IMO. It's just easier to do all at the same time if it's something you were planning on doing anyway.

(12-02-2013, 08:59 PM)C2K Wrote:
(10-02-2013, 10:33 AM)C.A.R. Wrote: Lost count of the times I've pointed out that the master cylinder in a HDi is typically the same as a GTi6 anyway. If you swapped it you'd just be replacing like-for-like..

This. I have been running 6 fronts with my standard master cylinder for about 3 years with no ill effects.

Yea just found another old thread where I posted this info -

19.0mm - Fitted to very early 1.4, 1.6 and 1.9D cars (probably phase 1's) without ABS
20.6mm - Fitted to early 1.4, 1.6, 1.8, 2.0 and 1.9TD cars with or without ABS
22.2mm - Fitted to virtually all cars and engines it would seem after the phase 2 (16v 1.8's/2.0's) came about, most also had ABS - this is probably the one you have!
23.8mm - Fitted to all GTi6's and then from what seems to be the late phase 3's (2000-on) no-matter what size engine was fitted (this is what late HDi's / XSi's have installed) - this is the largest MC and the one which you want!

Maybe someone could sticky the Master Cylinder information somewhere...
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
[Image: Sig500x130.png]
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  HDI To GTI 6 Brake Conversion TommiePuglet 21 4,898 11-01-2018, 09:54 PM
Last Post: RetroPug
  Rear Brake Compensators - why do GTI6 have it but not any other 306s? MY95 5 1,488 08-10-2016, 06:22 PM
Last Post: Toms306
  308 Brake conversion The Coolest 22 5,165 09-07-2016, 10:56 AM
Last Post: welshpug