2.0hdi hard to start from cold

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2.0hdi hard to start from cold
Fine when warm....I searched but found nothing, I immagine it's maybe either glow plug, injectors or slow fuel delivery (why it do when cold though and not all the time)....the lexia didnt show any faults, anyone any ideas?
Thanks given by:
I'm having the same problem, ran the battery flat this morning Sad
Supercharged XUD Project - Dead

HDi Cabby Project Click
Thanks given by:
I had this problem I put new glow plugs in still no change.

I use to park my car facing front down on a little slop and it use to try and start and fail but once started it was fine. Since then I've started parking my car facing up hill and its not had a proplem since I know I've not fixed it but at least it starts first time now lol
Thanks given by:
Mine did this when the unions on the pipes to the injectors started to leak. I nipped them up and it sorted my issue.

Is the head wet with diesel near the injectors?
Thanks given by:
^this.....more common than you think
Thanks given by:
I do park with the car facing downhill but the tank was 1/4 full so dont think it is that. The engine is bone dry so that rules that out too! I doubt it is the glowies as research has told me they are barely used on the hdi.
I have read that the lp pump can get clogged meaning that the rail pressure can be low from a cold crank but could be way off there.

Keep the ideas coming, lol!

Starting to miss the simpleness of the xud.....

HDi Cabby Project Click
Thanks given by:
My cars always above half a tank lol still use to do it until I parked the other way.

Try it tonite park the other way around and let me know what happens lol

Also just a rethink when i use to park facing down hill my oil level gauge only just use to come off the red even though I had plenty of oil in the car do you think that could tell the ecu not to start or am just suggesting random things :/
Thanks given by:
Dont think oil level is used by the ECU, but I make sure mines on the max on the dipstick so it reads ok on the gauge anyway. I also park on a downhill slope. Mine makes a fuss starting from cold then pumps out smoke when it does start, wondered if I've got some leaky injectors or something that are dribbling overnight...... Its no different if I park uphill though lol.

But I also know ive got a bad earth as the battery is only a few months old but the dials jump and milage goes to 8888888s most times I start it. Do you guys get that as well?
Thanks given by:
(08-02-2013, 02:34 PM)DeeTurbo Wrote: Is the head wet with diesel near the injectors?

Dont know but I'll look next time I'm out....I'll also check these bolts too, cheers

(08-02-2013, 05:51 PM)Toms306 Wrote: But I also know ive got a bad earth as the battery is only a few months old but the dials jump and milage goes to 8888888s most times I start it. Do you guys get that as well?

I dont think mine starts/turns quick enough when cold, quick enough when warm though, could be the the battery starting to chuck because I quite often get that mess in the clocks too
Thanks given by:
(08-02-2013, 05:51 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Dont think oil level is used by the ECU, but I make sure mines on the max on the dipstick so it reads ok on the gauge anyway. I also park on a downhill slope. Mine makes a fuss starting from cold then pumps out smoke when it does start, wondered if I've got some leaky injectors or something that are dribbling overnight...... Its no different if I park uphill though lol.

But I also know ive got a bad earth as the battery is only a few months old but the dials jump and milage goes to 8888888s most times I start it. Do you guys get that as well?

I get both of those symptoms, smoke and mental clocks (I wish the clocks did it all the time when you put the key in, looks quite cool lol)

I'll go and turn the car around now and see if it makes any difference in the morning.

HDi Cabby Project Click
Thanks given by:
Check all earths as suggested, salty roads through winter will go straight for your electrics.

Have you changed anything on the engine recently? When was she last serviced?
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Well mine made no difference facing up hill, battery was almost dead right from the off this morning so I think I may just need a new one but I'll check all the electrical connections anyway as I've got to open the bonnet today to fit a strut brace.

Umm, as for service, not really too sure, lol. Might have to do that.

HDi Cabby Project Click
Thanks given by:
Ahh worth a try I guess lol.
You could always sell me the strut brace and spend the money on a service lol
Thanks given by:
(09-02-2013, 01:38 PM)Ben hdi306 Wrote: Ahh worth a try I guess lol.
You could always sell me the strut brace and spend the money on a service lol

lolol! The strut brace will be for sale soon as I've just won an omp one on ebay but it needs painting first.

HDi Cabby Project Click
Thanks given by:
(08-02-2013, 02:34 PM)DeeTurbo Wrote: Mine did this when the unions on the pipes to the injectors started to leak. I nipped them up and it sorted my issue.

Is the head wet with diesel near the injectors?

ive got this same problem and mine is yeah
[Image: attachment.php?aid=9919]
Thanks given by:
then check leak off pipes...these can draw air in overnight and leak out diesel...

and nip them injector pipes up...just a nip
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Mine starts fine but the lights flicker, the speedo lights flicker and sometimes the dials will spin right the way round. Must be an earthing problem but does anyone know where?
Thanks given by:
you know with this leaky injector pipes, when she finally starts she blows out a fair puft of smoke, that something to do with those leaky injectors?
[Image: attachment.php?aid=9919]
Thanks given by:
perhaps....but try fixing the leaking injectors and move to next one...they need sorting after all!

(24-02-2013, 11:04 AM)SRowell Wrote: Mine starts fine but the lights flicker, the speedo lights flicker and sometimes the dials will spin right the way round. Must be an earthing problem but does anyone know where?

earthing sounds supect
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(24-02-2013, 11:04 AM)SRowell Wrote: Mine starts fine but the lights flicker, the speedo lights flicker and sometimes the dials will spin right the way round. Must be an earthing problem but does anyone know where?

I would check the main earth that goes to the chassis leg beneath the ABS module. Mine went there but it didn't matter as I had made another earth from the battery to the top mount.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Exhaust for berlingo 2.0hdi 205diesel 4 1,632 08-10-2018, 08:45 PM
Last Post: riw@mail.com
  Peugeot Partner 2.0HDI 90 | Intercooler | Boostontroller | Gauge 4Ward-Performance 6 3,161 24-03-2017, 09:16 AM
Last Post: pro_steve
  Cold start 2.0hdi tommyboii 10 1,927 11-03-2016, 01:21 PM
Last Post: Poodle