gti6 cam belt snapped

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
gti6 cam belt snapped
hey i got a gti6 as a non runner the cam belt snapped just wanted to know what would be easy to do get the engine fixed or just get a new one. what do you people think i should do
Thanks given by:
(08-02-2013, 08:27 AM)Carlos vinyls Wrote: hey i got a gti6 as a non runner the cam belt snapped just wanted to know what would be easy to do get the engine fixed or just get a new one. what do you people think i should do

Got a mint engine if you decide to change it give me a shout
Best bet is to change the engine tbh The engine I have has just had a cambelt change and has done 118k with full service history
Or if you decide to sell let me know
Thanks given by:
Personally I'd get a new engine, bung a belt on it and fit that.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Cheaper / easier just to bung another lump in it

[Image: DSC_0190-Copy_zpsf093f84d.jpg]
Member of 99% warning or your nothing club!

Thanks given by:
New engine. Wish I did it to mine ad it would hve been £200 cheaper than repairing
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
Thanks given by:
(08-02-2013, 08:45 AM)GTI 6 Wrote:
(08-02-2013, 08:27 AM)Carlos vinyls Wrote: hey i got a gti6 as a non runner the cam belt snapped just wanted to know what would be easy to do get the engine fixed or just get a new one. what do you people think i should do

Got a mint engine if you decide to change it give me a shout
Best bet is to change the engine tbh The engine I have has just had a cambelt change and has done 118k with full service history
Or if you decide to sell let me know

how much would you be willing to sell your engine for mate. thanks for the help guys think i get a new engine for it
Thanks given by:
£300 for the complete engine and box
Thanks given by:
mine snapped a belt before it was in my ownership and got fixed rather than replaced, upside it rus lovely now (lots of valves replaced and all rebuilt) downside it did cost my mate - previous owner - quite a few quid
[Image: signiture.jpg]
Midnightclub Wrote:All the cool kids have ph 2 Nile 6's!
Thanks given by:
A proper head rebuild can cost considerably over £1,000, where swapping the engine will be around £250-300 (may get it cheaper if you shop around) and then a cambelt kit on top of that. Fit it while the engine is off the car and you're good to go.
Thanks given by:
There are benefits to both though. If you have the time and money to throw at it, a complete top and bottom end rebuild transforms a engine. It's like having a brand new one. When I finished rebuilding my1.8 lump, it was silly smooth. Just a shame everything else went tits up!
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Oh definitely, but notice you also say bottom end rebuild Wink If you're going down the rebuild route after snapping a cambelt then the bottom end should also be redone as there have been a number of cases now where the bottom end will go after a top end rebuild. It's just even more money to throw at it.
Thanks given by:
But if your confident enough to do the work your self (it's not too easy in all honesty) then it's actually fairly cheap!
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
when I bought my 2.0 XSI the cambelt had snapped, I rebuilt it from scratch..... got a head for £25.... the most expensive
parts were the pistons and cams but they're far from std!!! I just think its a good opportunity to do what you want the way
you want it doing....
Thanks given by:
(08-02-2013, 02:55 PM)Scott Wrote: If you're going down the rebuild route after snapping a cambelt then the bottom end should also be redone as there have been a number of cases now where the bottom end will go after a top end rebuild.
This^
Previous owner did the top of my late s16 engine (for ~900€), drove it for 15 000 km and the bottom started to let go (lubrication issues on harder cornering etc.)
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  GTi6 cam belt replacement St Albans / Watford Monkeyman 1 927 05-10-2013, 08:20 AM
Last Post: Niall