newbie project!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
newbie project!
Wink 
New to this site.. And hoping for some usefull advice!

Im building a 2.1td (XUD11) engine and on further reading i am unsure the 12valve cylinder head would beneifit my project. im aiming to run a hybrid 11mm bosch, gov mod, lda ground and maybe advance mod.. Maybe im wrong in wording of these! lol. i will also be running a td04 turbo.. i have a turbo setup to run td04 and fmic but unfortunatly its all made to fit the 1.9 (8valve manifolds) i have researched and found that an 8 valve head has better flow properties?? i could be wrong tho as im not 100% sure? Would there be much work in swapping the cylinder heads over to the 2.1td engine?? Any help would be great on this topic. Sorry for the essay!

Thanks
Steven
Thanks given by:
there is a thread on here somewhere by dum-dum about the 2.1 engine conversion. worth a read if your doing the swap yourself.

i dont see any problems with the 12v head, the xud11 is no high rev screamer like the xud9 can be, but the best thing about the 2.1 lump is that its a torque monster
Current stable
'09 Mercedes E320cdi wagon 
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
Hi chap...
Dumdum did this recently...if a little rushed.

I am rebuilding a 2.1 as we speak.

As said its no high revver like the 1.9 so stick with the 12v head...you may wish to work on the exhaust side of the head though as the valves are a bit diddy.

The td04 isnt the best idea with the 2.1 either as you will be unlikely to get the most benefit due to the 2.1 being less happy to go towards the rpms needed for the td04 to be worthwhile.
Also need to gearbox mount the td04 to make it fit...it wont fit behind the block like with the 1.9

you be better off with a gt series for a turbo...do some reading up on this site and you will see why very quickly
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Ok thanks lads! Had a read at this too i like the idea of the torque as im used to 1.9s but want a change and ti see what the most i can do with this engine
@piggy1987 by work do u mean porting and pollishing etc? I noticed ther all very small in comparison? Is reducing the cr worth the hassle on these engines
Thanks given by:
there is a lot of choice of thicknesses with the headgaskets on these so if you wanted to do it, that be the easy route.

Yeah I will be attacking the ports exhaust side pretty soon.
Leave intake alone though as you need the turbulent air and theres twice the valves on intake!!!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Would it be a rash job if i got one made out of steel at work (laser cut) or would it need milled to finish? Also is ther much work in this porting and pollishing have a dremel if it helps lol
Thanks given by:
they are not expensive mate...shop around, you can get genuine gaskets for £20!!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Yea but to reduce cr? Lol
Thanks given by:
(05-02-2013, 07:28 AM)Piggy1987 Wrote: Leave intake alone though as you need the turbulent air and theres twice the valves on intake!!!

Why's that?
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
(06-02-2013, 08:04 PM)Ruan Wrote:
(05-02-2013, 07:28 AM)Piggy1987 Wrote: Leave intake alone though as you need the turbulent air and theres twice the valves on intake!!!

Why's that?

Because, bruuv.
[Image: brokendown-1-1-1.jpg]

Dturbo GT2259s build thread;
http://306oc.co.uk/forum/thread-3692.html

Daily driver; 330d Msport (doesn't blow up!)
Thanks given by:
I thought that was kinda the whole point of having SWIRL chambers Wink
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
Uuuuuuuhm, but Swirl chambers cause swirl, not turbolence though *sigh*

Would be interesting to see the flow characteristics of a well worked on 2.1 head vs a standard 1.9..
[Image: brokendown-1-1-1.jpg]

Dturbo GT2259s build thread;
http://306oc.co.uk/forum/thread-3692.html

Daily driver; 330d Msport (doesn't blow up!)
Thanks given by: