Valve/lifter problems.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Valve/lifter problems.
Mate seeing DeeTurbos thread with similar symptoms to yours it turns out its his rail pressure sensor wiring at fault and as ive had to mess with the wiring on yours for the 1800bar sensor id say it would be worth a check.
Thanks given by:
Was it soldered in properly, or was it a twist 'em together and that'll do job?
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Dumdum wouldn't have even twisted them together trololol
[Image: signature_zps1a02ba79.jpg]
Thanks given by:
I have a funny feeling they were bullet connectors so it would be easy to swap them back over if you wanted to run a standard rail sensor.
Thanks given by:
Jonny, Have you acually plugged pp2000 into this to see if there are any faults etc? And that rail pressure is normal, just to be sure its nothing silly?
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
I haven't, all I'm able to do is to check for codes. What I'm going to do is swap the lifters and rockers from my spare head and go from there. If that doesn't work then I'll have to get PP, which is on my list of things to get anyway.

Obviously this after I check the wiring..
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
(09-02-2013, 10:52 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote: Mate seeing DeeTurbos thread with similar symptoms to yours it turns out its his rail pressure sensor wiring at fault and as ive had to mess with the wiring on yours for the 1800bar sensor id say it would be worth a check.

(10-02-2013, 09:21 AM)Dum-Dum Wrote: I have a funny feeling they were bullet connectors so it would be easy to swap them back over if you wanted to run a standard rail sensor.

I take it that the bullet connector were crimped on, if so did you have a good tug on them to see if wires were crimped nice and secure?

It might be worth doing a continuity check on the three cables from the plug on the sensor to the ecu.

--------FPS---------ECU
Pin------1-----------34
Pin------2-----------74
Pin------3-----------44 or pin 3 on the TPS
Thanks given by:
Swapping all the lifters / rockers is quite a palava, i wouldnt until ur sure thats the problem....
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by:
(10-02-2013, 10:30 AM)DeeTurbo Wrote: It might be worth doing a continuity check on the three cables from the plug on the sensor to the ecu.

--------FPS---------ECU
Pin------1-----------34
Pin------2-----------74
Pin------3-----------44 or pin 3 on the TPS

double check this as the car runs a three plug ECU Wink
Thanks given by:
pin outs for both FPS

Thanks given by:
Well it was either the rockers or the lifters.

Swapped them for a set from a scrapyard engine, and it starts, runs and does 3.5krpm. I'll put it all back together properly tomorrow evening and check it makes power, but here's hoping that's fixed it for the time being Big Grin

Thanks given by:
Heh, well dont just go out and rag it again, ull just kill em again, hyrdro sucks, hence why I was going to solidize mine!

That said mine was still working fine at 6200rpm @ around 200hp
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by:
Don't worry lol Lesson learned. Though I reckon it must have been Scott that killed it, he thought he was in a '6 when he had a little play Tongue

And stripping back another engine to components this weekend, coupled with the fact that I now have a spare block and head in my garage, has inspired me to build up a super strong HDi. And If I do, I'll definitely have solid lifters Big Grin

Thanks given by:
What a relief Big Grin
Thanks given by:
so did you find anything broken damaged?
Thanks given by:
Not really, all the lifters seemed to be the same, only thing was one of the rollers on a rocker felt rough, I'm guessing that could have been it. I'll check the lifters over when I get round to it.

Thanks given by:
(10-02-2013, 09:22 PM)Jonny81191 Wrote: Though I reckon it must have been Scott that killed it, he thought he was in a '6 when he had a little play
Cheeky git lol Never mind the 200 miles you did after I drove it Tongue
Thanks given by:
(10-02-2013, 09:42 PM)Scott Wrote:
(10-02-2013, 09:22 PM)Jonny81191 Wrote: Though I reckon it must have been Scott that killed it, he thought he was in a '6 when he had a little play
Cheeky git lol Never mind the 200 miles you did after I drove it Tongue

200 gentle miles without raping the limiter ninja

Just kidding, I'm not blaming you xx lol

Thanks given by:
It's always the gingers fault
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
Thanks given by:
F*ck. F*ckity F*ck.

Lasted about a minute, seemed fine. Went to gently accelerate out of the 30 limit, not boosting, maybe 1/3rd throttle. Cut out, same symptoms. Started it up no problem, turned round and drove very slowly back. Felt like it was running on 3 cylinders and as I reversed down the drive there was a strong smell of unburnt diesel.

Not best pleased. Ah well. Life's a bitch, right? Big Grin

Thanks given by:
Ah shit Sad That sucks dude
Thanks given by:
What was it you changed? The head?
Thanks given by:
It does, I'm beyond caring right now. I'll fix it though, and it WILL be epic. The bit that pisses me off the most is I really want to be working on the track car, as it's getting neglected ATM.

(11-02-2013, 10:52 PM)Toms306 Wrote: What was it you changed? The head?

Nah just the lifters and rockers.

Thanks given by:
Oh right, is w shame it hasn't fixed it, just be frustrating! So, what's next then?
Thanks given by:
Jonny, Did you check the fuel pressure sensor wiring when you were working on the lifters?
Thanks given by:
(11-02-2013, 10:55 PM)DeeTurbo Wrote: Jonny, Did you check the fuel pressure sensor wiring when you were working on the lifters?

Yeah, but first port of call is to solder them up solid now, I'll kick myself if that fixes it.

On a positive note, I've come up with a pretty awesome way of stiffening up engine mounts which works really well (or seemed to for the few seconds I got to drive it for)

I'll get some pictures tomorrow if I remember.

Thanks given by:
I found on my issue that it misfiring only at the beginning as I think the wire was catching on the block and earthing out. After I had a quick look about the engine bay while waiting for the RAC I think I might of moved the shorting wire away from the block and then after starting the car it was just in Limp mode. Mine was knackered near the second connector (yellow one).
Thanks given by:
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Time to change the name of your thread then...
Thanks given by:
Yeah, so it's still broken after I fixed DumDum's pikey as fook wiring lol

I'm starting to think that I've broken a valve spring and it's causing valve bounce/float at comparatively low (2200 or so) RPM's, I just cannot believe that it's a valve sticking, considering it's idling OK.

Either way, I'm just gonna rebuild and fit my spare head. Then I know it's all good, I'll drop it into the engine shop tomorrow evening to get it skimmed.

Here's another couple of videos.

Thanks given by:
That sounds like ALL of the valves jammed down when you start it...

There's literally NO compression there it sounds like to me...
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by: