Valve/lifter problems.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Valve/lifter problems.
Sorted my aux belt yesterday, was fine at idle and putting it out the garage onto the drive.

Got up this morning to go to work (it was quite cold, maybe -1) and it started up fine as normal. Left it idling for a couple of minutes while I cleared the windscreen.

As I pulled up the drive, I thought I heard a heavy knock, but it's hard to hear anything as there's a slight clearance issue regarding the strut brace and lower engine mount lol

Off down the road, taking it easy, there's schoolkids everywhere and the engine's cold. Car felt fine. Nice and quiet without that buggered aux tensioner.

Then as I went out of the village, I noticed what felt like a lack of power, similar to the issue I had when I had no air intake and had left the MAF plugged in. Ignored it thinking it was maybe just me.

Got maybe another 100 metres and the engine just died. No EML on though. Had a quick glance under the bonnet, couldn't see anything wrong, tried to start it, and it started up fine, but was a bit lumpy. So carried on to turn around so I could go back home and if I went over about 1500rpm it cut out.

Crawled back home, it cut out twice more on the way back, seemed to misfire like crazy then cut out and die if i tried to accelerate in any way or exceed about 1500rpm. But then started again on the key straight away.

Thoughts?

Oh and of course it's now snowing so I have a lovely warm and relaxing evening ahead of me.
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
Well if you boy will insist on strapping madsive blowers to old french cars it gonna happen Tongue

#constructivecomments

[Image: DSC_0190-Copy_zpsf093f84d.jpg]
Member of 99% warning or your nothing club!

Thanks given by:
Scrap it.

Oh sorry, wrong thread ninja
'99 Ph3 Diablo Gti(Victor) Dead
Astor 'X' 4 GTi6-6 - SOLD! Sad
'08 LY Renault Megane RS 230 F1 Team R26 - GONE
'56 BMW Z4 Coupe 3.0si Sport - SCHWIIIING!
Thanks given by:
Do you think its related to the aux belt? is the aux belt in good condition? in one of my hdi's a thin bit of the aux belt broke of the edge due tonit not tracking right and it hit the timing belt and it slipped a few teeth. Just something to check
[Image: 20gh7o0.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Id have a good look over it and make sure the flappy old belt hasnt knocked a sensor
Thanks given by:
Sounds fuel filter-ish to me
Thanks given by:
Yeah ill look at sensors first then maybe LP pump? Fuel filter was done recently, I doubt it will be blocked but still worth a look I guess.

Thanks given by:
Would air up and cut out pretty much instantly if the lp pump was dead. Brown relay maybe, but not sure... At least have a look in the fuel filter housing for filings, is the filter genuine?
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Theory:

Driving along fine, aux belt fails. Get attached to AA truck and due to car sitting at a steep angle while being bounced along, some silt gets all stirred up in the fuel tank, this therefore blocking the fuel filter when I start the car.

Worth a look either way. I'll do it tomorrow and report back.

Thanks given by:
Silt in the fuel tank? What are you running it on jonny, sand? Confused

There shouldn't be enough shit in there to cause issues like that. It does sound fuel related though. Can't you read the codes? Probably be some as the eml came on.
Thanks given by:
He said no EML, so might not be any codes.
Thanks given by:
I said there was no EML on, still isn't.

My reasoning for the above is that it's completely fine idling and low revs, just if you go over 2k idle it bogs down and dies unless you lift off super quick in which case it hunts back to idle. Hence me suggesting a fuel restriction.

Thanks given by:
Might be some silent codes that won't cause eml to come on.
Thanks given by:
(05-02-2013, 10:28 PM)Just Sean Wrote: Might be some silent codes that won't cause eml to come on.

True, I'll try the filter and see if it changes anything, if it doesn't, I've a mate in the RAC who can read the codes for me. Must really get PP.

Thanks given by:
Doh, coulda sworn I read the eml came on! Doh

Anyway, I agree it seems like fuel stavation, just don't think it'll be the way you're thinking. I'd say its more likely to be something like the fpr that is fine at low rpm but isn't allowing enough fuel higher up the range.
Thanks given by:
Seems a sound enough theory Jonny, although whatever is stuck is much more likely to be stuck over the gauze filter on the lp pump itself, found all kinds of crazy stuff stuck in those before.

Thing that's getting me is that every time i've seen fuelling problems stop an HDi it has involved the EML...
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Its a big gauze 'bag' though, its gonna take something big (or rather with a large area) to block that and I can't see that happening. You're welcome to prove me wrong though!

Don't suppose you noticed if there was any smoke when it ran crap before cutting out? Only thinking that theres a very slim chance it could've been lacking air, through a silicone that sucked in? I had this happen on the golf when I first plumbed in the SMIC, one of the bend looked fine but on boost sucked really thin and I thought the MAF was knackered. Thats definitely a long shot thoguh.
Thanks given by:
It definitely feels like a fuelling restriction the more I think about it, it's so happy at idle, then as soon as you try to give it a few revs it just sounds starved and cuts out.

And I'll also check the air intake, might just pop off the top I/C hose and try it, that'd rule out the whole inlet side of things.

Thanks given by:
Tbh mate, beyond whats already been suggested, youre getting to the point where you need to get it on diags.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Yeah ill try a filter tonight and if that fails I'll get pp and try that.

Thanks given by:
Changed the filter, no difference. TBH I wasn't expecting much but you never know. There were a few tiny little filings in the bottom of the filter housing, but literally a very small amount.

Took a video of the issue, you can see as soon as it's revved it's just not happy.

Then thought I'd take the top I/C pipe off, eliminate the air intake side of things. And here's the resulting noise. Watching this back, it sounds really bad Sad

Checked for fault codes and there's none.

Thanks given by:
Cant believe theres no fault codes in there.
Thanks given by:
That really doesn't sound good at all Undecided
Thanks given by:
Collapsing lifters / valves sticking

Do you have an oil pressure gauge?
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
Christ, that really does sound bad! Undecided

Sounds just like a g*lf. ninja
Thanks given by:
(06-02-2013, 07:36 PM)darrenjlobb Wrote: Collapsing lifters / valves sticking

Oh. That's not good. Not good at all. But makes a lot of sense.

And no I don't.

Thanks given by:
What bottom pulley do you have on there?

When my very first bottom pulley went it hurt the belt and also killed a couple of lifters but to the stage where the car wouldnt run so i suppose its a possibility.
Thanks given by:
Back to my original post...I'd say damaged rockers
[Image: 20gh7o0.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(06-02-2013, 07:51 PM)Jonny81191 Wrote:
(06-02-2013, 07:36 PM)darrenjlobb Wrote: Collapsing lifters / valves sticking

Oh. That's not good. Not good at all. But makes a lot of sense.

And no I don't.

Assume theres plenty of oil in it?

If you start it, rev it out so it does that, then soon as it dies dissconnect something so it wont start and crank it, see if it cranks even or if valves are stuck, need to be quick tho as there likely sticking briefly.

It sounds more like valves sticking than lifters failing to me, but could be related and getting stuck on the ridge. If you put your hand near the intake when its making that noise does it feel like the airflow changes / puffs back at all~?
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
Think its the symptoms of dumdum owning a car

on a serious note, this might be a stupid question but im clueless when it comes to dervs. Does the HP pump maintain a constant pressure regardless of revs or do they rise as the revs rise?
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by: