Engine doesn't turn off.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Engine doesn't turn off.
I asked this a while back but the fault has now developed further. My hand brake light, stop light and oil light are on all the time, even with key out of the ignition. The glow plug light doesn't come on, but turning the key in the ignition barrell a few times the engine will start (still with no glow plug light on) and now the engine doesn't switch off, so I have to stall it. Anyone have any ideas on what it could be.
I have a suspision the ignition barrel/switch is at fault.

I have also had the 3 plugs connecting the ignition barrell to the main wiring loom unplugged and the engine still runs.
Thanks given by:
I think it might be the engine-battery earth lead.
Stage 2 XUD Sedan
Thanks given by:
Also just remembered, a few days before all this kicked off I replaced the alternator.
Thanks given by:
check all your engine bay earths and relays for corrosion
Current stable
'09 Mercedes E320cdi wagon 
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
Thanks for the advise guys. Are all the engine relays in that box to the right of the battery?
Thanks given by:
theres a relay for the preheat and glowplugs near the battery, usually on the side of the battery tray, then some relys in that box yes
Current stable
'09 Mercedes E320cdi wagon 
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
Ah right cheers, I'll give them a clean tomorow, and check the earth lead. Thanks again everyone, I'll keep it updated.
Thanks given by:
IMO sounds like glow plug relay and stop solenoid problem, possibly because of a bad earth as strictly says, but iirc when glow light doesnt come on the glow plug relay is shot. and if its not turning off the solenoid isnt closing
[Image: J5hxCcC.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(04-02-2013, 08:05 PM)CJ_Derv Wrote: IMO sounds like glow plug relay and stop solenoid problem, possibly because of a bad earth as strictly says, but iirc when glow light doesnt come on the glow plug relay is shot. and if its not turning off the solenoid isnt closing

When the key is out of the ignition with the engine still running, I can still open the windows, use radio etc, surely if the stop soloniod was at fault, these things wouldn't work.
Thanks given by:
That's due to it backfeeding the ignition system....

Almost definitely a loom connector issue...
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
I've had a quick look on google and found this, guy has the same problem.
http://www.fixya.com/cars/t2003343-dash_...nition_key

Ah ha, just found this! Hopefully the answer to my problems Smile
http://mail.306oc.co.uk/forum/thread-3118.html
Thanks given by:
Ahh i see hope you get sorted Bud
[Image: J5hxCcC.jpg]
Thanks given by:
I'll be getting it on a ramp at work today or tomorow and have a dig around, I'll let you know how I get on.
Thanks given by:
Just had a quick look with the time I had, looked at the wiring looms at the NSF, and whilst doing so, the glow plug relay was ticking like there is no tomorow at some points, also noticed the glow plug light on when this was happeneing, sound familiar anyone? Smile
Thanks given by:
Right, since Tuesday evening my car has behaved itself. Today I got a glow plug relay from CJ_derv, fitted it and everything is still ok, which is good! Hopefully that's sorted it.
Thanks given by:
Glow plug relay fitted, left car for a day and had a flat battery when I went to start it, started car up using the booster, drove 30 mins home, went to start car again 5 mins later and flat as a fart, mega drain somewhere, any words of advise/obvious checks to make?
Thanks given by:
did you check the earths and alternator connections?
Don't worry about what I'm doing, I want you to worry about what you're doing
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How do I turn my key.. Jimmy306uk 17 5,237 16-01-2015, 05:33 PM
Last Post: nominous
  Engine wont turn over, tried 2 batteries..HALP! thefastest1 21 8,025 31-10-2013, 01:56 PM
Last Post: thefastest1
  Clicking noise and now wont turn over HDIkyle 5 1,686 17-08-2013, 10:01 AM
Last Post: Piggy