Weaving...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Weaving...
ok so my car has this great tendancy to weave all over the road, mostly when i come on/off the power, off, goes left, on, goes right. sometimes its just does it randomly aswell, pretty disconcerting.
after hunting around, ive figured it might have been the p bushes, even tho i replaced them less than 7k miles ago.
so i had them off today, along with track rod ends and drop links, but they all seem to be in decent nick... replacing them anyway just incase, but does anyone have any idea what else it might be?
its kinda like a squirming type feeling, almost like the suspension steps to the side before the rest of the car follows... :/
sorry for the essay, anyone able to shed any light?
[Image: k6f9Fk]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club
Thanks given by:
Rear beam mounts?
306oc Chat Wrote:15:30: Toms306 - :Genuinely thought it was gonna explode when I was playing with Sam
22:57: SRowell - :wtf why didnt you try harder to make me come!
[Image: connorsig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
hmm i wouldnt have thought so... deffo feels like its coming from the front, can feel the 'weight' of the steering change as it pulls around...
will have a poke around the back end tomorrow tho, just to make sure

Thanks given by:
Any knocking or thumping over bumps? I would have bet on track rod ends or P bushes, but it could be a balljoint?
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by:
yeah theres a knocking from the left, which, coincidentally is the side that has the wrong kind of camber and is chewing my tyres to shreds :/ ... thats another issue tho...
ball joints were done at the same time as new 'bones back in the summer, still feel pretty smooth, might replace them anyway just to rule them out....
strut top mounts do anything like this if they were shot?

Thanks given by:
It's possible, but unlikely. Could be tramlining from bad tracking if you've done a lot of suspension work?
Thanks given by:
hmm i thought that aswell, i did get it tracked after i worked on the car last summer, and obv ill get it done once im finished fiddling. would deffo explain front tyres only lasting 1k miles or so...
the weaving has been getting worse tho... can tracking get worse over time?

Thanks given by:
Could get worse over time if one of the TRE's is fecked? Also I would get that knocking from the left sorted as that is probably the issue!
[Image: sigjpg.jpg]
Serious.
Thanks given by:
ah yeah that makes sense!
cool, yeah thats getting sorted, basically anything i can replace is getting replaced.
its not likely to be anything with the subframe right? i presume thats got solid mounts rather than bushes?

Thanks given by:
That's not to say the subframe bolts couldn't work loose, I had that on my Audi 80. I had an annoying knocking and shaking through the steering wheel when I accelerated through a bend, replaced wishbones, TREs, top mounts, drop links, even checked the wheel bearings, and it turned out one of the subframe bolts had sheared :o
Thanks given by:
sheeeeeeet! hope that doesnt happen on mine! ill wrap a socket round them tomorrow methinks!

Thanks given by:
Mine was doing the same turned out to be a wheel bearing on the front, no noise or anything when we took it off the bearing fell apart
[Image: SDC10442-1.jpg]
Thanks given by:
mine did similar, put boot down it would pull one way, lift off would straighten up/pull opposite way.

Turned out to be balljoints. 16mm ones had been fitted instead of 18mm ones. causing hubs to oval out so when put correct balljoints in i still had same problem(although not as obvious)

had to get new hubs in the end.
Thanks given by:
sweeney1987 Wrote:mine did similar, put boot down it would pull one way, lift off would straighten up/pull opposite way.

Turned out to be balljoints. 16mm ones had been fitted instead of 18mm ones. causing hubs to oval out so when put correct balljoints in i still had same problem(although not as obvious)

had to get new hubs in the end.
Same happened to me with my 106 GTI except the hubs are part of the strut, so I had to get new struts Sad
Thanks given by:
im pretty sure i have the right ball joints, busted out the vernier and they are 16mm, as are the hubs... might pick up an 18 from gsf just to double check tho.
had it all apart today and yesterday, new TRE, new 'bones and bushes, new droplinks. ball joints didnt seem to have any play in them so left them be.
took it for a brief drive up the road, not any faster than 20, pulls to the right, to be expected, needs tracked now for sure, and all the same knocks and rattles are there as before. maybe even some new ones!
sometimes i hate my car...

Thanks given by:
Cheap and nasty wishbones fitted?

I wore some cheap motorfactor ones out in less than 3krpm...
Custom roll cages/shiny suspension bits/general fabrication work undertaken, PM me.
Top engine mount repair/reinforcement/chocking for cracked chassis and high powered cars, drive in, drive out, 2 hour turnaround.
Thanks given by:
gsf ones, normally pretty good quality stuff, unless others have had bad exp? thinking im gunna polybush the old ones at some point...

Thanks given by:
Tracking. Almost gauranteed. Tracking should always be done following replacement parts of suspension and steering components. I changed all mine just before xmas, TRE's 'bones, etc and my tracking was 21mm toe in on the N/S and 12mm toe in on the O/S!! Handling was all over the place on the way down there.
Supercharged XUD Project - Dead

HDi Cabby Project Click
Thanks given by:
yep trackings getting done second thing tomorrow.
took it on the a3 after work tonight, and it feels so much better! pulls to the left, but thatll be fine after tomorrow. no ducking or weaving about!
spose i should have changed one thing at a time for eliminations sake, but oh well!
thanks for all the thoughts guys

Thanks given by: