5.1 and 4 brake fluid

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
5.1 and 4 brake fluid
Is it ok to use 5.1 brake fluid? the cap dose say dot 4 only tho
Thanks given by:
IIRC only if you have the whole system bled through with 5.1, you cant use a mixture of them.

I usually use 5.1 when i bleed brakes on a 306.
Thanks given by:
You can use what you like, but just don't mix different dots together, 3 and 4 can mix, but anything else is a big no no
306oc Chat Wrote:15:30: Toms306 - :Genuinely thought it was gonna explode when I was playing with Sam
22:57: SRowell - :wtf why didnt you try harder to make me come!
[Image: connorsig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Why can't you mix them?

I was told that if it needs DOT 4, then anything DOT 4 and above would be fine....as it'll just have a higher boiling point.
Thanks given by:
Because they can react to each other... Should have been thought that at college
306oc Chat Wrote:15:30: Toms306 - :Genuinely thought it was gonna explode when I was playing with Sam
Thanks given by:
Connor Wrote:Because they can react to each other... Should have been thought that at college

Ah didn't know that, cheers. Smile What happens if they do react? Air bubbles I guess?

BTW, you'd be surprised what we aren't taught in college! Confusedhock:
Thanks given by:
Well its like water and oil, they don't mix... same thing for brake fluid, dot4 is a different liquid to dot5.1
Thanks given by:
Oh, fair enough. Smile
Thanks given by:
And I wouldn't be surprised at what they don't teach you, any time we had to go into the workshop at college, we always had to fix all the full time students f*ck ups...
Thanks given by:
Isnt it something to do with semi synthetic and fully synthetic or am i going nuts again?
Thanks given by:
Connor Wrote:And I wouldn't be surprised at what they don't teach you, any time we had to go into the workshop at college, we always had to fix all the full time students f*ck ups...

Lol, we spend a lot of the time fixing the school kids/level 1's muck ups (whats up with the swear filter!?).......they treat the cars there like shit tbh, wouldn't wanna let them loose near my car!!
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Best brake fluid and pads? JTaylor2005 19 4,633 19-08-2016, 08:09 PM
Last Post: Pgtips
  ATE v Pagid dot 4 brake fluid 306rhys 1 1,563 28-08-2015, 10:08 AM
Last Post: PartyJas
  Brake fluid circulation hennus 5 1,474 12-03-2015, 10:49 PM
Last Post: Niall