Disputing part of an MOT

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Disputing part of an MOT
So the 205 went for an MOT, failed on a few bits, easy fix's (un-supported brake lines, loose bolts etc) and a failure on a rear wheel bearing.

Fine, so i went and bought a new bearing - and also got a spare hub from the scrapyard just "in case".

Couldn't for the life of me remember which side was bust, so jacked the car up, theres no play, no noise no issues whatsoever from either rear wheels. There is the most faint of clicks? on one side as it spins. could be anything, but both of us fairly sure it's not a bearing - probably a rust/dirt chunk. The rear beam itself is only on 50k and i understand that the rubber on the beam can perish, but the bearings?

Myself and max are pretty confused, we phoned the garage the tester 'wasnt in' but they will check it again.

Where do i stand on this? I have parts to swap but not going to if i dont think it's necessary?

The other parts are sorted.
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:
Disputing it just isn't worth it. Its such a PITA and you will have to have a full retest by another centre i believe which could drag up more fault. Personally, id just bung the spare hub on and take it back!
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
If it was me id put some dirty hand prints on both sides and take it back, dose the fail cert not say what side it is?
Thanks given by:
(30-01-2013, 07:18 PM)Daniel306 Wrote: If it was me id put some dirty hand prints on both sides and take it back, dose the fail cert not say what side it is?

Nearside rear wheel bearing rough when rotated [2.6.1]

I wouldn't say it's rough at all.... as for changing the hub - yeh, it's a job i can do but risk of disloding the drums (pads) i just cant be doing with that (the spare from the scrappy was fine to ruin, wasn't mine...)
Thanks given by:
If its just rough I'd take the wheel off, take the dust cap off the middle of the drum and pump some grease in it.
[Image: image_zps45f2003b.jpg]

Team Doesn't own a 306
Thanks given by:
Wouldn't dispute it, certainly not with VOSA. Take it to another garage and get them to do it if you like (just explain you weren't happy with the previous garage). If you complain to VOSA they will take the car and go over it with a fine tooth comb, they will pick every single niggle and effectively scrap your car for you. I've got a mate who works for VOSA doing stuff like this Smile
[Image: 306Green5DrSig.png]
Thanks given by:
But paying another £50 to get it tested - isn't exactly ideal.
Thanks given by:
I've seen worse bearings than that get through MOT's. There's no play AT ALL. The noise is no worse than a normal drum that hasn't been used for a day or 2.
But don't dispute it like other say they will pick at it with a fine tooth comb and lets face it, it's a 22 year old car, it's not going to end well, I can name a few things they didn't pick up on too! Best thing to do it just be as nice as possible, in which case they may even give some slack.
Worse comes to worse just bite the bullet and pay them a 10er or so to fit the drum. Keeps them happy.
Stage 2 XUD Sedan
Thanks given by:
Take it back and ask them to show you the noisy/rough wheel bearing. Just say you have had a look and can't work it out
Thanks given by:
I had the same issue with mine when i motd it in October. When i went to change the bearing having already bought a replacement and a spare hub i found it was the arch liner rubbing on the tyre and nothing to do with the bearing, just went back to the test centre and asked them to show me which bearing it was (acting dumb). When he turned the wheel and said "that noise" i pushed the arch liner away from the tyre and it went silent. He soon admitted that he was wrong and passed it.
Ask them to show you the movement and if it warrants changing then get it done. If they wont demonstrate to you id suspect they were trying to pick some work up from you and its back fired.
Thanks given by:
Nah grease in the hub, greasy hand prints on the side of the car and make it look like its been done.
Thanks given by:
I'll say i greased it up -still fails - i'll give them a tenner to swap it..
Thanks given by:
I argued a "worn out steering column" on my 1.6

Was told that my brakes were out of balance too. I suggested if the tester wasn't 6 feet wide and had parked straight on the rollers, It may have passed.

Went through no problems the second time round, I just took the steering wheel off and packed grease all round the rubber bush at the top. And the brakes turned out to be perfectly balanced lol
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
my mot tester shows me the faults with the car, so i can sort what evers needed.
Thanks given by:
Place we go to are brilliant! Really cannot fault them. They're called "we only mot" says it all on the name.
All they do is mots, so they want your car to pass becuase if it doesn't it has to come back for its free retest which then they're loosing time which means money!
Don't get me wrong they're in no way dodgy they're really good and genuine, they only fail things if they really have to.
Me and my dad will go out with them watch everything they're doing talk to them and they'll show us exactly what needs doing and best way to sort it.
If your car is younger than 10 years you get unlimited retest for free!
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
[Image: 6b0c7309-5184-463c-9f73-2a7b96601418_zpsfdf041fe.jpg]
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Part Rent Part Buy / Shared Ownership. 306carter 14 3,441 05-05-2014, 07:21 PM
Last Post: Dum-Dum