New whirring noise, any ideas

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New whirring noise, any ideas
Hey peeps

Just wondering if anyone can help, ive got like a whirring/grind noise at idle now and increases with slight revs not too noticable at high revs, now turbos fine, jusst wondering if it could be the pump or tensioner, or main pulled,powersteering or altenator, just wondering if anyone had similar problem and can help

Think this may be related to previous screetch at mid revs under full load, which havebt isolated yet

Any help would be great

Thanks
[Image: J5hxCcC.jpg]
Thanks given by:
get the longest screwdriver that you can;

when the engines running and you can hear the noise, carefully touch the tensioner with the screwdriver blade----then put your ear to the screwdriver handle. if the bearings in it are fecked, you will hear them through the handle as your ears touching it.

if its not that, then put blade against front/rear of alternator and check that too.
Thanks given by:
I had a horrible grinding noise on my last 306 that turned out to be the alternator
Current stable
'09 Mercedes E320cdi wagon 
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
Yeah i havent a screwy long enough to check powersteering for noise but the altenator certainoy making a rscket through the screwy especially compared to the pump, obviously not a good comparison but i would have though altenator would be a smooth noise

But i am wondering if it could be power steering as when i got the car in june the PS hose was damaged and pump had been run dry for a good 4month while i had it not to mention how long previous guy had ran it dry so it could be the bearrings as its only had steering fluid in for the last month since fixing it
Thanks given by:
broom handle works too, and might be long enough Wink
Thanks given by:
could be alternator belt tensioner
Venetian XUD ph2 heaven
Ph3 perv cab heaven
Black ph1 XUD died

Moonstone hdi stage 2
Thanks given by:
Cheers guys will further investigate tomorrow Smile
Thanks given by:
Sounds like when the alternator belt tensioner went on mine. I took the belt off then started it so i could rule out anything on the timing belt. Took about 5 minutes to change the tensioner when i found it was that.
Thanks given by:
Ahh good shout RJDubya will try whip aux belg off today Smile
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Speedo whirring ginge191 4 998 05-12-2012, 08:00 PM
Last Post: samass