Faulty gauge, or wrong wiring?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Faulty gauge, or wrong wiring?
Question for people who know anything about wiring, as I know nothing.

This thread is pretty useless without pictures, but never mind. I have an oil temperature gauge, has three connections on it. Little diagram - | _ | So I have a positive on one of the |'s and an earth on the other |. Then I have a feed to the sensor on the _ connection. The sensor has two wires, one of which I have earthed.

Basically the problem is, when the car is running, it will gradually climb up the max, ie. over 150 degrees. It doesn't shoot up like if the connections are wrong, it takes a while. I have a video but it's a bit long and boring! So i'm stumped as to what's wrong? I had no instructions with the gauge, and the sensor is an R-spec one.

Broken gauge or wired in wrong, do you think? I very much doubt my oil is at 150+, that's surely engine blow up temp, not the sort of temp I would expect driving to work at 55/60 anyway!

EDIT. the diagram is supposed to be | _ |
GT2052s DTurbo
OEM+ HDI Estate
Project thread
Thanks given by:
150c sounds around the right ball park figure for normal running
temp will vairy due to type of oil synth/mineral/grade/turbo'd/ ragging it or ticking over
Thanks given by:
Well it sits over 150, right on the end of the gauge. And that's plodding about normally. I would have expected maybe 100-120..
GT2052s DTurbo
OEM+ HDI Estate
Project thread
Thanks given by:
150 doesn't sound normal at all. Gti doesn't even get that hot unless you're ragging it on track with no cooler for a good few laps.
Night Blue VW Golf 7 GTD : Bianca 306 Rallye : Mini Cooper D (The Mrs')
[Image: wallye-gtd.JPG?raw=1]
HDi Owner for 200k/9 years
Thanks given by:
It must be the gauge then.. It's been driving ok for last month or so, I think!
GT2052s DTurbo
OEM+ HDI Estate
Project thread
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Faulty dial panel Clark 3 960 16-07-2014, 07:53 PM
Last Post: cully