How do YOU swap engines??

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do YOU swap engines??
Question 
This isn't a thread looking for advice just wondering what way everyone else goes about it?

I always take them out the bottom subframe and all. Although we do have a few forklifts in the yard so it's a lot handier with them. One forklift holding the car up then the other supporting the engine as I lift the car off it.

Going in the top just seems a bit tight and awkward to me even though I've never done it. A Sierra is the only other thing I've had an engine out of and I took it out the bottom as well.

Just interesting to see.
Thanks given by:
Totally depends what car, pugs just normally take front off n pull out top/front
Thanks given by:
Engine hoist, drop through bottom and pull under car then reverse sequence
MG ZR TD+ - gone and easily forgotten
Fabia vRS PD130 - New daily
Astra H VXR - new toy!
Thanks given by:
depending on equipment availible, if there a crane/forklift avaible iol take the front off the carefully out the top, or if theres just me and a mate its out the bottom
Current stable
'09 Mercedes E320cdi wagon 
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
Front end and bonnet off for better access then engine crane.
Thanks given by:
I do mine like this....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=te48ucoEvFI

f*ck you embed thingy
[Image: IMG_20130925_181339_zps95df48fa.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Just engien crane in the top / front...4 bolts and front ends off, then engine just slides in Smile
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
If I'm scrapping the car, drop the engine onto a pallet, cut crossmember off and drag it out the front. if its being changed, drop it on the floor and lift the car over it. That is unless I have access to a crane. We did when we took eds engine out of his bent car and that was easy with a crane
(Well doing the work was easy, putting up with eds consistent whining about damaging his already tapping engine wasn't!)
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
I used nialls method with golf (except easier as there's no crossmember on them) and it worked really well as a way of doing it alone without a crane!

Given the choice I'd prefer crane out the top though...
Thanks given by:
Using a van and a tow rope
[Image: car-1.jpg]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club

2000 Moonstone 1.8 Meridian - Sold
2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
We did mine like this.

http://youtu.be/qdHp1lFrnEk
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
[Image: 6b0c7309-5184-463c-9f73-2a7b96601418_zpsfdf041fe.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(30-01-2013, 10:36 AM)Grant Wrote: Using a van and a tow rope

Oh yeah forgot we did that on the 1.8 lol
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
as said, depends on what car it is, my rover we dropped the subframe down.
Thanks given by:
On a 306 drop it out the bottom on the subfram.

[Image: DSC_0190-Copy_zpsf093f84d.jpg]
Member of 99% warning or your nothing club!

Thanks given by:
always took them out the top unless we are scraping the shell, then its subframe out and out the bottom

working mostly on my own, just over 2 hours from in the shed to engine on floor and gearbox off
Thanks given by:
Always out the top, using either a front loader or a hired engine crane. Plenty of room!
Gov modded 11mm Bosch + Standard turbo = 137.2bhp . . . . TD04 now in...time to get playing!
Thanks given by:
For 306's I've always just tied the bonnet to the aerial and lifted out the top. Never had to remove anything bodywork wise, there's loads of room if you're careful! With an engine hoist might I add.
Thanks given by:
Engine crane when I did my 205. I was too stupid at the time to realise the gear box mount bracket un bolted and managed it with that still in place....just!
Stage 2 XUD Sedan
Thanks given by:
(31-01-2013, 08:47 PM)strictly_derv Wrote: Engine crane when I did my 205. I was too stupid at the time to realise the gear box mount bracket un bolted and managed it with that still in place....just!

when i changed the metros engine, i practically stripped the full engine bay down aswell as the front. so that we could just drop the frame down with the running gear. then it was the case of roling the new frame in.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What diesel engines do you rate? tuttyboy84 57 9,438 12-04-2016, 03:06 AM
Last Post: Dave
  Painting Engines Eeyore 14 2,623 14-05-2015, 06:12 PM
Last Post: Seb_Ryan
  What engines would you say are "bad" lolsteve 33 11,554 27-05-2013, 09:36 PM
Last Post: THE_Liam