Boost getting a bit weak.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Boost getting a bit weak.
Ok, so before the ace meet this month, I'd been noticing the dt has been getting a bit - for want of a better word - asthmatic. Doesn't seem to want to boost as hard as it has been, and ive not changed the tune at all in over a month. Now, when I got home from ace, I found it was running really well...peaking at 19-20psi,and spooling up nice and quick. Figured the long run helped blow the cobwebs out, as such. Wink But then last night, I'm going up the same hill I always enjoy ragging up, and the old girl barely managed 14psi at 4.5k! I don't think there would have been a lack of nice cold air, so my other thought is maybe the wastegate could be starting to fail?

I'm a self-confessed n00b when it comes to diesel turbos, but im here to learn, same as everyone else, so anyone like to offer some much appreciated advice?
[Image: P1060836_zpsz3xgxt7q.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Possibly wastegate, what filter if any do you have on it pal
[Image: J5hxCcC.jpg]
Thanks given by:
defiltered at the moment, keep meaning to put it back together, but weathers been crap recently (as we're all aware! lol), and it does sound nice defiltered. Wink
Thanks given by:
if your wise mate youl put some sort of filter on it i was running defilterd as like you loved the sound of the spool up.

drove through a puddle and this happened
[Image: 14791_4427378402297_799663289_n.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Ruled out any leaks?
My turbo-ic pipe rubbed against the MC and gave a slowly worsening leak

(28-01-2013, 07:10 PM)jpderv Wrote: if your wise mate youl put some sort of filter on it i was running defilterd as like you loved the sound of the spool up.

drove through a puddle and this happened
[Image: 14791_4427378402297_799663289_n.jpg]

Don't drive through puddles defiltered :-)
[Image: IMG_20130925_181339_zps95df48fa.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(28-01-2013, 07:10 PM)4WayDiablo Wrote: Don't drive through puddles defiltered :-)

This. I have had to restrict myself to automotive puddle jumping ONLY in the work van, as im not up for sucking water into my turbo. Wink

(28-01-2013, 07:10 PM)4WayDiablo Wrote: Ruled out any leaks?
My turbo-ic pipe rubbed against the MC and gave a slowly worsening leak

Thats the other reason i wanna put the intake back together phil, but my theory at the moment is why would a boost leak get better over a long run, then gradually worse again...
Thanks given by:
(28-01-2013, 06:58 PM)WiNgNuTz Wrote: defiltered at the moment, keep meaning to put it back together, but weathers been crap recently (as we're all aware! lol), and it does sound nice defiltered. Wink

doh! the very time you need a filter most is the same time that its not nice to go out and fit it!
Thanks given by:
Yeah exactly...sods law really! lol
Thanks given by:
lol wqould have avoided it if i could but dark road at night car was coming towards me seen naf all until it was to late be the last time i drive without one lol.

good to see you got yours sorted though.
Thanks given by:
Bit of a thread revival, but figured i might as well post in here instead of a new thread. Smile

Still having this problem with lousy boost, getting to the stage now where im barely managing 13-14psi at full chat. There are no boost leaks that i can find, and the smoke billowing from the car is getting a bit much now. Baring in mind the pump was tuned to produce 18-19psi at best, and its gradually dropped off since then, havent touched the pump, so its still putting 18-19psi of fuel in, but the turbo is only generating 14psi at absolute most. Dodgy

Im convinced the wastegate has had it, but i am pretty much unemployed at the moment, after my last boss decided he couldnt afford to keep me on, i cant afford to replace the turbo or anything like that, so im looking for any advice on possible pikey lashups to try and alleviate the problem a bit.

Thanks in advance guys! Big Grin
Thanks given by:
Well shit, thanks for all the advice people. Nospeak
Thanks given by:
If your on a t2 get underneath and yank on the actuator and see how hard/easy it is to move?
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by: