Wiring in gauges?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wiring in gauges?
Forgive me, I'm not very good with electrics!

I'm not sure which wires I should use for gauges in the centre console. I have a ph1 with no keypad, ashtray lights or cigarette lighter. Everything's there wiring wise but I'd like to know which wires are what.

Here's a list of my available wiring:

A plug with a red wire and a green/yellow wire
A plug with a white wire
The plug for the keypad
The cigarette lighter plug/element

I don't use the lighter or keypad so I'm happy to cut them if any useful wires live inside!

Can anyone help me out?
Thanks given by:
What gauges are you fitting Luke?
Thanks given by:
White wire is illumination for the ciggy lighter, white plug with red and green/yellow is for the ciggy lighter, green n yellow is earth, red is ignition live (depending on where your shunt fuse is lower 2 are for ignition live, top 2 are for permanent live)
Click to see how smokey is doing Tongue ----> Project Smokey
Thanks given by:
I use feed from stereo as on when ignition on
Thanks given by:
(28-01-2013, 04:36 PM)gareth7 Wrote: What gauges are you fitting Luke?

Boost first, then oil pressure and temp once I get them sorted under the bonnet.

(28-01-2013, 05:06 PM)Parksy87 Wrote: White wire is illumination for the ciggy lighter, white plug with red and green/yellow is for the ciggy lighter, green n yellow is earth, red is ignition live (depending on where your shunt fuse is lower 2 are for ignition live, top 2 are for permanent live)

Yeah, I've done temp wiring on the ignition live and earth for fag lighter but no light.

(28-01-2013, 05:19 PM)Tyronnster Wrote: I use feed from stereo as on when ignition on

Might have to do this, would've rather used what's already under the dash, though.
Thanks given by:
Are you asking what wire from the car have voltage in them? Or which ones to connect the gauges too? Im confused as shit, sorry im just dumb haha... To save waiting for you to reply then me again, Do you have a multimeter? < that might not make sense if i've misunderstood what your asking haha
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
I do have a multi meter, but not to hand... It's pissing down and I'm proper bored!

I was asking which wires to connect the gauge to, but I'll just find out the hard way...
Thanks given by:
I might be able to give you a hand mate, pretty handy when it comes to electronics Smile

It is my job afterall Smile
Current stable
'09 Mercedes E320cdi wagon 
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
I took mine off the fag lighter and flipped the fuse so it was ignition only. Doing off the headlights would be better as you dont need them lit all the time, would be a bit cooler to come on with the rest of the dash.
[Image: sig002_zpscb892e18.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Never thought to ask you Zakk! I'll fb you lol

Yeah would be better if it was same illumination as the rest of the dash...
Thanks given by:
Illumination feed from stereo wiring luke Wink
Click to see how smokey is doing Tongue ----> Project Smokey
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Suggestions For Wiring Up All Gauges To One Switch. silverzx 9 3,329 18-04-2013, 12:00 PM
Last Post: silverzx