Peugeot 306. Project: improving safety

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Peugeot 306. Project: improving safety
From knowledge of the phase 3 safety features, the thought has occured to me that I might be able to install them in a phase 1 if I get a controller from a phase 3 and get the passenger and side airbags as well. I am not actually planning to do this, far too much hassle for little gain but what would be involved in implementing such?

And perhaps while you are there have some more side impact beams welded to between the door skins as the standard side impact beam is only; well it is just that, a beam, not beams as in plural. Also what could be done to improve front protection? Perhaps some extra bracing to the chassis legs for good measure?

Normally these things need a lot of simulations and tests running to see how certain structures will be affected by the extra rigidity etc and how it would effect the crumple zones, but only a little bit more metal can't hurt, or can it?

Just thinking in terms of plans for the future, might not hurt to update the phase 1's safety features a little bit if it can be implemented for reasonable value. Anyone else got any bright ideas? :roll:
Thanks given by:
I know a great safety feature.... Slow down.
[Image: KrisB-new-Logo11.gif]
Thanks given by:
Yeah dont bother sounds to much like hard work would add weight and props affect handling, why change the safty features of a car designed in the early 90's ??
Phase 1 306 Dturbo Sigma Blue a.k.a THE LADY

[Image: redranger.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Front end doesnt need strengthening, trust me. 306 1-0 BMW
306oc Chat Wrote:15:30: Toms306 - :Genuinely thought it was gonna explode when I was playing with Sam
22:57: SRowell - :wtf why didnt you try harder to make me come!
[Image: connorsig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Anymore details on the above? I am sceptical of a 306 holding up to a BMW, but I would like it to be true.
Thanks given by:
Well I drove mine home, the BMW wouldnt even start...
306oc Chat Wrote:15:30: Toms306 - :Genuinely thought it was gonna explode when I was playing with Sam
Thanks given by:
Pics?
Thanks given by:
Wasnt really the first thing on my mind...
Thanks given by:
I believe you connor

Thanks given by:
I believe me, its what happened lol
Thanks given by:
lol yeah taking pictures of a crash is the last thing on ya mind normally

Thanks given by:
OKAY NOW EVERYONE SOD OFF UNLESS YOU HAVE A CONTRIBUTION TO MAKE.
Thanks given by:
I have a very valid contribution, no need to get up your own ass...
Thanks given by:
Ha ha best safety feature is not to crash
[Image: SDC10442-1.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Okay we know that genius. But as you can see that is not the point of this thread.
Thanks given by:
Flynn there is one safety feature that you have overlooked. Leave the car in the drive! That's the safest way. Airbags are not really going to help you in a crash really. Especially ones in a 12+ year old car that might not even detonate in a crash!
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Ok serious answer

Rollcage
Thanks given by:
i did make a contribution, like i said whats the point in outting all that in your car to much of a faf just leave it be and drive carefully

Thanks given by:
Jonny b Wrote:Ok serious answer

Rollcage

Well that's an improvement over your previous but still not good enough. A trollcage won't be suitable for me as it would be far too restrictive. Also it would not protect in frontal impacts, if the damage got as far as the rollcage you would already be like a sardine in a tin anyway. What are the implications of reinforcing the front and middle aspects of the car?
Thanks given by:
Flynn Wrote:
Jonny b Wrote:Ok serious answer

Rollcage

Well that's an improvement over your previous but still not good enough. A trollcage won't be suitable for me as it would be far too restrictive. Also it would not protect in frontal impacts, if the damage got as far as the rollcage you would already be like a sardine in a tin anyway. What are the implications of reinforcing the front and middle aspects of the car?

Didn't realise posts had to be good enough. I do apologise for letting you down!

What your talking about then really is strengthening the chassis and that isn't going to be easy or cheap. If it really worries you, get a different car. Unfortunately the 306 isn't the safest car in the world!!
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
The guy gives you a serious answer and you still winge about it and you wounder why everybody puts silly answers down

Thanks given by:
Well then either buy a new car one that has a decent ncap rating, or I revert back to my original post of don't crash
Thanks given by:
Lots of foam + cushions? Much easier, or do like clarkson and make a concrete floor, thatll stiffen it up a little bit.. Use it in doors aswell.

Oh and its cheap?
Thanks given by:
PH1 306 XUD - 11mm VE, Big 'bine, TMIC = Plenty of coal, abuse, heatsoak and a power band of 4.3k - 6k = One shagged car.
[Image: sig2.png]
Thanks given by:
Flynn you sit in the car and we will come round and fill it with concrete free of charge!! Safe as houses then bud
Thanks given by:
Hitchos Wrote:The guy gives you a serious answer and you still winge about it and you wounder why everybody puts silly answers down
What so pointing out the downsides as a matter of conversation is 'wingeing' now is it? You are becoming very irritating, very fast.

Jonny b Wrote:Well then either buy a new car one that has a decent ncap rating, or I revert back to my original post of don't crash

No mate. I am talking about little things like perhaps welding some small pieces of tubular bracing from the bulk head to the inside of the inner wings. Also there have been several threads that show a 306 stands up quite well in real world crash scenarios. The last one protected it's occupant in a head on where he was doing 60 and the other car was doing 80!
Thanks given by:
Take a look at that video. You are going to have to do some serious work to change the outcome. The video/test is a common test due to it being a fairly common type of crash, and at only 40mph, you have to say, it took rather a beating. Also, the actual driver ratings where pretty poor. The chest area (rather an important area I feel) scored a "Weak", one from the bottom of a 5 rating colour system. Your gonna have to do a lot to change this. - Not "little things".

Matthew
PH1 306 XUD - 11mm VE, Big 'bine, TMIC = Plenty of coal, abuse, heatsoak and a power band of 4.3k - 6k = One shagged car.
[Image: sig2.png]
Thanks given by:
Flynn Wrote:
Hitchos Wrote:The guy gives you a serious answer and you still winge about it and you wounder why everybody puts silly answers down
Flynn Wrote:What so pointing out the downsides as a matter of conversation is 'wingeing' now is it? You are becoming very irritating, very fast.

Proberly get a warning for this but:

If yu were such a genious you would have figured out i wasnt just on about this thread but just about every reply you make you are either calling everybody fools or idiots or whatever, people give you advice you disagree with them you are a very opianated person do you talk to people like that when your not behind a computer no i dont expect you do so get off your high horse just look at just about every reply you make you annoy somebody, so who is the irritating one??

Thanks given by:
Tell you what, why don't you have a look at a brand new Focus? Hugely safe, 73 airbags, crumple zones, traction control, massive brakes, deformable dash materials. Then you'd be far safer than in a 306 Smile

Also, you could join a Ford forum...
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by:
Hitchos Wrote:people give you advice you disagree with them you are a very opianated person

Correct.

Hitchos Wrote:do you talk to people like that when your not behind a computer no i dont expect you do so get off your high horse just look at just about every reply you make you annoy somebody, so who is the irritating one??

Talk to people like what? My reply to jonny b was perfectly civil, you are just trying to become popular because you've seen it is cool to bash me.

THE_Liam Wrote:Tell you what, why don't you have a look at a brand new Focus? Hugely safe, 73 airbags, crumple zones, traction control, massive brakes, deformable dash materials. Then you'd be far safer than in a 306 Smile

Also, you could join a Ford forum...

Please read the thread title to see what this thread is about, it is not a 'what car' thread. Besides I don't want to be another drone in a Focus.
Thanks given by: