Losing enthusiasm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Losing enthusiasm
I can't help but feeling that I'm losing enthusiasm for modding cars. I've been driving the DT for a few months and it's been no trouble at all so now I'm starting to look at modding it a bit and I'm really struggling for motivation. I went to try the nimrods on it today and realised they needed spacers, but I just couldn't be arsed and lobbed them back in the shed, and every time I look at the car I see dents and scratches that just make me want to scrap it. Even the smallest jobs like servicing, swapping the bumpers or doing the Bosch conversion just seem like too much hassle, ad I'd rather be down the pub or just driving....

Not so long ago I'd finish work and be out until dark working on the car or going to meets and cruises, now I keep having thoughts about just buying a new Focus on finance with a big warranty and not giving a f*ck, even though I wouldnt want the debt or even any new car...

This happen to anyone else?
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by:
Yes everytime when the cars off the road because im waiting for bits but once its all together im love it more, hang in there dude
[Image: fe6eddc8-1731-4100-a5fe-1edb853a88b6_zpseeacf928.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Mate I feel the same, its one of the many reasons Ive got a new car so hopefully I dont feel the urge to modify it so much and dont have to feel embarrassed taking it to a garage for a service.

The Peugeot "just add fuel" deal looks very good and I have a massive soft spot for the 208.

That said youve had newer cars and you always come back to the 306 cos you know that they just feel numb and theyre no fun to drive.
Thanks given by:
The Skoda put me off newer cars, so much that can go wrong and expensive to fix when it does! It's modding that I'm finding difficult more than anything...

I think I'm gonna smarten up this DT, clones, Bosch and stage 1 and just run it as a daily veg-burner, then get something like an MX5 or MR2 that's fun out of the box on a classic policy, then I won't have to rush working on either car knowing I'll still have another car for work on Monday...

You going for a new car Chris?
Thanks given by:
Yes. I've lost all enthusiasm for a crap old French heap. I tried putting a few mods on and still dont like it. Unfortunately I cant find anything else I like either though, might just get the bus.
Thanks given by:
(27-01-2013, 05:30 PM)THE_Liam Wrote: You going for a new car Chris?

Picking it up Wednesday mate (in case you missed the sedans for sale thread and the other thread in the couch)
Thanks given by:
(27-01-2013, 05:44 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote:
(27-01-2013, 05:30 PM)THE_Liam Wrote: You going for a new car Chris?

Picking it up Wednesday mate (in case you missed the sedans for sale thread and the other thread in the couch)

Nah didn't miss it, just didn't read it properly lol

I'll have a look Smile
Thanks given by:
I had a similar thing. I fell out of love with my old china xs. I did a lot of work on it, but it needed loads more for the MOT, so i scrapped it and tried to leave the pug scene. I bought a saab, got bored and am now back in a 306. Its just a case of re-kindling the romance with your car mate.
[Image: car-1.jpg]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club

2000 Moonstone 1.8 Meridian - Sold
2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
Loosing the enthusiam too atm, think it's cause of the weather since it never looks her best and its too cold/wet/dark to bother doing anything with.
[Image: mcetg0.png]

ZR VVC Homebrew mapping project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=14360
Thanks given by:
Yep, On a free weekend I'd rather be playing on the bike than getting covered in oil working on the car or van. Infact the vans 3k overdue an oil change but I just can't be arsed. However standard cars bore me(even the 406 does TBH)so I'll never give up completely.
Team hand-painted-commercial Vehicle
Thanks given by:
Lost all interest when I had the mazda, got the Astra with the intention of keeping it pretty much standard an just driving it, but that has failed already and iv got the modding bug again
Thanks given by:
Everyone loses motivation at some point. I've come back from 2 years away and the Rallye isn't finished, wished i'd never taken the old engine out so I could actually use it as it's annoying me sitting there immobile. Had too much to do since coming home to get it running, like MOTing the HDi. the TVR, buying a Dooper for the mrs, masters work and tidying the shittip of a house.
Night Blue VW Golf 7 GTD : Bianca 306 Rallye : Mini Cooper D (The Mrs')
[Image: wallye-gtd.JPG?raw=1]
HDi Owner for 200k/9 years
Thanks given by:
Happens to everyone at some point IMO. Just maintain and drive it for now, I reckon a sunny day will get your interest level back up a bit!
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
know how you feel liam. had the lotus, went through 4 engines and a huge weight saving mission (really anal stuff like removing all the padding from the seats) until it blew another engine, got fed up of modding cars and sold it, bought a fiesta, lasted about 3 weeks before i was craving nice cars again, bought a fiat coupe, spent a few grand, blew headgasket fed up and sold it, ended up buying an astra van and it just went on and on like this haha

ive finally realised that i will always come back to modified cars eventually after my little strops when things go wrong so decided just to stick with what ive got, build myself something from scratch that i would care alot about but still keep a "normal" car around for when i get pissed of again lol
Current stable
'09 Mercedes E320cdi wagon 
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
(27-01-2013, 05:34 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Yes. I've lost all enthusiasm for a crap old French heap. I tried putting a few mods on and still dont like it. Unfortunately I cant find anything else I like either though, might just get the bus.

You'll get thrown off if you moan to the driver about how much better the golf was. They have a lot less patience than we do.
[Image: A1A3B2B1-9269-463A-9F21-2ABF4CE9BEAC-165...A3B3F7.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Tbh I would never sink as low as public transport.......full of other people! Confused
Thanks given by:
best thing to do liam is have a break from modding and just enjoy the car. then if you want to a little bit at a time.
Thanks given by:
Happens. Got my car for £500.

Im scared to leave my laptop in there cause i value it more than the car.

Spent £200 on alloys, £150 on suspension, is it worth it?

I guess when were grandads sitting at the fireplace, we will have a story to tell.(if we live that long God willing)

I just take my car down to the bypass and line up with a 200bhp car.

Beep beep beeeep.

When i lose, i think.."one day..one day, ill win!"

I joke, but its motivational Big Grin
Thanks given by:
I started loosing the bug when the old hdi died. The dturbo just didn't excite me enough. But now I got the hdi I'm back on it. Can't wait to get started.

Just need something new to try.
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
[Image: 6b0c7309-5184-463c-9f73-2a7b96601418_zpsfdf041fe.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(27-01-2013, 07:44 PM)kentiiboii Wrote: I started loosing the bug when the old hdi died. The dturbo just didn't excite me enough. But now I got the hdi I'm back on it. Can't wait to get started.

what liam needs is an old beat up nova to mod. thats what hes missing really.
Thanks given by:
I know the feeling i am going tho the same thing atm,im so close to taking the good bits off and scrapping the lot and startimg over!
TD04 11mm Sedan, now 2.1 vnt

Sedan Project http://306oc.co.uk/forum/thread-5763.html

Provence Dturbo Dead
Blaze 1.6 Dead
China 5dr '6 Death by cambelt failure
Matt White HDI estate Death by wiring
Sedan Dturbo aka triggers broom
Diablo estate Dturbo Living dead
Thanks given by:
(27-01-2013, 07:46 PM)procta Wrote:
(27-01-2013, 07:44 PM)kentiiboii Wrote: I started loosing the bug when the old hdi died. The dturbo just didn't excite me enough. But now I got the hdi I'm back on it. Can't wait to get started.

what liam needs is an old beat up nova to mod. thats what hes missing really.

I fancy a proper sports car as a second car, something like a mk1 MR2 or an MX5, I can insure either for about £250 on a classic policy. Basically, something that's interesting straight away...
Thanks given by:
Same problem again today, I'm off work, the sun's out, I intended to go swap the bumpers and rad and give it a good clean but I just keep saying "One more cuppa/cig and I'll make a start"...

CBA TBH.
Thanks given by:
Had to drive a friend to a pet store on other side of town, during rush hour, and a time limit, with rain. Sounds pretty boring but being able to navigate the roads well and controlled, and able to put the power down when needing it really made for some fun moments and kinda made me fall for the old girl again a little bit.
[Image: mcetg0.png]

ZR VVC Homebrew mapping project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=14360
Thanks given by:
Put the power down? On a wet road? Funny I had to do a similar thing yesterday and it just made me hate mine more...think I've taken a few mm off the proxes....and the clutch....in the process. I want rid of the heap nowwwwwwwwwww! Dodgy
Thanks given by:
(30-01-2013, 10:39 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Put the power down? On a wet road? Funny I had to do a similar thing yesterday and it just made me hate mine more...think I've taken a few mm off the proxes....and the clutch....in the process. I want rid of the heap nowwwwwwwwwww! Dodgy

Ffs tom
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
[Image: 6b0c7309-5184-463c-9f73-2a7b96601418_zpsfdf041fe.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(30-01-2013, 10:46 AM)kentiiboii Wrote:
(30-01-2013, 10:39 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Put the power down? On a wet road? Funny I had to do a similar thing yesterday and it just made me hate mine more...think I've taken a few mm off the proxes....and the clutch....in the process. I want rid of the heap nowwwwwwwwwww! Dodgy

Ffs tom

lol
Thanks given by:

This says more about your inability to drive in wet weather conditions than it does about your perfectly capable and well-equipped car.
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
[Image: Sig500x130.png]
Thanks given by:
I'm that pissed off I'm considering living up to my avatar again...
Thanks given by:
(30-01-2013, 10:47 AM)C.A.R. Wrote:

This says more about your inability to drive in wet weather conditions than it does about your perfectly capable and well-equipped car.

Ok, so how do you pull out of a junction or onto a roundabout quickly in the wet? Theres traffic as its 5pm so you've only got a small slot to jump in to...how do you do it?

You cant! Boot it and it just spins the wheels or slips the clutch, use little enough power to avoid the spin and you've cut someone up, even then you can't get out of thier way quickly as it still spins if you drop into second....you could drp into third by then you've lost the small amount of power it had and laboured it..... I really cannot get on with the HDi lol.

Wouldnt mind if it had some top end instead, but it doesnt, someone in a van decided to play with me on the A14 yesterday for a few miles (i was on the right as Id let him join from a sliproad, he was speeding up and slowing down each time I did, what was the point of that!) to the point where I was almost at my sliproad and couldnt get across, doing about 65ish, so I floored it in 4th to speed up, nothing happened, dropped to third, lots of noise but barely any increase in speed (in the end I thought f*ck it, cut up the bastard and made my exit, his own fault for being a bellend!)...I mean wtf, where is this designed to be used if not round town and not motorway!

I do agree I'm not a particularly good driver, and at the moment concentration and skill are not exactly at the front of my mind, but certainly not the worst driver, it just seems as though the HDi is crap in pretty much every situation. Being an estate you'd think it was good for carrying stuff....well you can fit it in, but the decrease in power to weight ratio is terrible, its about the same as the NAD when its filled up! lol

Whats worse is that I cant find anything I 'like' (which meets my criteria) to replace it with either.

Anyway, that'll do my HDi rant for the day. Hopefully mine is just broken as I'm sure yours all beat veyrons... Tongue
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Acer e15 windows 8 laptop keeps losing Wifi Paul_13 8 2,440 21-12-2014, 04:26 PM
Last Post: Paul_13
  Losing the enthusiasm for owning fast cars... lewisdmz 42 8,233 13-06-2014, 02:29 PM
Last Post: nominous
  Losing the will with my 306 KrisCampbell 15 4,542 16-04-2013, 04:34 PM
Last Post: KrisCampbell