MPG Problems

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MPG Problems
Afternoon all,

It appears as though my car is returning nothing above 30mpg, more accurately 27mpg.

A full tank of veg(55veg+5unleaded) returned under 400 miles.

Ive topped up 2x£20 of diesel since, and it failed to return over 100miles(in each instance)

What could be the problem? Ive had a look for leaks. It only seemed so poor after my bosch pump change.

Could it be because ive turned the fuel + boost really low? (still awaiting a proper tune/setup :hahaSmile
Thanks given by:
cold weather/short journeys kills mpg's. id asses that first
Current stable
'09 Mercedes E320cdi wagon 
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
TBH mate recently ive been getting in the low 30s
Thanks given by:
Same here...

Whats going on with your tuning situation?
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
Low 30s? f*ck, you might aswell run petrols in the winter tbh, you shouldn't half your mpg just cos its a bit chilly! Confused

My HDi is still doing 52mpg........how thats possible I dunno, freezing temps, lots of snow, low gears and wheel spins yet it does the same as a normal eco run, ridiculous lol!
Thanks given by:
(27-01-2013, 06:51 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Low 30s? f*ck, you might aswell run petrols in the winter tbh, you shouldn't half your mpg just cos its a bit chilly! Confused
LOL have you seen the MPG i get from a 6 or a cabby, try low 20s and even less on a blast.

(27-01-2013, 06:51 PM)Toms306 Wrote: My HDi is still doing 52mpg........how thats possible I dunno, freezing temps, lots of snow, low gears and wheel spins yet it does the same as a normal eco run, ridiculous lol!
Its trying to prove to you you need to stop worrying about MPG
Thanks given by:
i want 50mpg Sad, cant wait for the summer this year, going to put my costco membership to use!

But im happy im in the same boat. Luls.

Need to have my pump set up properly, i tuned the boost right down and fuel down too.

Turbo wasnt modified and pump was.

But my uncles suppose to be sorting it! Soon as we get some decent weatherr!
Thanks given by:
If it makes you feel any better my 2.2 has been doing ~32mpg with plenty of redline recently
Thanks given by:
(27-01-2013, 06:58 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote:
(27-01-2013, 06:51 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Low 30s? f*ck, you might aswell run petrols in the winter tbh, you shouldn't half your mpg just cos its a bit chilly! Confused
LOL have you seen the MPG i get from a 6 or a cabby, try low 20s and even less on a blast.

Speechless
Thanks given by:
Just to add to what dum said, friend of mine sold his hdi and got a '6... Easily costs him 3 times as much a week in fuel... It makes a nice noise but f*ck that.
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
im getting 40mpg mild tuning on 95% veg...and lots of snow driving and cold starts
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
£14/10litres and lights on.

Got 40 miles

Thats 20mpg.

Strangely enough, this only has started happening after i had my bosch pump put in. Any common places to check for leaks?(I havent noticed the obvious puddle, or the smell of diesel).

I did mention i got 380 miles off 55+5 veg/unleaded. But admitidly i was driving on boost most of the time trying to empty it ^_^

Edit:infact its been like this after gov mod. I think i wouldve retuned 500miles on the veg driving at 2k rpm.

I screwed my boost compensator in all the way. And fuel screw is in aswell(i was having problems starting it after gov mod cause i messed its alignment up)...im assuming I need a proper tune set-up.(which I am still waiting for) luls.
Thanks given by:
if its running too lean that can reduce your mpg aswel as performance. the engine is having to work harder to get the power if you know what i mean.

i noticed vastly improved economy when i tuned the pump on my 405 daily, it did destroy the clutch but for the month it was running fine mpg increased by about 10. same story on the 306, maxxed out pump and huge turbo but can still get to london and nearly back on £30
Current stable
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
Yep its running lean. It doesnt have its 2500rpm kick any more and it feels like forever building up speed.

I must get it set up properly!
Thanks given by:
thats what i would do, get your pump tuned properly and see how that goes
Current stable
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
Boost comp should be right out, the max fuel up until you get smoke at full throttle at the psi you want then turn it back abit. Adjust idle to suit... If you fitted the bosch yourself you should have no trouble giving it a little tune up :p
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
Dan done the bosch fitting, im too scared to turn the fuel screw. Last time I done it, engine started screaming high revs!

But hopefully this weekend itl be sorted. Then a trip to costco to treat the car Big Grin
Thanks given by:
throttle shaft not a spline out is it? not giving 100% full throttle...
Thanks given by:
(29-01-2013, 08:59 PM)zx_volcane Wrote: throttle shaft not a spline out is it? not giving 100% full throttle...

That too could be the issue. but ive revved it to 5500 rpm, and if i put my foot right down, I see smoke in the rear. So maybe not :/

Anyway, how do you go about setting the spline? Wind the bit on the pump to full revs, then put arm on and push it back to 0 revs?

Or wind it to 0 revs and put arm on?
Thanks given by: