Phase 1 D Turbo.... No Power/Turbo?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Phase 1 D Turbo.... No Power/Turbo?
Hi guys,

Picked up my Phase 1 D Turbo last weekend. Was a 210 mile drive back home, and engine and turbo seemed fine, kicked in at around 2500rpm, and sitting at 60/70 on the motorway in 5th... put foot down and it would pull well and you could hear the turbo spool up (more so because I have the bonnet sound deadening missing).

Anyway, few days later and I noticed that the turbo didn't seem to kick in. I put a post up just before this to say that I thought my accelerator cable was knackered as the throttle pedal was very stiff.

So I thought perhaps the throttle wasn't opening correctly, therefore not getting up in revs and not allowing turbo to kick in.

Did a small trip today, going up a slight hill in second/third and it struggled to pull much more than 20 or 30 mph!!

On the motorway, it won't do much more than 60 or 70 mph unless there is a decline to help the car increase speed.

It doesn't seem to accelerate much at all. Had a quick look at the accelerator cable in the engine bay, whilst someone put their foot down on the accelerator, and seemed ok.

However, the accelerator pedal definitely doesn't feel right. It doesn't feel like it has full travel, it could just be me, but it doesn't seem to go down enough if that makes sense.

Anyway, any ideas what this could be? Possible cable related, or an air leak or something somewhere?

Would appreciate some help as it's very frustrating having people up my ass when going up a hill and they think I'm deliberately driving very slow when in fact I can't go any faster lol

Cheers
Opinions are like bumholes. Everyone has one, and we all think everyone elses stinks.
Thanks given by:
Is there any smoke coming out of the exhaust?

If not check your injectors aren't leaking from the seals or change the fuel filter
MG ZR TD+ - gone and easily forgotten
Fabia vRS PD130 - New daily
Astra H VXR - new toy!
Thanks given by:
As said, any smoke?

Is the turbo a lot louder than before/does it sound like a pressure washer on boost?
Thanks given by:
I could come have a nosey if you want?
As for the sound deadening I think I've binned mine
[Image: IMG_20130925_181339_zps95df48fa.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Yea me or Phil could come see it. Might just be a boost leak.
Thanks given by:
Yeah if either of you wouldn't mind having a look that would be much appreciated.

Drop me a message on 07875 396600 to let us know when you're free to have a nosey.

Cheers guys
Opinions are like bumholes. Everyone has one, and we all think everyone elses stinks.
Thanks given by:
What turbo do you have on it?
[Image: edit2_zpsbe60b3ca.jpg]

Team derv FLAME and CONROD spitters
Thanks given by:
Garrett T2 turbo I believe.
Thanks given by:
Definitely not running right!

Can't see any smoke, but I put my foot down and it's like the car will not accelerate, in fifth I pretty much can't get it above 2000rpm and 60mph, so I can't even get to 2500rpm to see if the turbo is even kicking in.

I'm sure this throttle pedal doesn't feel right, but need some suggestions as it is painfully slow at the moment, especially coming from a GTI-6!
Thanks given by:
blocked fuel filter???
Thanks given by:
How would I be able to tell?
Thanks given by:
(27-01-2013, 02:48 PM)Ash J Wrote: How would I be able to tell?

for the cost of it just fit a new one,its one of the things that should always get replaced as well as a service and cambelt on a secoundhand diesel car
Thanks given by:
Had a friend Rich (you know the guy Mark) look at it tonight, and he has confirmed he is sure it is turbo related.

Hoping it is a boost leak or something as when I first picked the car up last weekend the turbo was working ok and you could hear the turbo spooling up.

Mark or Phil, would appreciate one of you having a look over boost pipes etc when you're free as not entirely sure what I'm looking at! Would be appreciated.

Cheers Smile
Thanks given by:
Can maybe do an evening after work.
Thanks given by:
Yeah would appreciate that Mark, my number is 07875 396600 so whenever is best for you just let me know, if you can't do an evening then sometime on weekend would be fine.

Cheers.
Thanks given by:
Had a look into my problem today and all sorted! Literally a 30 second job!

There is a push pin type of thing that attaches to the accelerator cable at the engine bay end. This had come off and wasn't allowing full throttle to be applied.

I knew it was related to this somehow, I kept saying to people that the accelerator pedal didn't feel right!

Over the moon! It now really pulls Big Grin
Thanks given by:
Nicely done mate, good to finally meet you in tesco lol.

See you and rich at ace.
Thanks given by:
Phew!! I thought you had already broken my old pug!
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Turbo query / help 2.1 Cbray2003 6 2,585 04-12-2017, 06:34 PM
Last Post: Piggy
  Turbo AmedeoRS 3 1,959 11-09-2017, 12:32 PM
Last Post: Chris_90
  306 d turbo Puglove95 5 2,702 30-06-2017, 03:42 PM
Last Post: Puglove95