Mechanical Speedo cable help?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mechanical Speedo cable help?
Question 
Took into trying to fix my speedo this afternoon. It has me stumped, the cable seems to be in 2 bits, box to bulkhead then just before the bulkhead into the dash.

When i disconnect the speedo cable in two bits where it disconnects at the bulkhead i can see the end of it turning. So that side is working. although when i join them back together its not spinning at the dash end. I can pull the inside of the cable out from the dash end, i've inspected it and its not broken. It still has the square end that should be connecting to the other cable at the bulkhead.

Its as if its not long enough. Anyone took the speedo cable right out from the dash? Is it hard to get back in? or has anyone any ideas?
Thanks given by:
Its not a to bad job to do is quite fiddley has it not just come out of the back of the clocks as it only pushes in iirc.
Thanks given by:
Yeah, I think the outside of the cable had been pulled so the inside bit that spins wasn't long enough anymore. Think I need a new one but I'm not looking forward to feeding it through the dash and the bulkhead.
Thanks given by:
if you had it out of the back of the speedo are you sure you put it back into the connector right?

it has to go in a specific way otherwise it doesnt work. fiddly pain in the ass job to do, but basically you just have to turn it once at a time, reconnect to instrument cluster, re-assemble then test.
repeat until you get the right alignment

thats what i can think of anyway
Current stable
'09 Mercedes E320cdi wagon 
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
Yeah, well I jacked it up and put her in gear with the clocks out. The end of the speedo cable isn't turning. Though it is turning the first half of the cable from the box to the bulkhead cos it splits there aswell and you can see it turning.
Thanks given by:
have you seperated the cable where it joins?
Current stable
'09 Mercedes E320cdi wagon 
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Lucas Pump: mechanical or semi-ecu controlled? andy_diesel 3 1,956 23-11-2016, 05:00 AM
Last Post: Dave
  205 XUD9TE Speedo Cable silverzx 10 2,524 25-09-2013, 05:20 PM
Last Post: Piggy