Temperature gauge

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Temperature gauge
My temperature gauge doesn't seem to move much even after a 170 mile drive its still right down by the bottom, also,the heaters don't blow very hot air, it's warm but not overly warm

Is it a gauge fault?

I'm pretty sure it's not a thermostat problem otherwise engine would over heat?
Thanks given by:
Sounds like the thermostat is stuck open.

Thermostats failsafe to open which will cool constantly rather than to shut and potentially overheat the engine.

Thermostat seems like a reasonable place to start, but bare in mind HDi's do run relatively cold. Mine never got above 84C on the OBD reader. Interior heaters got warmer than warm, but never hot.
Thanks given by:
Ok mate cheers for that, the temp gauge doesn't seem to move at all! Would that cause it to stay on cold map?
Thanks given by:
im sure this was the first thing you checked, but have you checked the coolant level?
if the level is too low the sensor isnt covered therefore wont read anything.
also could possibly be an airlock in the coolant. something to look into.

if its non of these things my money on a blocked heater matrix as for why you dont have any heat
Current stable
'09 Mercedes E320cdi wagon 
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
Mine barely ever rises above 70c. Cully says the cold map stops at 69c, so the majority of the time its on cold map for me as it takes a good 15 miles or so to hit 70!

Oh and the heaters are rubbish as well, even when the blower does decide to work......but that may be because I was used to heaters in a better car before lol.
Thanks given by:
get some diagnostic equipment on there as the hdi use's a second temp probe to measure the temp for ECU reference

so the gauge sensor may be faulty but the Ecu sensor could be good compare the two to prove the gauge is telling the truth
both sensors are in the same package (blue plug right hand side of block in the thermostat housing)

but its probably the thermostat is stuck open like fuzi has said
Thanks given by:
Change the thermostat, re bleed and report back Smile
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
Yeah coolant is full and heaters blow warm air ill get the thermostat changed and report back to you cheers guys
Thanks given by:
Don't think you'll be far wrong with changing the thermostat, hope it sorts it for you.

(25-01-2013, 05:38 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Mine barely ever rises above 70c. Cully says the cold map stops at 69c, so the majority of the time its on cold map for me as it takes a good 15 miles or so to hit 70!

That's because yours is broken and you refuse to fix it/acknowledge the issues, either deal with it or stop banging on about it.

Oh and the heaters are rubbish as well, even when the blower does decide to work......but that may be because I was used to heaters in a better car before lol.

See above lol. My engine in the project warms up in under five minutes and the heaters are hot enough to hurt your hands.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
I think my hdi could do with a thermostat. It only just reaches the white mark for 70c.
Heater are warm but not hot. I know my old hdi used to sit about 80c.
Thermostat is on list with service and new coolant Smile.
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
[Image: 6b0c7309-5184-463c-9f73-2a7b96601418_zpsfdf041fe.jpg]
Thanks given by: