Cold map??

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cold map??
Since fitting my new turbo, I've noticed that when I set off in the morning and also to go home from work, I have no power, feels exactly like I've blown a boost hose off.

It also appears to be struggling to make any boost, the gauge shows very little at all, sub 8 psi at a guess.

As soon as it starts to warm up (maybe 2 mins driving) the power comes in all of a sudden and it's fine, no issues and drives really nicely Big Grin

It's worth noting that I always take it really easy on a cold engine, I'm not trying to get much from it, but this really is weak. Also that I still have no air intake piping, so even though the MAF is plugged in, it won't be giving correct readings, if any.

I'm guessing that this is just the cold map, and the fact that this turbo is just a little bit more laggy, it's making it really obvious. But any thoughts would help!
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
Because you have electrics controlling your engine; fail already.... sorry mate. gotta scrap it in
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:
Because you have a 306... owait.

Thanks given by:
touché ... but is that someone REALLLY to be proud of Undecided
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:
Could well be the cold map with no maf, would test it for you, but mine goes into limp when i unplug it. Dodgy Who's the map file from, do you know if they have changed the cold map at all?
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
*something

And yes. Something to be very proud of haha.
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
Thanks given by:
(25-01-2013, 02:06 PM)Matt Wrote: *something

And yes. Something to be very proud of haha.

Damn right!
[Image: A1A3B2B1-9269-463A-9F21-2ABF4CE9BEAC-165...A3B3F7.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Cold map with a broken MAF is terrible, trust me on that lol. Tried unplugging the MAF if it's not already unplugged. Makes it a little better....
Thanks given by:
There is no such thing as a "cold map" unless the person who has remmaped it (is it remapped?) manually made it - and I highly doubt it.

Disconnecting the maf will make the ECU run by pre-set MAF values - this is okay'ish, far from perfect, but it will run with it. Some of the remaps around will smoke badly if you disconnect the MAF, it all depends on how it has been remapped.

Like Poodle says some of them will enter limp when the MAf is disconnected, it depends on the Sw used. Some will only log a silent error, and some will throw a full limp mode and MIL.

Who mapped it?
Thanks given by:
AFAIK you mapped it lol

It's DumDum's old estate.

Either way it works fine now I have a MAF plumbed into the air intake.

Thanks given by:
HAHA - I'll take a look at the remap. Smile

Always use the MAF, or disconnect it alltogether, never use it plumbed in - but not in the airstream to the engine.
Thanks given by:
I was gonna say, having a MAF plugged in but not in the air flow is not gonna make things happy.

MAF unplugged or not working is still not ideal either really.

MAF is a good thing to have there and working properly.

Dave
Thanks given by:
(01-02-2013, 08:05 AM)tb205gti Wrote: There is no such thing as a "cold map" unless the person who has remmaped it (is it remapped?) manually made it - and I highly doubt it.

Why is it very noticeably slower when cold then?

I was always under the impression you need more fuel when cold as some of it sticks to the cylinder walls or is lost down the sides or the piston. Maybe not a different map altogether, but must be some difference in the map when the engines cold?
Thanks given by:
In fairness I thought there was a ect limiter in use... I've not studied HDi maps at all really, but I thought there was one, though is it just when the coolant gets TOO hot it limits iq?
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
(01-02-2013, 01:17 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Why is it very noticeably slower when cold then?

I was always under the impression you need more fuel when cold as some of it sticks to the cylinder walls or is lost down the sides or the piston. Maybe not a different map altogether, but must be some difference in the map when the engines cold?

There are a lot of compensator maps that gives a slightly richer mixture when it is cold, because internal losses are greater when the engine is cold. The injectors hit the bowl in the piston, if they hit the cylinder walls - you have a serious defect Wink

but there is not a set of maps that define a "cold map" in it - unless you make that yourself.
Thanks given by:
With the state of the injectors in mine god knows where the fuel is ending up. lol

However now Ive thought about it, it was from an assignment I done, but it was the reason that direct injection is better than indirect in petrol, probaly applies to diesel as well though, but yes I see your point.

Im slightly confused though, you say there isn't a cold map (or set of)...yet there are maps that give a richer mixture when cold.....whats the difference? Confused
Thanks given by:
(01-02-2013, 06:24 PM)Toms306 Wrote: With the state of the injectors in mine god knows where the fuel is ending up. lol

However now Ive thought about it, it was from an assignment I done, but it was the reason that direct injection is better than indirect in petrol, probaly applies to diesel as well though, but yes I see your point.

Im slightly confused though, you say there isn't a cold map (or set of)...yet there are maps that give a richer mixture when cold.....whats the difference? Confused

Sory English os not my mothers tongue.

When you remap it - you do not have a "cold map" that you modify that then is used solely for when the engine is cold. but there are a bunch of compensator maps that will alter the fuel depending on the inlet temperature, coolant temperature, diesel temperature and on some oil temperature. ..But they are also used to cut back on the diesel when the engine gets (too) warm.

Does it make sensor, or am I talking out my arse? Smile
Thanks given by:
Ah ok, yes I see what you mean, that does make sense. Smile
Thanks given by: