Running veg.. now wont start

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Running veg.. now wont start
hi all

i was using veg for about 3 weeks, all new stuff, and i was quite impressed to be fair... but 2 weeks ago i was on my way back from derby and it started to stutter, and eventually got to the point where it was really lumpy idle and kept cutting out, i had to pretty much left foot brake all the way home, just so i could keep the revs up when slowing down for a junction.

i had a look the next day, and it took forever to start, the hand primer wouldnt get hard, and when started, if my foot was planted, the max rpm was only 4000, and even with my foot down, the revs drop after about 15 seconds, and it eventually dies....

ive dropped out all the veg, put diesel in, blown out all the lines (tank to filter, fuel return, all injector lines and filter to pump) with the air compressor, changed the fuel filter, even tried it without, but still no luck.

ive left it for the past week or so because of the snow and its starting to irritate the hell outta me..

just wondered if anyone has had a similar problem, or knows what the problem might be ?

Thanks, Adam Smile
Thanks given by:
Try changing the grenade, might be a slight air leak coming in from there
Thanks given by:
the grenade is fine, i tried a mates on mine, and mine on my mates, and his ran fine.. mines still the same Sad
Thanks given by:
You are on a bosch pump aren't you?
[Image: IMG_20130925_181339_zps95df48fa.jpg]
Thanks given by:
i am yea Smile
Thanks given by:
Have you checked your in tank strainer? if not, clean it. its blocked.

also, check for air ingression in your fuel lines.. Remove the standard fuel filter housing and run an inline filter. Another weak spot, especially when subjected to increased vacuum withing fuel lines on veg
[Image: brokendown-1-1-1.jpg]

Dturbo GT2259s build thread;
http://306oc.co.uk/forum/thread-3692.html

Daily driver; 330d Msport (doesn't blow up!)
Thanks given by:
WHats the smoke look like if there is any?
Stage 2 XUD Sedan
Thanks given by:
just had a quick look at the tank sender, its not blocked, tried priming again, still soft, although now im hearing a slight hissing, and ive noticed all my injectors are wet, could this be leak off pipes ? as the pipe union on the top is tight.

if it is leak off pipes, i wasnt aware they could cause a problem like this

also whats air ingression ?

i believe its mostly fuel, as it leaves my drive black,the smoke is like a greyish colour
Thanks given by:
You know to bleed it through aswell dont you? Crack off all the unions and turn it over til you get fuel there? I find on veg the grenade has hell of a job suck it through from the tank! If its wet all around the injectors i'd guess leak offs but have a look should be visibly leaking if its like that :p
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
change leak offs and go again . . . .Smile
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
I would crack off each injector while cranking...

sounds like the system just needed a good coating of oil first, when I first ran my veg oil I replaced the filter a number of times in quick succession due to it blocking...

recently overhauled the fuel filter housing, removing the stat in it to ensure oil always heated and silicone sealing everything up, sensors etc...

it now starts so much better and runs so much better...i knew it was air getting in and had tried all the more obvious, should have done it years ago!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(25-01-2013, 10:34 AM)Piggy1987 Wrote: I would crack off each injector while cranking...

sounds like the system just needed a good coating of oil first, when I first ran my veg oil I replaced the filter a number of times in quick succession due to it blocking...

recently overhauled the fuel filter housing, removing the stat in it to ensure oil always heated and silicone sealing everything up, sensors etc...

it now starts so much better and runs so much better...i knew it was air getting in and had tried all the more obvious, should have done it years ago!

Is there a guide on how to remove the stat? is it just a case of removing it or do you have to jam it open? Also what sensors did you seal up?

Im asking as im planing on running veg as soon as i get the bosch on.

Sorry about hijacking the thread

Thanks given by:
http://www.biopowered.co.uk/wiki/Filter_...nd_Citroen

follow that guide...

although I found the one penny needed filing a bit
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(25-01-2013, 01:38 PM)Piggy1987 Wrote: http://www.biopowered.co.uk/wiki/Filter_...nd_Citroen

follow that guide...

although I found the one penny needed filing a bit

Thats a great guide thanks!
Did you use some special sealant that carnt be eaten by the fuel or just normal sealant?
Also it says that it warms it up via the coolant but on the first start when the car is cold surely it wont heat it up that much?

Thanks given by:
Im going with air getting in around the fuel filter housing I"ve had a similar problem, I think that it was just a coincidence that you was on veg when this has happened.
Bye Bye D-Turbo
Phase 1 GTi-6 now has a new owner
Rolling in the: Phase 3 HDI Wagon

The current estate project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/thread-22237.html
Thanks given by:
(25-01-2013, 04:36 PM)Jtrigga Wrote: Im going with air getting in around the fuel filter housing I"ve had a similar problem, I think that it was just a coincidence that you was on veg when this has happened.

yeah good shout except veg makes it happen lol . . .
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
thanks, i appreciate the advice...

each time its cut out, ive re-bled the system by pumping the grenade and cracking off the unions on the injectors, ive had the filter housing off and changed the gasket, but havent used any sealant as i didnt think i would need to with a new one Smile

ill change the leak off pipes, and silicone the joints up Smile

ill let you know how it goes Smile
Thanks given by:
got it sorted Smile

took the sender out n blasted a hairdryer in there to heat the fuel up, put a heatlamp on the engine bay to hopefully melt the fat thats possibly blocked it up, took the filter housing off, cleaned it up, gasket sealed it back on, put some redex in the tank and in the filter housing, got a new filter, and worked straight away...

quite gobsmacked i got it working to be fair Smile
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Wont start when warm HDIkyle 0 863 04-04-2014, 10:47 PM
Last Post: HDIkyle
  fitted new pump now wont start :( Tonibruce 27 8,807 15-09-2013, 06:34 PM
Last Post: Piggy
  Help 405 wont start/ turnover pug_dturb 3 1,298 16-07-2013, 11:10 AM
Last Post: andywhy