Help!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help!
Hey guys, in a moment of madness I bought a dodgy 1.4 Peugeot 306 for 460 quid.
Stupid I know but for the insurance price it was ethier that, a 1.25 fiesta or a fiat shedcento!
But as predicted, the pug has had some problems.
Number 1 is the whiny, clunky gearbox which tells me the cheese they're made out of has gone mouldy on mine. Now are the gearboxes the same linkage type on a t reg? There's a cheap box in good condition on ebay that's also off a t. Reg!
How easy is a box to fit and what else should I replace while it's off?

Fault number two is the fact the engine is leaking oil, too the tune of nearly a litre in two weeks eek. I've changed rockercover gasket today and headgasket wasvdone last may! There was some mayo under the rocker cover but that might just be me doing short journeys! I hope!

Problem number three is the heater doesn't really heat! Which ducks and the coolant cap never seems pressurized after a drive...

Number four is the horrendous knock as I accelerate, engine mount?

And the final one is that there's a knock from the back of the car over bumps. Rear mounts? Should I panic? Will people die?

And can noone please make jokes about it being slow! I know it is but it has twice the power of my first two cars and I'm saving for uni/106 rallye so shh!
Thanks given by:
ouch.

My guess;

1 - gearbox - as long as its a TU engine, then yes, the gearboxes should be the same. Pretty sure being a T reg it would be.
- change the clutch whilst you're there and a load of new fluid would be needed.

2/3 - leaking oil and no heating does point towards a HG - get a sniff test from your local dealer - OR, as i'm cheap, i'd drain the cooling system into a bucket and flush it through. check for any remnents? and bleed it all out. If still nothing, sniff test.

4 - accelerating knock - could be a number of things, not necessarily an engine mount (~it could be) but could also be a bearing; i know my car has a shitty knock and isn't an engine mount.

5 - rear mounts can tend to be squeaky - check for camper. Get some pics up Smile

hope that helps'ish
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:
The cooling system pressured fine before I flushed it! Is there still trapped air? What's a sniff test Mate?
Thanks given by:
rear knock should be a mount, it wont squeak. The beam can squeak when worn.

Thanks given by:
[Image: ?ui=2&ik=6354288e46&view=att&th=13c68410...A&sadssc=1]

hellmans anyone?
its a hollow knock unless i go over a speed bump then it makes a horrid squeak/grind noise
Thanks given by:
A sniff tests is a small vial, it sucks in some of the air passing the cooling system and checks for any emissions present; if positive, it's more than likely a bust headgasket.

I'd still be sure on flushing the system and bleeding it. If you've found mayo under the rocker cover, i'd like to know if it was in the colling system. flush it to be sure. takes seconds Smile
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:
well whewn i flushed the system before the water was brown and left a rainbow on the driveway just like oil
Thanks given by:
Depending on which thermostat housing its got it could be that causing oil n water to mix, mrs 106 quicksilver did it (also 1.4)
Click to see how smokey is doing Tongue ----> Project Smokey
Thanks given by:
There's two types of tu gearbox - single linkage and triple linkage. T plate should both be triple linkage but still check. There's also two different triple linkage boxes, you can get the type different to yours, but you'll need to replace the 'long' linkage if you do so.

Can you see where the oil leaks? Or is it burning away?

Bleed the cooling system if there's no heat.....but are you sure there's no heat, or has the blower just stopped blowing?

Clunk could be a dtiveshaft of other suspension part, I'd check all these for play first. Then the exhasut security and go from there...
Thanks given by:
Bought the gearbox of eBay, will have a look when it gets here, well it warms up alright just the heater isn't up to scratch and the expansion tank never seems to have pressure in even after a long drive! The oil appears to be leaking bloody everywhere but is at its worst around the alternator.
exhaust is secure but front wishbone has a failed bush so Il have to wait and she if that's the clunk, seems like the rear bushes though
Thanks given by: