fuel consumption

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
fuel consumption
my fuel really isnt going very far, i get about 45/50 mile from £10, is this about normal ? should it be doing more maybe ? my mate gets 137 from £20 so that just adds insult to injury, its running standardish boost, (16psi) on a bosch pump, i really dont know where it goes and it hasnt got a diesel leak.
Thanks given by:
Checked your leak off pipes?
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
(22-01-2013, 11:42 PM)Tom Wrote: Checked your leak off pipes?

Always a good start.
Also try the back of the filter housing and the priming bulb!

Other than that give it a good service, does them a world of good!
[Image: A1A3B2B1-9269-463A-9F21-2ABF4CE9BEAC-165...A3B3F7.jpg]
Thanks given by:
all depends on your driving when it comes to fuel consumption. if your doing short journeys, i.e. less than 15 miles, the consumption will be high as the engine will only just be warmed up as you get to your destination, i get about 120 miles for my £20 doing the commute to work of 12 miles. motorway driving and your mpg should shoot up.
primer grenade and leak off pipes are a good thing to check for fuel leaks anyway, also the filler neck into the tank is known to leak on 306's
Current stable
'09 Mercedes E320cdi wagon 
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
Depends massively on where you live aswell like ozone says! I live 7 miles from the town and 11 from work so when i thought i was getting shit mpg it actually wasnt that bad because i doubt anyone could get it up to 50 on the same route :p

If you do alot of dual carriageway/motorway driving then perhaps it should be a bit better, but i rarely see over 40mpg and thats hooning b roads all day!
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
As said above. Can vary on many things

Putting a "fiver" in is nowhere near any good enough to get a good fuel reading, the gauge is useless
The best way to actually work your mpg is brim the tank then drive then brim it again
[Image: IMG_20130925_181339_zps95df48fa.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(23-01-2013, 11:27 AM)4WayDiablo Wrote: As said above. Can vary on many things

Putting a "fiver" in is nowhere near any good enough to get a good fuel reading, the gauge is useless
The best way to actually work your mpg is brim the tank then drive then brim it again

Amen to that to, Gauge is hugely inaccurate! I think it works well when you have over half a tank in, but under that you might aswell drop rocks down the filler and listen for the splash!

Edit: Also some say it differs between what diesel you use.... So try 10quid of shell and then 10quid of asda and see if you notice any difference?
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
250 miles to £50 ultimate diesel £1.59 p/l
[Image: J5hxCcC.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(23-01-2013, 02:32 PM)CJ_Derv Wrote: 250 miles to £50 ultimate diesel £1.59 p/l

Do you notice a difference on ultimate?

Ive always been skeptical to use It in an xud as the mechanical pump uses the sulphur in diesel as lubrication for the pump and injectors to prevent blockages.
Ivy always been under the impression that ultimate diesel is for modern big diesels like big jags and Audi's
Current stable
'09 Mercedes E320cdi wagon 
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
IMO it runs sweeter on ultimate, and because im doing longer journeys rather than short it seems to get a bit more milage than normal derv plus double nectar points on ultimate haha.

I think i need a new fuel filter though as it seems to hold back a little bit around 4k but intermittantly
[Image: J5hxCcC.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(24-01-2013, 11:03 AM)CJ_Derv Wrote: IMO it runs sweeter on ultimate, and because im doing longer journeys rather than short it seems to get a bit more milage than normal derv plus double nectar points on ultimate haha.

I think i need a new fuel filter though as it seems to hold back a little bit around 4k but intermittantly

It's all about the nectar points ThumbsUpThumbsUpThumbsUp
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fuel Consumption about right? Nathan1305 17 3,300 16-03-2015, 07:09 PM
Last Post: Nathan1305
  Fuel consumption/mpg JayDub 16 4,878 25-04-2013, 11:12 AM
Last Post: silverzx