fuel filter restriction, in line

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
fuel filter restriction, in line
Anyone with an in-line filter, how does your car feel at higher revs? Mine feels like it's being held back quite a bit, unsure if my filter is the cause, or maybe my gov shim isn't big enough..? (Will attach a picture of gov)

May fix my standard filter housing and use that again. Anyone else had a fuel filter problem holding it back? Fyi I'm using an Audi TT 3.2 fuel filter, its pretty big.
GT2052s DTurbo
OEM+ HDI Estate
Project thread
Thanks given by:
Could be a number of things but I'd say fuel filter is a cheap thing to do so just do it anyway if you have any doubts.

What intake do you have on it? Has it even got an air filter on?
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
[Image: signature.png]
Thanks given by:
What fuel you running?

I clog up filters regularly with bio / veg.

When its bad I get major hesitation / fuel starvation at higher revs.

When it is catastrophic you can barely rev the engine with it having an absolute fit.

Can't see an audi big filter being any more restrictive than the standard setup, less its clogged.

You could do a quick run without to see if it has any affect?
Thanks given by:
Running a golf 2 in line fuel filter. The pump is gov moded, 9mm head and grinded lda pin, k14 at 1 bar and at 4000rpms i fill like it's holding back. Before i rebuild the pump and put the in line filter (because of the housing which was leaking) it pulled around 5000rpms.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thanks given by:
Running normal shell diesel, haven't run veg on this engine or filter. No air filter at the minute, I have got an exhaust leak from the elbow so I was thinking maybe all hot gases are being sucked back in and ruining performance.

Picture of gov mod. It can't be this holding it back surely..

[Image: IMG_0466.jpg]
GT2052s DTurbo
OEM+ HDI Estate
Project thread
Thanks given by:
Shim it solid, just don't slam the throttle pedal lol!
Thanks given by:
Hmm, did a quick 30-70 test, slight DOWNHILL, around 7.5 seconds, that's stage 1 slow.

Although I think it's smoking on boost, i gave the fuel screw 1/2 turn, and it seems perkier. Maybe the smoke was just off boost, I have never really booted it long enough for it to clear, or haven't been watching out the back for long enough. So maybe it's just not got enough max fuel, and the filter is fine..
GT2052s DTurbo
OEM+ HDI Estate
Project thread
Thanks given by:
max tait runs an audi one (cant remember which engine from) and he swears by it Big Grin
[Image: IMG_20130925_181339_zps95df48fa.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Think i've a 2.5 Orion filter, seems absolutely fine Smile
[Image: signature_zps1a02ba79.jpg]
Thanks given by:
suppose it does matter if your running veg too, as they clog up fast
[Image: IMG_20130925_181339_zps95df48fa.jpg]
Thanks given by:
I think the filter is not the problem, it's lack of max fuel. Not sure how wound in I should really go, this turbo isn't exactly big. Also my EGT gauge shoots up now I have given it 1/2 turn.
GT2052s DTurbo
OEM+ HDI Estate
Project thread
Thanks given by:
Even ANY gains to having an inline filter? Wouldn't you say it's more suited to 150bhp upwards engines and pointless on a stage 1?

Whatever fuel filter you want, surely should be off something like a v8 diesel? Marine engine or landrover or tractor, lorry. And not off something like a TT which is designed to run under pressure from a lift pump?

I'm tempted to convert, but only because I'm having starting problems and cba working on my own car.
[Image: KrisB-new-Logo11.gif]
Thanks given by:
(22-01-2013, 09:02 PM)KrisB Wrote: Even ANY gains to having an inline filter? Wouldn't you say it's more suited to 150bhp upwards engines and pointless on a stage 1?

Whatever fuel filter you want, surely should be off something like a v8 diesel? Marine engine or landrover or tractor, lorry. And not off something like a TT which is designed to run under pressure from a lift pump?

I'm tempted to convert, but only because I'm having starting problems and cba working on my own car.

Something ive never looked into tbh, can be a nightmare to start n get revving sometimes could this be filter related bud?
[Image: J5hxCcC.jpg]
Thanks given by:
I had problems to start. It was the fuel filter housing leaking.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclamation Swarf In Fuel Filter Housing jordanhdi 11 2,310 26-09-2016, 11:55 AM
Last Post: pug306driver
  Removing the fuel filter housing, but what is this behind it? Iaitoo 2 1,478 27-04-2016, 05:33 PM
Last Post: Iaitoo
  Drove 150+ miles with clogged fuel filter - now won't start mikes 21 3,644 13-04-2016, 07:17 AM
Last Post: mikes