Legal Pressed Plates

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Legal Pressed Plates
Does anyone know where to get them from? Angel
[Image: 306oc.jpg]
Thanks given by:
no such thing as a legal pressed plate im afraid, (not in the uk anyway) numberplates must be reflective and of a plastic construction unless your car is pre 1973.
you can get them at shows easy enough and granted they look good, but the police dont think so. had all sorts of trouble with having pressed plates on the mini in the end its just not worth the hassle Sad
Current stable
'09 Mercedes E320cdi wagon 
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
(22-01-2013, 03:37 PM)ozonehostile Wrote: no such thing as a legal pressed plate im afraid, (not in the uk anyway) numberplates must be reflective and of a plastic construction unless your car is pre 1973.
you can get them at shows easy enough and granted they look good, but the police dont think so. had all sorts of trouble with having pressed plates on the mini in the end its just not worth the hassle Sad

ive been reading you can get them as long as they are space, sized and have the postcode and supplier name?
Thanks given by:
as long as their reflective, have the postcode and address of the supplier i think you could argue that there legal if you get any police attention for them. depends on the cop tbh but you could end up with a fine no matter how much you try and argue.
Current stable
'09 Mercedes E320cdi wagon 
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
some suppliers claim they can send legal documents to proove they are legal :S
Thanks given by:
(22-01-2013, 03:46 PM)MiiTCH Wrote: some suppliers claim they can send legal documents to proove they are legal :S

You are ok aslong as its the old style plates iirc I.e pre 2001
[Image: A1A3B2B1-9269-463A-9F21-2ABF4CE9BEAC-165...A3B3F7.jpg]
Thanks given by:
buy some from anywhere as long as they are reflective with the correct font size and spacing, don't drive like a dick and u won't get stopped, that's what i do and no pull in 3 years of having them....if u research it you'll find it's a slightly grey area Smile
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
(22-01-2013, 03:51 PM)Oil-burner Wrote:
(22-01-2013, 03:46 PM)MiiTCH Wrote: some suppliers claim they can send legal documents to proove they are legal :S

You are ok aslong as its the old style plates iirc I.e pre 2001

whats the difference? i thought plates were plates? unless you have the black plates on classic cars...

(22-01-2013, 03:53 PM)Mattcheese31 Wrote: buy some from anywhere as long as they are reflective with the correct font size and spacing, don't drive like a dick and u won't get stopped, that's what i do and no pull in 3 years of having them....if u research it you'll find it's a slightly grey area Smile

yea i had that problem with towing a car with an A-Frame... there is actually no law... slightly off topic Tongue ive found some on ebay which have all the legal requirements and they can send legal documents as well so ill go for them I think, a lot cheaper than dub meister and i dont have to send off my ID and documents
Thanks given by:
2 companys in the uk

Dubmister
and
europl8
google them
[Image: sig-1.jpg]

106 Xud9 Conversion GtiD (2nd Engine Rebuild)
SOLD

Dan! Wrote:Want me to blow this one up for you aswel?
Thanks given by:
Technically no pressed plates are legal wether they are reflective, right colour, correct font and spacing or not.
Under the british standard, it does state they have to be made out of plastic.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
I used to run a set of legal pressed plates on a Polo I used to have.

I got them from Regal Autosport in Southampton as they are just down the road from me.

http://regal-shop-px.rtrk.co.uk/vw/acata...lates.html

Have a look at the link above, that is the company. You have to provide copy of log book and proof of ID etc.

You can order them via email too, but look at the website and perhaps give them a call first. The other company that do them is Dubmeister.

I put them on all my cars now as they look so much smarter! Never been pulled, had police officers pull up behind me and nothing, as they are still UK font, reflective, show the BSAU number and have the supplier details at the bottom.

Sorted Big Grin
Opinions are like bumholes. Everyone has one, and we all think everyone elses stinks.
Thanks given by:
(22-01-2013, 09:21 PM)Ash J Wrote: I used to run a set of legal pressed plates on a Polo I used to have.

I got them from Regal Autosport in Southampton as they are just down the road from me.

http://regal-shop-px.rtrk.co.uk/vw/acata...lates.html

Have a look at the link above, that is the company. You have to provide copy of log book and proof of ID etc.

You can order them via email too, but look at the website and perhaps give them a call first. The other company that do them is Dubmeister.

I put them on all my cars now as they look so much smarter! Never been pulled, had police officers pull up behind me and nothing, as they are still UK font, reflective, show the BSAU number and have the supplier details at the bottom.

Sorted Big Grin

But there still not legal!
It depends on your local cops though. Some will let you get away with a font that is barely readable but around here, they will ra*e you senseless for pressed plates.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
ive had em on my car for nearly 3 years and no problems. and i dont even put the front one on all the time.
[Image: newsig_zpsee86fa10.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(22-01-2013, 09:40 PM)kingy Wrote: ive had em on my car for nearly 3 years and no problems. and i dont even put the front one on all the time.

I think as Niall says, it comes do to the police in each area, using their own discretion.

But running no front plate IS illegal lmao
Opinions are like bumholes. Everyone has one, and we all think everyone elses stinks.
Thanks given by:
Never had a problem myself but they goin when i get my private plate n french pressed are a no no got fined for them on blaze lol
[Image: J5hxCcC.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(22-01-2013, 09:09 PM)Niall Wrote: Technically no pressed plates are legal wether they are reflective, right colour, correct font and spacing or not.
Under the british standard, it does state they have to be made out of plastic.

^^ this. They are legal in every way if you get the right ones but they arent made out of plastic so they arent legal. however this is something which is almost certainly over looked as most policemen wont know they have to be plastic!

I think I have bought these in the past.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PRESSED-ALLUMI...23272087e0
Thanks given by:
Problem is, police are being given more and more access to car standards and are handing out more and more fines or producers for construction and use.
Police round here even check for cats on newer cars. Thats why, as much as i would love a decat, its just not worth the hassle!
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
ebay. got mine for £20 spaced have the post code and the other code BA1 or something.

[Image: Photo0590.jpg]
Venetian XUD ph2 heaven
Ph3 perv cab heaven
Black ph1 XUD died

Moonstone hdi stage 2
Thanks given by:
(22-01-2013, 11:45 PM)karl1989 Wrote: ebay. got mine for £20 spaced have the post code and the other code BA1 or something.

Got a link to the seller you got yours off please.
NO SMOKE NO POKEBig Grin
Thanks given by:
(22-01-2013, 11:55 PM)Aaron _d95 Wrote:
(22-01-2013, 11:45 PM)karl1989 Wrote: ebay. got mine for £20 spaced have the post code and the other code BA1 or something.

Got a link to the seller you got yours off please.

x2
Thanks given by:
think this is the guy

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pressed-Metal-...1c1e30b397
Venetian XUD ph2 heaven
Ph3 perv cab heaven
Black ph1 XUD died

Moonstone hdi stage 2
Thanks given by:
(29-01-2013, 07:26 PM)karl1989 Wrote: think this is the guy

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pressed-Metal-...1c1e30b397

Thanks
NO SMOKE NO POKEBig Grin
Thanks given by:
A hot topic, some mixed comments regarding the use of these plates but the law is simple. Construction and Use act 1971 states that the plates should be of a type approved by the Secretary of State.

These powers are devolved to the DVLA and they state that the British Standard sets out the physical characteristics of the number plate.

This includes visibility, strength and reflectivity. The British Standard also requires each number plate to be permanently and legibly marked with the following information:
- the British Standard number (currently BS AU 145d);
- the name, trade mark or other means of identification of the manufacturer or component supplier; and
- the name and postcode of the supplying outlet.

-in addition to this....

- Character height 79mm
- Character width (except the figure 1 or letter I) 50mm
- Character stroke 14mm
- Space between characters 11mm
- Space between groups 33mm
- Top, bottom and side margins (minimum) 11mm
- Vertical space between groups 19mm

There are no requirements for the plate to be Plastic, however it must be REFLECTIVE.

Most Police won't stop you, but be warned that they could stop you. Its important to remember that to misrepresent a plate could mean that you get a warning and the second time you are stopped the police can seize your registration number (if personalised) and request the DVLA issues you with a Q Identifier plate. This will seriously reduce the value of your vehicle.

But they don't look reflective...
Thanks given by:
I've got metal pressed plates and haven't been pulled up on it in 3 years, and I do 20,000 miles a year - not even on MOT the bloke said it was legal because it has al the BS numbers, correct spacing, is reflected and postcoded.
Thanks given by:
[Image: img20130204133759.jpg]

I've just ordered these from eBay and seem good to me!
Thanks given by:
The ones from DubMeister regardless of what anyone says are indeed legal there's a shitload of VW's around here that use them and to clarify the matter have a look at THIS link. It comes from the police specials forum and if there's coppers using them plates then it'd be seriously dodgy to say the least.

As long as they carry the BS number, supplier details, and postcode as has been previously said then you'll be fine!
Member of Team Rather be Gay than Ginger

Member of Team Holey Engine

[Image: IM_sig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(05-02-2013, 12:12 AM)Just Sean Wrote: [Image: img20130204133759.jpg]

I've just ordered these from eBay and seem good to me!

Have you got a link to the ones you got?
Thanks given by:
(22-01-2013, 09:42 PM)Ash J Wrote:
(22-01-2013, 09:40 PM)kingy Wrote: ive had em on my car for nearly 3 years and no problems. and i dont even put the front one on all the time.

I think as Niall says, it comes do to the police in each area, using their own discretion.

But running no front plate IS illegal lmao

i have it in my front window witch is another grey area. some say its fine and leagel, others say it has to be infront of the wheels and another one i read was you carnt have it in the window because it would be at the wrong angle.
but as i said ive NEVER had any problems at all in 3 years. so untill i get my warning its in the window or if its mot time or traveling distance then it goes back on the bumper.
[Image: newsig_zpsee86fa10.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Yeah but the cops dont really go for the OAP's on things like this hence why you havnt been pulled lmao

[Image: DSC_0190-Copy_zpsf093f84d.jpg]
Member of 99% warning or your nothing club!

Thanks given by:
From what i understand is that they will fail a MOT if they dont have a reflective back on them and from what i see of pressed plates i dont think any are reflective
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pressed plate stick lolsteve 13 1,935 09-06-2015, 10:56 PM
Last Post: Nathan1305
  fog light tinting - is it legal? Dramsay1984 6 1,961 16-07-2014, 06:07 PM
Last Post: Niall
  Pressed plates Craigus 6 1,439 25-01-2014, 12:30 AM
Last Post: Mattcheese31