GTI-6 Tapping

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GTI-6 Tapping
Hi There ! Very new to forums but running out of ideas
I wondered if you have any thoughts on my problem with my GTI-6 It has a tapping noise coming from the head right below the oil filler cap which sounds like a tappet tapping but so far its had head gasket, timing belt,water pump, new inlet valves and guides and tappets and still tappeting right below the oil filler cap. Change oil spray bars still the same had an engine flush still the same.
Looking at the way the engine sit in the car the oil filler cap is the highest point the oil has to reach and thats also the cam bearing cap under oil filler gap that feeds the oil spray bar on that bank. The only thing i have not change is the oil pump or strainer in the sump
Any Ideas
I thought i would just ask ?
All the forums i have look at say i have a bent value or tight guide after a cam belt failure which has never happen
Thanks given by:
Eddoe should be akin shortly to diagnose your problem Smile
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:
Speak to Ed Doe, our resident tapper!

Oh ginge, get out!
Thanks given by:
Tappers are a shit deal. I've seen a few that have had the valves/stemseal etc all replaced and still tapped.

Welcome along by the way
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
Thanks given by:
Replace the racoon filter no? Lol
[Image: KrisB-new-Logo11.gif]
Thanks given by:
(20-01-2013, 07:56 PM)KrisB Wrote: Replace the racoon filter no? Lol

lmao

/awaitsEdDoe

[Image: DSC_0190-Copy_zpsf093f84d.jpg]
Member of 99% warning or your nothing club!

Thanks given by:
Welcome along
[Image: IMAG0356-1.gif]
Thanks given by:
Welcome to the forum mate. Hopefully someone will be able to help diagnose and fix the issue! Ignore comments about raccoon filters and Ed Doe haha
Thanks given by:
As the others have said Ed Doe is the guy you want to talk to. Scott has no idea. Welcome to my forum btw! Big Grin
Thanks given by:
(20-01-2013, 08:24 PM)Scott Wrote: Welcome to the forum mate. Hopefully someone will be able to help diagnose and fix the issue! Ignore comments about raccoon filters and Ed Doe haha

Are you trying to prevent this guy from receiving the solution to his problem? It's clearly the raccoon filter and you know it..
Thanks given by:
Hello mate

Right there is two reasons why a GTi can tap. One not so bad, other bad!

First, tappetts. They are very sensitive to the right oil and can sometimes get stuck. I would start with a flush of fresh oil, let it climb to temperature then take it out and rag the tits off of it.

Second and worst, damage to the head. Due to the oversize valves in the gti, it doesnt take much error in valve timing to clip valves and bend them. The tapping you can hear is the valve not hitting the cup square on. Sometimes they can work happily for years and years like this but every time the valve reseats, it bends slightly and over time cause the stem to weaken until finally the head snaps off in the bore destroying your engine.
If it is because of this, its basically new head time.

Edit: oh and before you go ahead and replace the head after ragging it, if that doesnt fix it, have the cams out, take the tappetts out and just bang them all out on a worktop, reassemble, fill with good quality oil and retry
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Thanks for all the answers
If you read my text you will see i have tried all of what you have suggested and it is still tapping in the same place right underneath the oil filler gap
I have replaced the valves and valve guides , Stem seals and tappets on the inlet side. It does not matter where i put the new or old tappets it still only taps in the same place
Thanks given by:
I know allot of companies cannot carry out this work, Reason for that the amount of engine's like yours and heads supplied to me rebuilt all 'TAP', so it's a case of finding a very trusted source and going over it again I'm afraid
Thanks given by:
welcome mate Smile

and you bought a 6 thats why it taps
Official Team Go-NAD fan club
Thanks given by: