help with tuning.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
help with tuning.
right, looks like i will end up in a lovely standered ph1 dturbo in the next couple of weeks.
as many of you will know im as thick as pig shite and know very little about tuning a derv.
basicly i took it out for a test drive and tbh i wasnt impresed by the performance.
i want to feel the boost and here the turbo spooling up but what are my next steps to getting this. not after masses of power as i need it to be relyable aswell.
at the moment its got a kkk turbo and a lucus pump.
i like the idea of a fmic.
so what should i be putting on my shopping list?
[Image: newsig_zpsee86fa10.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Guys iv had a chat with kingy on this subject,

Iv driven an OE & tunned KKK and IMO is a shite turbo all round and takes for ever to boost.

But the T2 both in OE & tunned form is fare better for A boosty reliable DT NO?

[Image: DSC_0190-Copy_zpsf093f84d.jpg]
Member of 99% warning or your nothing club!

Thanks given by:
You can run a stage one on a Lucas fine, if you were wanting to run veg you'd need to go Bosch, but if your not looking for that you may as well stay on the Lucas. Should already have a decat, midbox-back box conversion or a more free flowing exhaust and your set for a stage one which will run forever and still give a bit of a kick.

Waiting for someone to disagree
Thanks given by:
Kingy in all fairness mate; you're best off reading around the forum(s).

OR put up a budget thread if you want new things. (Bosch pump/turbo/front mount is fairly standard)

As for tuning: could be worth reading dans guide on tuning a Bosch: wouldnt waste time on a lucas
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:
this is it ginge, im not sure what i want. thats why i threw up this thread to get a better idea of what you get with different mods.
Thanks given by:
(20-01-2013, 07:54 PM)ginge191 Wrote: Kingy in all fairness mate; you're best off reading around the forum(s).

OR put up a budget thread if you want new things. (Bosch pump/turbo/front mount is fairly standard)

As for tuning: could be worth reading dans guide on tuning a Bosch: wouldnt waste time on a lucas

Bosch would only really be worth it if he was planning to run veg though?
Thanks given by:
I think kingy's looking for advice on the best way to build a 130bhp reliable daily driver ??

is the impression i got kingy?

Thanks given by:
I've got a Gov modded + lda modded bosch pump complete conversion setup. £100 plus postage.

Can fit it for extra £150 (includes new cambelt, fire seals, injector washers, leakoff pipe, fuel hose and boost adjustment).
[Image: KrisB-new-Logo11.gif]
Thanks given by:
If you need a hand mate im only 20 mins away
[Image: A1A3B2B1-9269-463A-9F21-2ABF4CE9BEAC-165...A3B3F7.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(20-01-2013, 07:56 PM)puglove Wrote: I think kingy's looking for advice on the best way to build a 130bhp reliable daily driver ??

is the impression i got kingy?

thanks jamie, thats exactly what im loking for.

(20-01-2013, 07:59 PM)KrisB Wrote: I've got a Gov modded + lda modded bosch pump complete conversion setup. £100 plus postage.

Can fit it for extra £150 (includes new cambelt, fire seals, injector washers, leakoff pipe, fuel hose and boost adjustment).

see, this sounds good to me. one stop shop. what sort of gains are we looking for this?
sounds like a bargin to me as i would need the cam belt doing anyway.
Thanks given by:
(20-01-2013, 08:00 PM)Oil-burner Wrote: If you need a hand mate im only 20 mins away

I was going to say ask Simon as he has experience with tuning. Also have a look on YouTube for darrenjlobs video very easy to follow. If you want a hand we should hold a meet at Simons while he installs has fmic tunes my hdi and your dturbo for you.
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
[Image: 6b0c7309-5184-463c-9f73-2a7b96601418_zpsfdf041fe.jpg]
Thanks given by:
ive seen the vids on youtube. as for a meet then that sounds cool. simon, how are you with dturbos then?
Thanks given by:
(20-01-2013, 08:14 PM)kingy Wrote: ive seen the vids on youtube. as for a meet then that sounds cool. simon, how are you with dturbos then?

He used to own a sedan Smile
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
Thanks given by:
Also check out jammapic's guide on tdocuk if you stop with the Lucas pump. He done a really good write up on it and easy to follow!
Thanks given by:
thanks all. i can see im going to be busy for a little while.
Thanks given by:
Youud see approx 130bhp and 200ftlb on what I can do for you.

Bare in mind your turbo is crap, you should think about an upgrade to accompany the pump (which can also be upgraded to 11mm head), and a FMIC.

You'll probably need a new clutch after the bosch too, old clutches won't handle the power hike.

I supply only cambelt. If you want tensioner, idler, waterpump and coolant doing then that's a further £110 inc labour.
[Image: KrisB-new-Logo11.gif]
Thanks given by:
If you'd like I could have a wonder down one day and well have a go. Smile iirc the car already has a boost guage.
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
Thanks given by:
(20-01-2013, 08:31 PM)KrisB Wrote: Youud see approx 130bhp and 200ftlb on what I can do for you.

Bare in mind your turbo is crap, you should think about an upgrade to accompany the pump (which can also be upgraded to 11mm head), and a FMIC.

You'll probably need a new clutch after the bosch too, old clutches won't handle the power hike.

I supply only cambelt. If you want tensioner, idler, waterpump and coolant doing then that's a further £110 inc labour.

i think the best thing is to get the car, save up some exta money and then contact you. i know how good you are and would love you to do the work for me. only trouble is that if it carnt be done in a day then i will have problems as i live up north.

(20-01-2013, 08:47 PM)kentiiboii Wrote: If you'd like I could have a wonder down one day and well have a go. Smile iirc the car already has a boost guage.

it has kent. but i dont want to waste money and time pissing about and feckin things up. much rarther get what im gonna do sorted then do it. bucket load of thanks for the offer anyway mate.
still come down and suck me off if you wish,
Thanks given by:
(20-01-2013, 08:47 PM)kingy Wrote:
(20-01-2013, 08:31 PM)KrisB Wrote: Youud see approx 130bhp and 200ftlb on what I can do for you.

i think the best thing is to get the car, save up some exta money and then contact you. i know how good you are and would love you to do the work for me. only trouble is that if it carnt be done in a day then i will have problems as i live up north.

(20-01-2013, 08:47 PM)kentiiboii Wrote: If you'd like I could have a wonder down one day and well have a go. Smile iirc the car already has a boost guage.

it has kent. but i dont want to waste money and time pissing about and feckin things up. much rarther get what im gonna do sorted then do it. bucket load of thanks for the offer anyway mate.
still come down and suck me off if you wish,

Thats the beauty of xuds mate if youve already got a boost gauge in thats it, stage 1s are free!!

I wont be doing the fmic for a while yet, need a weekend with guaranteed good weather, plus ive not even got all the pipework sorted yet.
I say meet at kents, remap the hdi (15 mins tops) and tune the td. Im sure kent knows a local road you can open her up to fine tune the pump.
Thanks given by:
Wow. Sounds good.
Thanks given by:
(20-01-2013, 09:58 PM)kingy Wrote: Wow. Sounds good.

Yeah I kinda miss mine for that, saves £70-120 every time you want it remapped!

And fyi I had the kkk turbo on mine and it was fine, its always been said that the t2 is the preferred turbo but there isnt that much in it, nothing to warrant swaping them anyway.

As said above it all depends what you want from it, if you want a 180bhp gti eating monster then the 11mm pump and big blower is a must but if your just wanting 120-130 I wouldnt bother, jammapic managed really good results on a lucas.
Running veg is awesome tho!

Edit: if you're having the cambelt done you may aswell put a bosch on while your at it, the jobs almost done when the belts off!
If you buy one before hand theres loads of gov mod guides on here/over there and the lda mod you can do on the car
Thanks given by:
Your welcome to come down and have a test. I'd say best road is either road going down to MFN never used only 2 houses down there. Or back of my house I have the a610 Smile
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
Thanks given by:
(20-01-2013, 11:17 PM)kentiiboii Wrote: Your welcome to come down and have a test. I'd say best road is either road going down to MFN never used only 2 houses down there. Or back of my house I have the a610 Smile

its only to check smoke and boost so as long as we can give it a bit of a boot its all good!
PM me the ecu Number Kent and ill see If I've got a file.
Thanks given by:
Deffo a bosch is needed, send your LDA to Dan! and get that sorted for a start Big Grin
MG ZR TD+ - gone and easily forgotten
Fabia vRS PD130 - New daily
Astra H VXR - new toy!
Thanks given by:
Just buy my dturbo, it has a Bosch and a garret turbo already on Smile
[Image: 704e7db1.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(20-01-2013, 11:34 PM)Oil-burner Wrote:
(20-01-2013, 11:17 PM)kentiiboii Wrote: Your welcome to come down and have a test. I'd say best road is either road going down to MFN never used only 2 houses down there. Or back of my house I have the a610 Smile

its only to check smoke and boost so as long as we can give it a bit of a boot its all good!
PM me the ecu Number Kent and ill see If I've got a file.

Ill let you know. As I say got to email whippy to get a copy of my old map anyway. I'm not going for big boost on this just stick to a nice stage 1 Smile
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
Thanks given by:
(20-01-2013, 07:51 PM)puglove Wrote: Guys iv had a chat with kingy on this subject,

Iv driven an OE & tunned KKK and IMO is a shite turbo all round and takes for ever to boost.

nothing wrong with a K14, i've had both a T2 and a K14 and you can't put anything between them imo . . .134 bhp on my current car says there's nowt' wrong with a K14 . . . .must have been a duffer you were in puglove Smile

to summarise don't even bother considering swapping from a K14 to a T2 . .you won't notice a difference . .
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
^^ the man tells the truth!
Thanks given by:
k14 is a great turbo, hardest oem one to break imo, just fit an mbc the wg adjustment is rubbish.
Thanks given by:
(21-01-2013, 05:08 PM)Mattcheese31 Wrote:
(20-01-2013, 07:51 PM)puglove Wrote: Guys iv had a chat with kingy on this subject,

nothing wrong with a K14, i've had both a T2 and a K14 and you can't put anything between them imo . . .134 bhp on my current car says there's nowt' wrong with a K14 . . . .must have been a duffer you were in puglove Smile

to summarise don't even bother considering swapping from a K14 to a T2 . .you won't notice a difference . .

(25-12-2012, 10:16 AM)kingy Wrote: i think the lazers look the tits. got me thinking now, i was looking for clones for mine but might go back to lazers. mmmmm

Well my sigma is currently on a kkk and OE tune and its a shite turbo IMO takes foreve to boost .

Ryan@306 has a kkk boostin at 20psi and my t2 at 20psi rapes his because im gone by the time he gets on boost. So thats just the experence iv had with them.

I donr like it so much im swapping the whole engine for my T2'd one into my sigma lol

Thanks given by: