Torsion bar conversion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Torsion bar conversion
Wondering if any Peugeot experienced brains can help me Smile??
I've got a 306 hdi 1999 and the rear axle is clambering. So the wheels have cambered so much there at the point of rubbing on inner arches at the rear. I have sourced a 1.4 drum torsion bar which is straight. Mine is lowered and so is the 1.4 one so that's the reason I hae sourced one off a 1.4 as its local and lowered.
Cn anyone tell me if it's fine for me to fit this onto my hdi. I've been told drums are better in most cases anyway and have better handbrake. Am I okay to switch this straight over? Will the brake pipes be the same? I've heard they need a little bend of the pipes to fit and need to change handbrake cables off of the 1.4. Will it be safe?
Or is there anyway or just unbolting my discs and bolting them onto the 1.4 torsion bar instead of the drums. Much thanks of anyone can help.
Thanks given by:
I believe the pipes will be a straight fit, If the 1.4 beam has ABS, If it doesnt have ABS Its a right pain,

Also a most importantly, It will handle like shite, The Torsion bars are no where near as thick wich will give a soft bouncy ride, the ARB is half as thick so it will body roll like f*ck in the corners,

Personly i wouldnt even think about it

[Image: DSC_0190-Copy_zpsf093f84d.jpg]
Member of 99% warning or your nothing club!

Thanks given by:
So it won't be safe at all? Anyone else know about this?
Thanks given by:
You can swap over the stub axles and torsion bars and ARB to make it HDi specification. The 1.4 will have real saggy bars and different brakes.
[Image: KrisB-new-Logo11.gif]
Thanks given by:
(20-01-2013, 07:33 PM)KrisB Wrote: You can swap over the stub axles and torsion bars and ARB to make it HDi specification. The 1.4 will have real saggy bars and different brakes.

would this be the same for the 1.6?
[Image: newsig_zpsee86fa10.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(20-01-2013, 07:35 PM)kingy Wrote:
(20-01-2013, 07:33 PM)KrisB Wrote: You can swap over the stub axles and torsion bars and ARB to make it HDi specification. The 1.4 will have real saggy bars and different brakes.

would this be the same for the 1.6?

Yes

Putting GTI ARB's & TB's in will be a great improvment

(20-01-2013, 07:33 PM)welsh-boy-hughesi Wrote: So it won't be safe at all? Anyone else know about this?

It wont be "unsafe" it will just make the car shit to drive, if you like to give it a little stick in corners, guessing by you having it lowered this is the case

Thanks given by:
Hi kris b. isn't it the stub axles that wear down to cause them to camber? And aren't they a total ballache to remove the stub axles?
Thanks given by:
(20-01-2013, 07:41 PM)welsh-boy-hughesi Wrote: Hi kris b. isn't it the stub axles that wear down to cause them to camber? And aren't they a total ballache to remove the stub axles?

Its the bearings that wear and couse the camber, But if yours is as bad as you say, id place my bets on the stub being fooked aswell

Thanks given by:
Just to correct puglove, the camber is from the PIN pitting, not the stub.
[Image: KrisB-new-Logo11.gif]
Thanks given by:
So I can fit my stubs onto the 1.4 beam and change the torsion bars. Can I change just the torsion bars if I want to keep the drums. Better handbrake. Can I change the torsion bars without removing the stubs?
Thanks given by:
(20-01-2013, 07:44 PM)KrisB Wrote: Just to correct puglove, the camber is from the PIN pitting, not the stub.

Yeah my bad, Doh

Thanks given by:
Just to set me straight. Only difference in the 1.4 beam to the hdi beam is there will be more body roll if hammering through corners. Got baby on way so can't see me harding into corners that often haha. So will it be fine just for normal driving about?
Thanks given by: