Grey/black clouds

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Grey/black clouds
Alryt guy's, Ive got olly p's black ph1 dt with the t25 turbo nowa days and it appears ive broken it!

Basicly i left it for like 2-3 days then took it out day before yesterday in the snow, Obviously didnt use boost as it was like an ice ring. Then i take the car out yesterday and notice the turbo wasnt really pulling properly and i had a f**k load of grey with a little black smoke like i'd never seen before and noticed the temp guage seemed to get hotter when it was puffing the clouds out the back. I think maybe a boost leak as the turbo has a welded wastegate, perhaps the welds cracked due to the freezing conditions? I say that as the turbo still boosts to 25 psi, just isnt as spontaneous as usual, and past experiances normally grey smoke can be caused by a boost leak. Also i can hear an odd sound from the engine bay when trying to boost which i'd like to say sounds like a boost leak but the turbo spool is so loud i cant really tell tbh, Any advice? cheers
Thanks given by:
I think your right in thinking it could be a boost leak, not really much advice that can be given though, other than try and find it!
[Image: 20120704_212316.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Yeah i know, Ive been over it a couple of times now and found no leak in the pipework or intercooler so thats what led me to think about the wastegate, Cant really get under it atm though as its a sheet of ice outside Sad
Thanks given by:
Boost leak sounds about right
Thanks given by:
You had these problems on your old hdi didnt you chris?
Thanks given by:
Nope
Thanks given by:
I meant the wastegate when the car was at krisb's?
Thanks given by:
If the wastegate was welded whilst the turbo was on the car surely they only welded the actuator arm as the wastegates internal?
Thanks given by:
(21-01-2013, 02:51 PM)Jaymes306 Wrote: If the wastegate was welded whilst the turbo was on the car surely they only welded the actuator arm as the wastegates internal?

They could have taken the elbow off to get to it.
GT2052s DTurbo
OEM+ HDI Estate
Project thread
Thanks given by:
i wouldnt have thought weld on wastegate would go tbh as if it did wouldnt boost to 25psi IMO
[Image: J5hxCcC.jpg]
Thanks given by:
True, Wouldnt boost to that if the turbo was dieing though surely?
Thanks given by:
Im not sure buddy ive only ever had turbo just fail on the spot randomly, ive got a screatch mid boost but could be anything and not sure. have you checked all hoses even lda hose, i know mine was sat all day yesterday while i was all cosy and then came to drive home late at night and turbo didnt seem to kick up as normal but then today was fine
Thanks given by:
Thats odd lol, Well ive just used the car again and im baffled tbh, When i first noticed this problem 2 days ago it wouldnt boost above 20 psi, then yesterday back to 25 psi and now its boosting over 25 psi toward 28?!? what the hell?
Thanks given by:
Small update, Im now getting a very noticable screaming noise at max psi, Still isnt boosting properly at all. I checked over all the piping and no leaks, checked the inlet gasket and couldnt see anything there i did however notice the turbo shaft has like 3-5mm play?!?!
Thanks given by:
If turbo shaft has 5mm play then I think theres your answer.

My T25 has no/minimal play.
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
[Image: signature.png]
Thanks given by:
5mm would defiantly be hitting the compressor housing. Although its very difficult to accurately measure play with your fingers. Check for in out play to. By the sounds of it, the turbo is buggered
GT2052s DTurbo
OEM+ HDI Estate
Project thread
Thanks given by:
Ill check the in out play tommorow, and yeah hard to judge with fingers but ive tested plenty of k14's and gt15s having hardly no play then to feel this one earlier and tell there was a serious problem. Luckily the t25 ive got is fairly easy and cheap to get hold of
Thanks given by:
update, in out play is amence. same as before 3-5mm in and out evan makes a nice clicky noise too! getting lots of pure white smoke on start up too (enough to make carparks vanish) i think the turbos a gonner?
Thanks given by:
Sounds like you're filling your exhaust with oil sir, definitely a gonner. Just be careful if you have to drive it, total failure could lead to oil in the inlet, and that's not a good thing
[Image: signature_zps1a02ba79.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Its cool, Ive already started taking it apart would of had the turbo off tonight but it started snowing Sad trying to do it from the tops a pain in the ass!
Thanks given by:
piece of piss if you take engine off mount and rock forward Smile
Thanks given by:
Yeah turbos out, Managed to go see a friend earlier and get another garret t25 turbo so just a case of swapping some bits over and fingers crossed she'll be alryt. Any ideas why the previous owner would have welded the wastegate shut and used a MBC? Its just that ive been told that the turbos gate was welded close (which it is) and with the mbc car would only boost to 25 psi and overfuels still (epic smoke lol). Would correct it if i know what needs to be done
Thanks given by:
(24-01-2013, 04:27 PM)Jaymes306 Wrote: Yeah turbos out, Managed to go see a friend earlier and get another garret t25 turbo so just a case of swapping some bits over and fingers crossed she'll be alryt. Any ideas why the previous owner would have welded the wastegate shut and used a MBC? Its just that ive been told that the turbos gate was welded close (which it is) and with the mbc car would only boost to 25 psi and overfuels still (epic smoke lol). Would correct it if i know what needs to be done

What type of MBC is it?

If it's a bleed valve it's a bit of a bodged way of doing it, maybe the actuator was knackered?

Stick to using an actuator and use the MBC to fine tune boost pressure. Welding it shut can lead to boost spikes and overspeeding the shaft, which MAY lead to a f*cked blower.
[Image: signature_zps1a02ba79.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(24-01-2013, 04:27 PM)Jaymes306 Wrote: Yeah turbos out, Managed to go see a friend earlier and get another garret t25 turbo so just a case of swapping some bits over and fingers crossed she'll be alryt. Any ideas why the previous owner would have welded the wastegate shut and used a MBC? Its just that ive been told that the turbos gate was welded close (which it is) and with the mbc car would only boost to 25 psi and overfuels still (epic smoke lol). Would correct it if i know what needs to be done

The MBC wouldn't of done anything, as it releases at a set psi e.g. 20 the air would be let through then going to the wastegate/actuator which would then open, however its welded so theres no where for it to go. Therefore the MBC isn't effectively doing anything.

I think people have managed to get T2 wastegates to fit TD04's so don't think it would be any harder putting one on a T25.
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
[Image: signature.png]
Thanks given by:
Oh right, i though it would be something to do with the fact its a hybrid, t25 compressor slid into a k14 hot sided turbo housing
Thanks given by:
Sorry but am i getting a bit confused here, Hybrid turbo?!? a Garrett T25 compressor into a KKK K14 hotside. If im right this isnt possible at all starting to sound like a 18G hybrid TD04 this :S
Thanks given by:
Can anyone else smell that?
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
Im not alone then lol
Thanks given by:
My mistake, Basicly the compressor(silver bit with shaft inside) from the t25 fitted into a t2's housing (the rusty shit bit) straght fit aswell as ive spent past couple hours swapping the bits over. only mod it needed was 2 new holes drilling for the t2 bracket to fit the t25
Thanks given by:
nobody beleive me then lol?
Thanks given by: