Need a PROPER family car haha

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need a PROPER family car haha
So as a few of you may of seen on Facebook, (the ones I have) after 4 years of the GTI being the daily and family car! I've decided it's time it comes off the road and have a good year out to have some well needed tlc! And some other ninja things done! 

So I'm looking for a family car, never thought I would say it but a 5 door haha! What would you all recommend! I have two kiddies so I want something safe! Had a look round a focus which was pretty nice but keeping option open. Helpp Smile
Free hangover cures!
Thanks given by:
5 door 306?

Someone was going to say it lol
Thanks given by:
Peugeot 806 xud9, rolland garos.

/Thread
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(23-08-2016, 07:47 PM)bigcheez2k3 Wrote: 5 door 306?

Someone was going to say it lol

Hahaha! As much as I'd like another 306! My lovely mummy is buying me this car and I have 3,000 to spend to want to get something worth the money haha!
Free hangover cures!
Thanks given by:
As much as it hurt and goes against everything i believe in but i drive a civic 2.2 cdti as daily and shamefully i love it, nice drive imo. Personally id go a test drive a few cars to see what suits you best.
90' 205 gti6 supercharged
05' Evo 9 IX GT

Team eaton.

Axle rebuilds please contact me for your needs.

https://www.facebook.com/axlesbystef/
Thanks given by:
Subaru Forester.
Big enough boot, Japanese reliability, comfortable, 5 doors, 4wd and decent ground clearance so you don't get stuck in snow/mud as easily.
Get a turbo and it'll be no slouch either.
Thanks given by:
Saab 93 saloon or estate, 150bhp diesel.
Or Volvo v50 derv estate.

Both cheap for what you get, well equipped, roomy, fun end quick enough and bags of room

...safe too
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Never ask. Go drive some cars you like. This thread will turn into another huge argument of why Tom thinks a Focus, Chris suggests something stupidly impractical, Sam & Niall will say Saab, me and Danny will say BMW, Ruan will say a Volvo is the best car you could ever buy & a few others will slate every suggestion unless you buy a 306 as they've got their blinkers on. You'll buy the car you like & probably liked from the beginning then someone will suggest it needs a 40mm drop & clones.

Just summarising the next 4 pages so you don't have to worry about reading it again, may as well close it now.
Thanks given by: Piggy
saab 93 diesel. So much car for your money and the safest car around!
Thanks given by:
Looks like Jordan has written my post for me. Tongue

Mk2.5 Focus ftw. Your budget should get you a 1.8 TDCi, no DPF so be fine for school runs and town stuff with some MPG and reasonable tax. Titanium if you want toys, Zetec S if you want a bodykit.

As above though, drive some, even just sitting in some will put you off if you're as picky as me lol.
Thanks given by:
...sorry tom...but the 1.8?!?! The engine that has essentially had no money spent on it for refinement since 1986?
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Both the 1.6 and 2.0 TDCi have DPFs. IIRC Sian does a lot of short runs that won't suit a DPF. As much as I dislike the 1.8 and wouldn't have one myself I think it'd suit here.

They're not refined but then nor are DV6s tbh, with fewer problems though!! Usual fault is injectors but they've pretty much all been done under warranty now.
Thanks given by:
Saab 9 3 ttid 180bhp as standard and 45mpg around town
Thanks given by:
My honda accord was lush inside! 

If you get a honda 2.2 cdti, chech the exhaust manifold, as they crack and arent cheap.

But if as Tom says, you do short runs, i have a 1.8 petrol civic, get well over 55mpg on a slow motorway and 40mpg doing normal everyday driving. You don't HAVE  to buy a diesel! You can have a fun 5 door petrol like your GTi that is a little better on fuel.

But I agree with above generally. Go try loads and see which ones you like.
Thanks given by:
(23-08-2016, 08:50 PM)JJ0063 Wrote: Never ask. Go drive some cars you like. This thread will turn into another huge argument of why Tom thinks a Focus, Chris suggests something stupidly impractical, Sam & Niall will say Saab, me and Danny will say BMW, Ruan will say a Volvo is the best car you could ever buy & a few others will slate every suggestion unless you buy a 306 as they've got their blinkers on. You'll buy the car you like & probably liked from the beginning then someone will suggest it needs a 40mm drop & clones.

Just summarising the next 4 pages so you don't have to worry about reading it again, may as well close it now.

That's so accurate lol
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(23-08-2016, 08:50 PM)JJ0063 Wrote: Never ask. Go drive some cars you like. This thread will turn into another huge argument of why Tom thinks a Focus, Chris suggests something stupidly impractical, Sam & Niall will say Saab, me and Danny will say BMW, Ruan will say a Volvo is the best car you could ever buy & a few others will slate every suggestion unless you buy a 306 as they've got their blinkers on. You'll buy the car you like & probably liked from the beginning then someone will suggest it needs a 40mm drop & clones.

Repped for truth! lol
[Image: 17b33c2a-8471-4313-992e-0a4b324cf926_zps2e63812a.jpg]
Team Cyril
Thanks given by:

Hahhaa brilliant! Only asked as I've only ever really had 306s the longest really! This one will be staying completely standard so wanted something that looked decent without any mods ' don't like saabs soz ;Winkthe girls dad has many bmws and as much as I like them! They aren't for me! Thanks for summarising though ha
Free hangover cures!
Thanks given by:
Tbh i would go with a focus Smile avoid most things french for everyday motoring!
Team Cyril
Thanks given by:
A 1.8 focus is off the cards.. I'm not allowed one. Same reason as piggy has said hahahaha! Every car is going to seem strange to drive I guess compared to the constant noises from the GTI haha! And the whole 6 gears to 5 will be weird! How long will it be before I kill it! Gonna look at some later hopefully Smile

(24-08-2016, 09:28 AM)Matt-Rallye Wrote: Tbh i would go with a focus Smile avoid most things french for everyday motoring!

I pm'd you on Facebook of the focus Smile
Free hangover cures!
Thanks given by:
Lots of modern cars are 6 speed lol. Including the 1.8 TDCi Focus. But not the 1.6, I still keep trying to grab reverse at speed. lol
Thanks given by:
Hahaha! I think I may do this :/ I had a vectra over Christmas last year as a courtesy car while mine was in for work. And I kept thinking I had 6th Sad
Free hangover cures!
Thanks given by:
My Vectra had a 6th. Wink As did the Golfs. And of course the GTi6s. Seems it's a hard habit to break though, I've had the Focus nearly 2 years now lol.

Which Focus engine were you looking at if you aren't allowed a 1.8? Ford are pretty stingy with spec unless you go for bigger engines, anything smaller than a 1.8 (petrol or diesel) get's drum brakes ffs! Sad
Thanks given by:
(24-08-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: My Vectra had a 6th. Wink  As did the Golfs.  And of course the GTi6s.  Seems it's a hard habit to break though, I've had the Focus nearly 2 years now lol.

Which Focus engine were you looking at if you aren't allowed a 1.8?  Ford are pretty stingy with spec unless you go for bigger engines, anything smaller than a 1.8 (petrol or diesel) get's drum brakes ffs! Sad

Drum rear brakes are way better than disc anyway! far superior handbrake. 

Can get a 1.6 petrol Ghia or Titanium (top spec) for reasonable money, they are solid made, safe, cheap and parts are plentiful which ticks all the boxes for an everyday school run car Smile
Team Cyril
Thanks given by:
Drum brakes are shit. They lock on all the time. They don't adjust properly. The handbrake isn't any better in my experience. And they look shit if you go for something with 'open' alloys. At least the Titanium multispokes hide them on mine, but they are a pain to clean lol.
Thanks given by:
(24-08-2016, 11:39 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Drum brakes are shit.  They lock on all the time.  They don't adjust properly.  The handbrake isn't any better in my experience.   And they look shit if you go for something with 'open' alloys.  At least the Titanium multispokes hide them on mine, but they are a pain to clean lol.

All of what you have said there is bullshit. 

For spirited driving / racecar.. rear discs are better. For the everyday run about car, rear drums are superior.
Team Cyril
Thanks given by:
(24-08-2016, 11:52 AM)Matt-Rallye Wrote:
(24-08-2016, 11:39 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Drum brakes are shit.  They lock on all the time.  They don't adjust properly.  The handbrake isn't any better in my experience.   And they look shit if you go for something with 'open' alloys.  At least the Titanium multispokes hide them on mine, but they are a pain to clean lol.

All of what you have said there is bullshit. 

For spirited driving / racecar.. rear discs are better. For the everyday run about car, rear drums are superior.

Im with matt here i prefer running drums on my dailys. The problem with drums is lack of maitance on the owners behalf. Pay to have them cleaned and greased its not hard ive never had an issue.

Buy a v70/s80 for that sorta money. Reliable cheap to run, noce to drive, safe for kids. Thats my 2p anyway its what i want to replace my pug with when i have my racecar built
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
It's a 1.6 ghia Smile
Free hangover cures!
Thanks given by:
Amen on the handbrakes.
Drum for the daily win. FAR superior handbrake and no real need for rear discs on a daily.
Plus, as said, if you maintain them...never have I had issues
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Meh, yeah, JJ will slag me off for saying it because I'm biased, but don't give a shit.

My V50 2.0d has been cracking for me, I've put over 70k miles on mine, been ace. Cheap on parts, comfortable for long distances, reliable (original clutch and fly at 151k, replaced rear dampers and a wheel bearing - otherwise general servicing upkeep), powerful enough for most and fine to drive... Later ones with DPFs rarely have issues, at least in comparison to the 1.6 HDi they put in them and everything else... Can't fault it.

Exactly the same as a Focus estate, but a bit nicer inside basically.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
(24-08-2016, 03:34 PM)Ruan Wrote: Meh, yeah, JJ will slag me off for saying it because I'm biased, but don't give a shit.

My V50 2.0d has been cracking for me, I've put over 70k miles on mine, been ace. Cheap on parts, comfortable for long distances, reliable (original clutch and fly at 151k, replaced rear dampers and a wheel bearing - otherwise general servicing upkeep), powerful enough for most and fine to drive... Later ones with DPFs rarely have issues, at least in comparison to the 1.6 HDi they put in them and everything else... Can't fault it.

Exactly the same as a Focus estate, but a bit nicer inside basically.

I'd never slag you off Ruan, you cheeky boy. But yeah, we're all biased & it's a very natural thing.

I would say more predictable than biased, but beggars can't be choosers. 

I like a V50, I'd have a V50 (Although never a 2.0D, too boring. Driven the 2.4 auto & what a beautiful engine it was) although personally prefer how the BMW engine drives as they drive like a petrol somehow.

I'd also say if you go for a diesel Sian, try a 5/6 cylinder as well as a 4 cylinder. I'd put money on which one you'd go for as there is no comparison.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Spotify Family Eeyore 8 2,385 04-10-2016, 04:52 PM
Last Post: ginge191
  New family wagon advice. bashbarnard 57 9,008 09-01-2016, 03:48 PM
Last Post: Orta
  Family Easter 306pc 3 1,302 07-04-2015, 03:25 AM
Last Post: Iceman299